Will this amp work for my LSi's?

I found this amp on eBay, it is a adcom GFA-5300, will it work to power these speakers?
https://www.ebay.com/itm/ADCOM-GFA-5300-Power-Amp-80-W-8-Near-Mint/253342956915?epid=66783596&hash=item3afc6abd73:g:v9QAAOSwBRFaTDqm

Thanks for any help, micah

Comments

• Upstatemax
    Upstatemax Posts: 2,623
    What LSi's do you have?
  • mlistens03
    mlistens03 Posts: 2,767
    LSi25s, sorry I should have specified that. This amp is the one suggested by tonyb:
    http://www.usaudiomart.com/details/649391951-parasound-hca1200-power-amp-205wpc/
    THis one is more powerful, but it is like s $300, and I would have to save for a long time, so if I can get this one for way cheaper and have it work I would like to.

Micah
  • cfrizz
    cfrizz Posts: 13,415
    Will the Adcom work...of course it would. Will it power your LSI's to their full potential...not even close!
    Marantz AV-7705 PrePro, Classé 5 channel 200wpc Amp, Oppo 103 BluRay, Rotel RCD-1072 CDP, Sony XBR-49X800E TV, Polk S60 Main Speakers, Polk ES30 Center Channel, Polk S15 Surround Speakers SVS SB12-NSD x2
  • Airplay355
    Airplay355 Posts: 4,298
    Looks like the auction ends in 4 min so you'll probably not get to read this in time but I'd just wait for something nicer and more powerful. I suspect you'd like the Parasound WAY more than the Adcom.

However, it also depends on your listening habits. If you like normal listening levels (like you could still talk with music on in the room) the Adcom or similar might be just fine. It won't be the best but shouldn't be something you immediately regret. If you like turning it up to 11 then avoid the Adcom and similarly powered amps. You're going to really have to push it to get what you want.

If you've already bought it though, then congrats and don't worry about it! If its just what you needed then great and if you don't like it then it's all part of the audio journey, someone else will buy it no problem.
  • mlistens03
    Ok. I didn’t buy it, I didn’t realize it ended. Also, a pair of infinity speakers I’m going to sell turns out to be worth a lot more money than I thought, so I can get an amp for up to (estimating here) $500, any suggestions?
  • tonyb
    tonyb Posts: 32,902
    Yeah, the one you posted, the Parasound. You won't find a better amp for that price. Take the extra coin and buy decent speaker cables if you don't have any yet.
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Acoustic zen Satori speaker cables
    Acoustic zen Matrix 2 IC's
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's
    Audio metallurgy ga-o digital cable

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • mlistens03
    I’ve got 16 gauge monster cable my dad gave me and some monoprice 12 gauge pure copper cables, and I’ve got a fifty foot hdmi cable (the definition of overkill) and I have a 16 foot rca cable that is for car audio already. I’m going to see about buying that amp in the future, and if there are any cables you guys think I need, or anything that will not be good enough, then let me know. I’m going for sound quality, not just super loud music, so I want the best. Also, I have a kicker 12” that I found at the flea market for $20 that I am running on that amplifier that went bad since the left channel still works, but will this hurt the quality in any way?
    Thanks so much for all your help guys.
    Micah
  • Airplay355
    Airplay355 Posts: 4,298
    I don't understand your subwoofer question very well. Sounds like it's kind of hacked together anyway so don't worry about quality.
  • FestYboy
    FestYboy Posts: 3,861
    Toss the 16agw, and the HDMI cable, both are useless in this situation. The Kicker sub should stay where it was intended to be: in the car. Flip it for more $. Buy a HT powered unit (assuming this is for a HT build). If it's not, then don't bother with the sub and use the powered, integrated subs in the LSi25s.
  • mlistens03
    I’m using the hdmi cable with an adapter from my iPad and then into my receiver as my reciever has a better dac than the cheap one in my iPad, but if there is something with this that will hurt quality, then let me know.

ok, so I’ll drop the kicker.

This is mostly just for stereo however if I find a good pair of surrounds I might hook 'em up. Generally I use my mains (not the polks since I don’t have an amp yet), my center, and one of the Polk subs. I would use both subs, but the right one doesn’t work and I gotta get it fixed, but the power amplifier comes first so that I can actually use my speakers.

I also have a Velodyne ten inch powered subwoofer, should I hook this up as well because I have it? Or is it not going to help a lot?

And one more question (sorry, this is a long post) what is wrong with the 16agw cable? It is pure copper, and I’ve used it for a while now, and I haven’t noticed any difference in sound when I started using the monoprice cable. I’m not saying your wrong for saying why I should get rid of it, I’m just wondering, what is wrong with it?

Thanks again for all your help.
    Micah