Doc, I need help making a decision.

trubluluc
trubluluc Posts: 2,067
Yeah this is Miles (Luc on this site) again.
And yeah, I thought we had this all settled, a second PB1.
But man, now I'm thinking again, (part of the problem) what if I went with just one sub?
Ultimately less space taken up,
less expense,
less calibration (phase) issues.

Here's the question:
PB2 or PB1+ ?

I listen to more music than watch movies, although I watch a fair amount of movies.
Room size is 13'wide 16'long 8'ceiling,
hardwood floor on beams (not slab).
Two openings to room, but also two closed corners, one front, one rear.

I like the idea of the better driver PB1+,
but don't really care to spend more on the aesthetics of a wood finish, as the sub is hidden in the corner, in fact I would really prefer it to be black,
as everything else is.
I like the fact that the PB1 is slightly smaller and lighter, but really, it's not that much of a difference.
I have never listened to music or watched movies at "reference level", nor do I plan to, so I doubt that I would ever overdrive either of these subs.
Of course it would be nice to save $200 bucks, but it's not the most important consideration, tonal accuracy is much more important to me.
Coming from using two Polk psw450's, either way I go on this would be up.
I like the fact that the PB1+ uses less electricity, (living in cal) and I think it has a better amp, but I'm not sure on this.

Crux question:
Do you think the db12 woofer to be truly superior to the standard ISD woofer and is the amp better as well?
Is there a different direction altogether that would be better? PC+ PC ultra?

Doc, if you can cypher through my ramblings and point me in a direction, I most likely will go that way.

Thanks!

-Luc
Post edited by trubluluc on

Comments

• steveinaz
    steveinaz Posts: 19,521
    edited April 2004
    here's a quote from another post by Doc:

"With the Plus line, you get:

- a much more capable woofer, the dB-12
    - a 525 watt amp
    - triple flared ports with variable tuning
    - a CV 0-180 phase control
    - custom EQ curves and infrasonic filters at each tune point

Easily worth $225 extra IMO. The Plus line of subs rocks."
    Source: Bluesound Node 2i - Preamp/DAC: Benchmark DAC2 DX - Amp: Parasound Halo A21 - Speakers: MartinLogan Motion 60XTi - Shop Rig: Yamaha A-S501 Integrated - Shop Spkrs: Elac Debut 2.0 B5.2
  • trubluluc
    edited April 2004
    Yeah I'm leaning toward the Plus line now,even more towards the cylinder (PC+20-39).
    It's tuneable, goes way deep, smaller footprint, lighter to carry, cheaper than the PB1+, and black.... like all the rest of my speakers. I'd also consider the Ultra, but I'd have to be convinced of its superiority over the PC+ to be willing to spend the extra cash.

I'll just wait to hear from the good Dr. before making a choice.

-Luc
  • steveinaz
    steveinaz Posts: 19,521
    edited April 2004
    I just purchased the 25-31 PC+, supposed to be here Wednesday. I'm going to "attempt" to integrate it with my 2-channel only system. I'll post how it all works out.
    Source: Bluesound Node 2i - Preamp/DAC: Benchmark DAC2 DX - Amp: Parasound Halo A21 - Speakers: MartinLogan Motion 60XTi - Shop Rig: Yamaha A-S501 Integrated - Shop Spkrs: Elac Debut 2.0 B5.2
  • Dr. Spec
    Dr. Spec Posts: 3,780
    edited April 2004
    Yes, the dB-12 is a better woofer than the ISD. Yes, it has better tonal accuracy and about 5 dB more output below 30 Hz (2-3 dB above 30 Hz) with commensurately lower distortion at any given SPL.

Although I have the big box right now, I remain a huge cylinder fan, and wouldn't hesitate to recommend one. I was sorry to see mine go, and the 20-39PC+ trolls deeper than sin.

Want the ultimate cylinder? PC-Ultra. The TV-12 is unmatched in SQ and delivery (it should be for $600), and I've heard a LOT of subs, both in my room and in demo sessions. What the TV-12 does with music and movies almost defies description. Yes, it's a big premium over the Plus. Is it worth it? That all depends on you. It DOES sound better than the Plus, but the difference might be 9/10 vs. 9.8/10 - both are spectacular. If you get the Ultra, you'll also get the PEQ feature - nice for taming a room hump.

If not, you won't be disappointed with the PC+ and believe it or not, it will be a big step up from the PB1-ISD. I know you think bass can't get much better than the PB1-ISD (and it's truly a fine sub by any standard, as you know), but you're dealing with SVS.
    "What we do in life echoes in eternity"

Ed Mullen (emullen@svsound.com)
    Director - Technology and Customer Service
    SVS
  • kingkip
    kingkip Posts: 401
    edited April 2004
    Trub

Not to pick at a still living (maybe soon to be) carcass, but if you do decide to be rid of the pb1, I may be interested:) Just letting you know (pick, pick, pick....)

Kip
    There are two ways to argue with women. Both of them are wrong.
  • trubluluc
    edited April 2004
    Cylinder it is....
    I just have to chew on the choice PC+ or Ultra,
    I'm thinking Plus at this point. The PB1 is awe inspiring,
    and if the plus is even more so, I can't imagine it getting much better.

thanks again bro!

-Luc
  • trubluluc
    edited April 2004
    Ron will ship out my new PC+ 20-39 sub.
    on Monday.

Yeah baby!
    :D

-Luc
  • Dr. Spec
    edited April 2004
    Cool! It will be interesting for you to compare the two side by side. The 20-39PC+ will own the room at higher volumes; it has amazing output in the lowest registers.

If Kingkip wants your PB1, have him contact Ron and they will already have it "pre-sold" to another customer instead of having to list it B-Stock.

SVS
  • scottvamp
    scottvamp Posts: 3,277
    edited April 2004
    I have been debating which SVS i want. I think i will be getting the PB2 - Plus. It seems to the best for the money. The next model up over doubles in price. I will be ordering in the next month..... Can't wait!!!!! :D
  • Dr. Spec
    edited April 2004
    Being a hard core HT buff, the PB2+ is definitely the best choice for you, Scott.

It's devastatingly powerful and clean, and trolls to 20 Hz in the stock tune. Plug a port and it will still easily outgun your PSW1200 and dig to 15 Hz in the process.

It's a great sub - just make sure you have the room for it.

SVS
  • trubluluc
    edited April 2004
    The sub will go back to SVS for a thorough going over; to make sure everything is in good shape. The little dent is on the back left corner, so not even noticeable.
    As I said prveviously, I could have lived with the dent.
    And now, that they will check out that there is no internal damage, it will be in fine shape.
    These are backordered currently so if you want it email Ron or Erik and let them know.

SVS email:

"SVS - Erik K" <erik@svsubwoofers.com>

-Luc
  • kingkip
    kingkip Posts: 401
    edited April 2004
    Thanks Luc,

left Erik an email, so we'll see...
    There are two ways to argue with women. Both of them are wrong.
  • trubluluc
    edited April 2004
    UPS picked up the PB1 yesterday, so it should be on it's way. I hope it all works out for you.

UPS should be bringing my PC+ today, I hope all is well.

-Luc
  • Dr. Spec
    edited April 2004
    Originally posted by trubluluc

UPS should be bringing my PC+ today, I hope all is well.

-Luc

Get ready for a face melter. The Plus has an aggressive ease of delivery on the really hard/deep stuff than the ISD doesn't quite match. You'll see what I mean right away when you fire up that 500 watt WOMD and cut loose.

SVS