Roon Labs App

tophatjohnny
tophatjohnny Posts: 4,162
edited February 2018 in Going Digital
Jusy checking to see if anyone here is using the paid app. Kinda pricy, but if this is a company that will stay in business for a while (hard to tell anymore who will last and who will not) but the lifetime membership seems like a bet if it does work well. On the fence as I usually am before diving into anything so any feedback from members here would be appreciated and hope all is well.

https://roonlabs.com/
"if it's not fun, it's not worth it & remember folks, "It's All About The Music"!!

Comments

• rooftop59
    rooftop59 Posts: 7,952
    Since acquiring a Bryston BDP-1 from a extremely generous karma (@BlueFox), I signed up so I could stream Tidal including MQA to the bryston. I now use it to stream to both rooms, and i really like it.

3 favorite things:
    1. seemlessly blends your own files (of which I have over 5000) and your Tidal favorites.
    2. the radio function - when a cd is done, it immediately starts playing songs from your library (owned and streamed) that is similar. On the weekends I will often start off with one album in the morning and then just have the radio going for hours while doing chores around the house. Great for reminding me of things I have forgotten about...
    3. streams MQA. Does it make a difference? In that way its kinda like decent cables for me. Rather have it than not...

As for a lifetime membership, not technology is going to last your lifetime. But it might last several years. So If you save money over paying for say, 3 years of membership, I might do it, if it takes more than that I would be hesitant...
    Living Room 2.2: Usher BE-718 "tiny dancers"; Dual DIY Dayton audio RSS210HF-4 Subs with Dayton SPA-250 amps; Arcam SA30; Musical Fidelity A308; Sony UBP-x1000es; Squeezebox Touch with Bolder Power Supply
    Game Room 5.1.4:
    Denon AVR-X4200w; Sony UBP-x700; Definitive Technology Power Monitor 900 mains, CLR-3000 center, StudioMonitor 350 surrounds, ProMonitor 800 atmos x4; Sub - Monoprice Monolith 15in THX Ultra

Bedroom 2.1
    Cambridge Azur 551r; Polk RT25i; ACI Titan Subwoofer
  • tophatjohnny
    tophatjohnny Posts: 4,162
    edited February 2018
    rooftop59 wrote: »
    Since acquiring a Bryston BDP-1 from a extremely generous karma (@BlueFox), I signed up so I could stream Tidal including MQA to the bryston. I now use it to stream to both rooms, and i really like it.

3 favorite things:
    1. seemlessly blends your own files (of which I have over 5000) and your Tidal favorites.
    2. the radio function - when a cd is done, it immediately starts playing songs from your library (owned and streamed) that is similar. On the weekends I will often start off with one album in the morning and then just have the radio going for hours while doing chores around the house. Great for reminding me of things I have forgotten about...
    3. streams MQA. Does it make a difference? In that way its kinda like decent cables for me. Rather have it than not...

As for a lifetime membership, not technology is going to last your lifetime. But it might last several years. So If you save money over paying for say, 3 years of g. membership, I might do it, if it takes more than that I would be hesitant...

Not sure what MQA is but sounds like you dig it? That's great. I just spoke with a guy in opperations that blew me away as far as what this does and saud that thsy have a new stand alone server breaking out now that will put it all into a nother dimension, so getting pretty excited about that. The stand alone will be available in 2 versions and when we talked about the size of my library he recommended the higher priced unit and it isn't cheap! What is anymore but 2500 bucks?? Ouch and probably the one I'll get before too long. Still reserching and taking my time.

What plan are you on? yearly is 119 and lifetime is 5 bones??
    "if it's not fun, it's not worth it & remember folks, "It's All About The Music"!!
  • DollarDave
    DollarDave Posts: 2,575
    This would be great, except my network players(Marantz) don't support Roon. Roon does not work with any UPnP/DLNA players (renderers). Great concept though.
  • SCompRacer
    SCompRacer Posts: 8,350
    edited February 2018
    I just loaded Roon Server onto my Signature Sonore Server with Vortexbox 2.4 (64 bit Linux). The server has an Intel 2.7GHZ I5 processor, 8GB RAM, so I am above minimum requirements.

I use a couple year old 15" laptop for control. I upgraded the server when I purchased it with an 80GB SSD card for the op system. (Roon recommends an SSD boot drive). I used Putty to do the Linux commands on the server instead of connecting monitor/keyboard. Love it, I'm gonna committ.
    Salk SoundScape 8's * Audio Research Reference 3 * Bottlehead Eros Phono * Park's Audio Budgie SUT * Krell KSA-250 * Harmonic Technology Pro 9+ * Signature Series Sonore Music Server w/Deux PS * Roon * Gustard R26 DAC / Singxer SU-6 DDC * Heavy Plinth Lenco L75 Idler Drive * AA MG-1 Linear Air Bearing Arm * AT33PTG/II & Denon 103R * Richard Gray 600S * NHT B-12d subs * GIK Acoustic Treatments * Sennheiser HD650 *
  • Mikey081057
    Mikey081057 Posts: 7,127
    I am new to Roon about 1+ months and agree with DSkip it is the nicest interface out there that I have seen.

It is very intelligent and can find all of your compatible devices to stream to.

I have had some buggy things happen with it like all apps but it is definitely the best of the bunch.

I also like Roon radio feature and the additional info it gives you about the stream...

Very easy to setup and use.

My New Year's resolution is 3840 × 2160

Family Room| Marantz AV7704| Usher Dancer Mini - 2 DMD Mains |Usher Dancer Mini-x DMD's Surrounds | Usher BE-616 DMD Center | SVS Ultra Rear Surrounds | Parasound Halo A21 | Parsound Halo A52+ | MIT Shotgun S3's | Dual SVS SB 4000 Ultras | Oppo UDP 203 | Directv Genie HD DVR | Samsung 75" Q8 QLED | PSAudio Stellar GCD | Mytek Brooklyn DAC+ | Lumin U1 Mini | HP Elite Slice PC | ROON'd for life |

ManCave: HT:Polk LSiM 706VR3 LSiM 703's LSiM 702's|| Marantz AV7002 AV PrePro Sunfire TGA-7401| Sony PS4 Pro| Sony PS4 Pro|SVS PB13 Ultra| Oppo UDP 203 | Music Hall MMF 5.3se TT w/ Soundsmith Carmen | Samsung 55" SUHD TV | Sony PS4

Patio | Polk Atrium 8's | Yamaha R-N303BL |

Office BlueSound Node| KEF LS50 | Peactree Nova 125SE |

Bedroom | Focal 905's | Chromecast Audio |

Garage | Polk Monitor 5B's

Closet Yamaha M80 | 2 Polk MP3K subs| Yaqin MC100B with Shuguang Treasures KT 88's & CV181Z's | Tesla E83CC's | Marantz 2252B | Marantz 2385 |Polk SDA SRS 2.3 | LSiM 705's |
  • rooftop59
    rooftop59 Posts: 7,952
    edited February 2018
    rooftop59 wrote: »

3 favorite things:

As for a lifetime membership, not technology is going to last your lifetime. But it might last several years. So If you save money over paying for say, 3 years of g. membership, I might do it, if it takes more than that I would be hesitant...

Not sure what MQA is but sounds like you dig it? That's great. I just spoke with a guy in opperations that blew me away as far as what this does and saud that thsy have a new stand alone server breaking out now that will put it all into a nother dimension, so getting pretty excited about that. The stand alone will be available in 2 versions and when we talked about the size of my library he recommended the higher priced unit and it isn't cheap! What is anymore but 2500 bucks?? Ouch and probably the one I'll get before too long. Still reserching and taking my time.

What plan are you on? yearly is 119 and lifetime is 5 bones??

MQA is master quality audio. Supposedly, you have the Hi-Rez versions of quite a number of albums, from the Rolling Stones to Chris Stapleton. However, its Highly debated whether there is really any sonic benefit, but since for me it is just part of the overall package, I am not too concerned how big the real audio difference is...

I am not going to buy a lifetime subscription, because for me the main benefit is integrating my personal library with my tidal library. I really think there is a good chance that streaming is going to get significantly more expensive in the new future, and if that is the case i may have to reconsider my use of roon as much as I like it, since something like jriver would probably also work fine and be significantly cheaper...
    Living Room 2.2: Usher BE-718 "tiny dancers"; Dual DIY Dayton audio RSS210HF-4 Subs with Dayton SPA-250 amps; Arcam SA30; Musical Fidelity A308; Sony UBP-x1000es; Squeezebox Touch with Bolder Power Supply
    Game Room 5.1.4:
    Denon AVR-X4200w; Sony UBP-x700; Definitive Technology Power Monitor 900 mains, CLR-3000 center, StudioMonitor 350 surrounds, ProMonitor 800 atmos x4; Sub - Monoprice Monolith 15in THX Ultra

Bedroom 2.1
    Cambridge Azur 551r; Polk RT25i; ACI Titan Subwoofer
  • DSkip wrote: »
    I'm a roon dealer and can say I love the interface. It's a lot of dough but it is the best out there.

If you decide to go let me know.

Good to know I have you to get hooked up with. Sent you a PM.
  • schwarcw
    schwarcw Posts: 7,328
    I bought a one year subscription more than a year ago as I wanted some experience using it. I LOVE it! I bought the lifetime subscription about a month or so ago.

Damn Skip, I didn't know that yo were a Roon dealer! I could have purchased it from you!
    Carl

• Ok, I did give it a try on a free trial and it's not for me. It could be if I had gear that was more compatibles (Roon Ready) but I don't , or if I tended to listen to my music on my laptop, which I don't do. I'm sure someone will come out with something like this and even better in time. In the meantime, lucky to have what I do have and to those that are able to get use out of the Roon route, Tophats off to ya! Ya never know unless ya try...am I right?? Thanks to those that took the time to chime in and if anyone else is thinking about it, I'd say give it a whirl. Don't cost a dime to try.
  • schwarcw
    schwarcw Posts: 7,328
    Tophat, you can buy the SonicOrbiter ($299) which is much cheaper than the MicroRendu ($699)from Sonore. Their products are excellent for streaming from a computer to your system. Their devices are Roon Ready. Check out the Computer Audiophile forum, Sonore has a product forum where you can learn a lot. Also, Roon has a Forum.
    Carl

• schwarcw wrote: »
    Tophat, you can buy the SonicOrbiter ($299) which is much cheaper than the MicroRendu ($699)from Sonore. Their products are excellent for streaming from a computer to your system. Their devices are Roon Ready. Check out the Computer Audiophile forum, Sonore has a product forum where you can learn a lot. Also, Roon has a Forum.

Appreciate the idea. I just liked a few of the features of Roon, but up until I saw that application, playing my files the way I do works great and I don't need my laptop to do it, nor do I want to run my systems from my laptop. The Roon server that comes in 2 flavors woud be the route I would go but even there, they are way over priced at this poinr and really not user friendly to the novis like myself, so sitting tight with what works for me at this time. I'm sure I will change it someday, but for now I'm thankful for what I do have and just enjoying that.
  • gce
    gce Posts: 2,158
    DSkip wrote: »
    My one 'complaint' about Roon is that it forces you to use an iPad in landscape mode. This isn't really an issue except I have a stand for the iPad and wanted to use it to show what was playing... but the stand forces the iPad to be set in portrait view so it was a wasted effort.

It also forced it on my Samsung S3 but my stand works in landscape mode. :p
    Anaheim Hills CA,
    HT 5.1: Anthem MRX 720 / BDP-Denon DBT1713UD / Polkaudio LSiM703 / W4S mAmp's / Polkaudio LSiM706c / Polkaudio LSiM702F/X's / SVS PC12-NSD / Panasonic TC P55VT30

2 Channel: Rogue RP-5 / WireWorld Electra power cord / Marantz TT-15S1/ Ortofon - Quintet Black MC / Marantz NA8005 DAC / W4S mAmp's / Synology DS 216+ll-4TB / Polkaudio LSiM703
  • Mikey081057
    Mikey081057 Posts: 7,127
    Today I connected my PC running ROON to the Mytek Brooklyn DAC+ via the USB audio interface.

ROON has a lot of setup options and I left most of the defaults except for fixed volume control.

With that said has anyone found a "guide to" computer to DAC settings and explanations that is a good reference to take me from startup to advanced concepts.

In this config it can play virtually any format available as well.

I guess I no longer need the BlueSound Node 2 in this rig and I can repurp to somewhere else.

This rig's chain is as follows:

HP Slice PC with Mytek USB audio driver to

Mytek Brooklyn DAC+ to

Parasound P5 via Balanced Inputs to

Parasound A21 to

Usher Dancer Mini-X DMD's

&

SVS SB2000

Sounds SHAAAWEEET
    My New Year's resolution is 3840 × 2160

Family Room| Marantz AV7704| Usher Dancer Mini - 2 DMD Mains |Usher Dancer Mini-x DMD's Surrounds | Usher BE-616 DMD Center | SVS Ultra Rear Surrounds | Parasound Halo A21 | Parsound Halo A52+ | MIT Shotgun S3's | Dual SVS SB 4000 Ultras | Oppo UDP 203 | Directv Genie HD DVR | Samsung 75" Q8 QLED | PSAudio Stellar GCD | Mytek Brooklyn DAC+ | Lumin U1 Mini | HP Elite Slice PC | ROON'd for life |

ManCave: HT:Polk LSiM 706VR3 LSiM 703's LSiM 702's|| Marantz AV7002 AV PrePro Sunfire TGA-7401| Sony PS4 Pro| Sony PS4 Pro|SVS PB13 Ultra| Oppo UDP 203 | Music Hall MMF 5.3se TT w/ Soundsmith Carmen | Samsung 55" SUHD TV | Sony PS4

Patio | Polk Atrium 8's | Yamaha R-N303BL |

Office BlueSound Node| KEF LS50 | Peactree Nova 125SE |

Bedroom | Focal 905's | Chromecast Audio |

Garage | Polk Monitor 5B's

Closet Yamaha M80 | 2 Polk MP3K subs| Yaqin MC100B with Shuguang Treasures KT 88's & CV181Z's | Tesla E83CC's | Marantz 2252B | Marantz 2385 |Polk SDA SRS 2.3 | LSiM 705's |