new electrical panel / new circuit for stereo - advice?

I have an old house, and we are in the process of putting in a new electrical panel.

When we are doing the panel, I am running 2 new circuits for my stereo. My understanding, from what I have read, is to run a circuit for the amplifier, and one for all the other components, which run through a power conditioner.

I am planning on running 10/2 wire, one run for the amp, one for the components. I have read a few articles.....

but any other advice people can give? I am doing the wiring myself, so the cost is just the parts / components.

Comments

• gmcman
    gmcman Posts: 1,739
    I would recommend using a generator ready panel if you are going through all that labor. I did, and the peace of mind is beyond worth it. Also makes it easy if the wife needs to get everything going.

Best part is you can power any circuit in the panel instead of a select few...if the genny is capable naturally.
  • rpf65
    rpf65 Posts: 2,127
    Don't go cheap on the plugs.
  • gmcman: we have a woodstove, so i'm not worried about a generator backup. worst case scenario: we heat the house with wood for a few days. thanks, however.

rpf65: meaning the wall outlet plugs, correct?
  • kharp1
    kharp1 Posts: 3,453
    jolson72 wrote: »
    gmcman: we have a woodstove, so i'm not worried about a generator backup. worst case scenario: we heat the house with wood for a few days. thanks, however.

rpf65: meaning the wall outlet plugs, correct?

That's all good until you're without power for a week, like we were her in Louisville a few years ago, and you have no hot water, or refrigerator/freezer. Also happened in late August/September with a wind storm. Or, in the case of Houston, or, other natural disaster where you're without electricity for longer than a week. It can happen.
  • txcoastal1
    txcoastal1 Posts: 13,124
    You take whorebaths
    2-channel: Modwright KWI-200 Integrated, Dynaudio C1-II Signatures
    Desktop rig: LSi7, Polk 110sub, Dayens Ampino amp, W4S DAC/pre, Sonos, JRiver
    Gear on standby: Melody 101 tube pre, Unison Research Simply Italy Integrated
    Gone to new homes: (Matt Polk's)Threshold Stasis SA12e monoblocks, Pass XA30.5 amp, Usher MD2 speakers, Dynaudio C4 platinum speakers, Modwright LS100 (voltz), Simaudio 780D DAC

erat interfectorem cesar et **** dictatorem dicere a
  • kharp1
    kharp1 Posts: 3,453
    I take "crack whorebaths"!
  • thanks for the tips on generators. i don't know if that was the focus of my post, but i appreciate the deviation. any more tips on the actual post topic?
  • gmcman
    gmcman Posts: 1,739
    The only reason I suggested a gen ready panel, is that you save a HUGE amount of labor from the gate. You will basically be installing the same item with the addition of a mechanical interlock on the first two circuits...you can add everything else later...inlet box, generator, etc.

Replacing a 200A main panel is a very laborious task you only want to do once, including permits and all associated coordination with the poco.

However if that's not you're interest then no worries....figure I would throw that out before you start.
  • gmcman, i do appreciate it. not something i have thought of, but again, thanks!
  • MrBuhl
    MrBuhl Posts: 2,419
    edited January 2018
    Not skimping on plugs is an excellent suggestion - even if you just get hospital grade good gripping plugs you will be happier for the few extra dollars. I ended using MIT Z Duplex outlets in mine and I'm happy with them.
    VA HT HK AVR20II, Sony S9000ES CD/DVD/SACD, Polk Audio RC80i / Polk Audio CSi3, 60" Panasonic Plasma, Nordost / Signal Cable A2 / Wireworld / Pangea / Magic Power
    VA 2 Channel Focal Electra 926 speakers, Pass Labs X150.5 Amp, Eastern Electric MiniMax Preamp (Tutay mods), Eastern Electric Minimax CDP (Scott Nixon mods), Music Hall mmf 5.1 Turntable, Parks Audio Budgie Phono Pre , Audioengine B1 streamer, MIT S3 IC's / MIT Shotgun S3 Speaker Cables / PS Audio power cables
    Noggin Schiit Valhalla, Pangea, Phillips Fidelio X1, Polk UF8000

Polk SDA1c modded
    Polk CRS+ 4.1TL modded (need veneer)
    Polk SDA2BTL (fully modded)
    A/L 1000VA Dreadnought Canare 4s11 SDA cable
    SACD Marantz DV8300
    Sony S9000ES CD/DVD/SACD
    Yamaha YP-D6
    Soundcraftsmen PCR800
    Audible Illusions L1 Preamp
    Vincent MFA based Cocci Tube Preamp
    Pho-700 Phono Pre
    Signal Cable Silver Resolution IC's

• mhardy6647
    mhardy6647 Posts: 32,926
    gmcman wrote: »
    The only reason I suggested a gen ready panel, is that you save a HUGE amount of labor from the gate. You will basically be installing the same item with the addition of a mechanical interlock on the first two circuits...you can add everything else later...inlet box, generator, etc.

Replacing a 200A main panel is a very laborious task you only want to do once, including permits and all associated coordination with the poco.

However if that's not you're interest then no worries....figure I would throw that out before you start.

Yup - the big handle :)

zj0l8hm4agfx.png