edited April 2004
    anyone got any replies for this topic?
    Testing
    Testing
    Testing
  • MacLeod
    MacLeod Posts: 14,358
    edited April 2004
    Well, theyre both pretty sweet. Infinity makes better subs than they do speakers and their Perfect series are pretty bad ****.

However, Polk/Momo is no slouch either. Id say its really a toss up but I would go with Polk. They have a tad better sound quality to me, and they have the best customer service in the industry.
    polkaudio sound quality competitor since 2005
    MECA SQ Rookie of the Year 06 ~ MECA State Champ 06,07,08,11 ~ MECA World Finals 2nd place 06,07,08,09
    08 Car Audio Nationals 1st ~ 07 N Georgia Nationals 1st ~ 06 Carl Casper Nationals 1st ~ USACi 05 Southeast AutumnFest 1st

polkaudio SR6500 --- polkaudio MM1040 x2 -- Pioneer P99 -- Rockford Fosgate P1000X5D
  • Systems
    Systems Posts: 14,873
    edited April 2004
    Well i think all go with 2 mm124's since they are like way cheaper. I was thinken i would go for two c500x1 amps, think that will be good for the mm124's. any recomendations?
    Testing
    Testing
    Testing
  • neomagus00
    neomagus00 Posts: 3,899
    edited April 2004
    how bout 2 300.2 amps?
    It's not good, very fundamentally simply not good. - geolemon

"Its not good enough until we have real-time fearmongering. I want my fear mongered as it happens." - Shizelbs
  • exalted512
    exalted512 Posts: 10,735
    edited April 2004
    two 300.2s would be cheaper, sound better, and put more power to those subs than the 500
    ive never been a fan of infiniti, but they seem to have grown A LOT in popularity in the last year
    i havent heard any of their new stuff, i need to go check em out though
    -Cody
    Music is like candy, you have to get rid of the rappers to enjoy it
  • Systems
    edited April 2004
    you know of any good 300x2 amps i can look at?
    Testing
    Testing
    Testing
  • Systems
    edited April 2004
    why would that be better?
    Testing
    Testing
    Testing
  • exalted512
    edited April 2004
    better than the 500.1?
    1. puts out more power
    2. its cheaper
    3. its a class AB so itll be cleaner
    -Cody
  • Systems
    edited April 2004
    when it says "14.4 Volts RMS Bridged" what does that mean?
    Testing
    Testing
    Testing
  • mbdyer12
    mbdyer12 Posts: 220
    edited April 2004
    14.4volts is the "max" that your alternator can supply to an amp. That would be the max RMS power the amp would supply if the alternator was putting out 14.4volts. Although, you'll only ever get 13.8volts out of your car's electrical system more than likely. Bridged = positive terminal of one channel connected to the negative of the other to provide a boost in max power (200x2 would be close to 400x1 bridged).

So yeah, putting it all together: RMS power if the amp is bridged when the amp is taking in 14.4 volts (the max your electrical system could put out). ...Like I always say though: I could be wrong. Haha. :confused:
    2005 Subaru Impreza WRX
  • neomagus00
    edited April 2004
    that may have been confusing with your use of the word 'max', so i'll simply rewrite to avoid possible confusion.

most electrical systems (alternators) in cars put out 12-14.4 volts. mbdyer is right, normal is somewhere in the middle-upper end of that. as an amp recieves more voltage, it puts out more watts; an amp that puts out 140 WRMS at 12 volts can put out 200 WRMS at 14.4.

yeah - bridged is connecting the two channels of the amp into one, quadrupling the 4-ohm power of the amplifier; i.e. if it puts out 200 watts to 2 channels at 4 ohms each, it'll put out 800 into a bridged connection at 4 ohms. generally, bridged amps can handle, at the lowest, 4 ohms, or twice that which a single channel can handle (normally 2 ohms). a manufacturer will normally tout the ability to do otherwise.

something interesting - i recently had my alternator(sp?) tested and it puts out 198 amperes at 2000 rpms. could that be right? - it seems like an awful lot.

"Its not good enough until we have real-time fearmongering. I want my fear mongered as it happens." - Shizelbs
  • MacLeod
    MacLeod Posts: 14,358
    edited April 2004
    Not trying to nitpick ya Neo but the bridged output depends on the amps rated power.

For instance my little Alpine 2 channel is rated at 50x2 at 4 ohms and 70x2 at 2. Bridging this little fella will yield you 140 rms. On the other hand the Xtant 2.2 is also 50x2 but 100x2 at 2 ohms and will spit out 200 rms bridged.

Not all amps have a lot of headroom and so their power ratings dont always double as you go down in impedance. Like JL's Slash series, they are fully regulated and their 2 channel is 150 rms at 2 or 4 ohms.
    polkaudio sound quality competitor since 2005
    MECA SQ Rookie of the Year 06 ~ MECA State Champ 06,07,08,11 ~ MECA World Finals 2nd place 06,07,08,09
    08 Car Audio Nationals 1st ~ 07 N Georgia Nationals 1st ~ 06 Carl Casper Nationals 1st ~ USACi 05 Southeast AutumnFest 1st

polkaudio SR6500 --- polkaudio MM1040 x2 -- Pioneer P99 -- Rockford Fosgate P1000X5D
  • neomagus00
    edited April 2004
    hmm... i think i accidentally described the 'ideal' versus the 'real'. then again, as you mentioned with zapco, amps like that are pretty damn close to ideal. in which case we're both right :D (see, i know how to share :p)

• exalted512
    edited April 2004
    ok, to further clarify things:
    like they said, your vehicle usually runs on about 13.8 volts
    14.4 is the max, and companies will rate their amps at 14.4 to get the biggest possible rating out of their amps
    even though its FALSE
    all amps SHOULD be rated from 12-13.8
    bridging a 2 channel amp:
    2 channel amp, you obviously have 2 channels, each channel with a negative and positive
    so what do you do?
    hook the positive up on one channel, the negative to the other channel and connect that to your speakers
    i have never seen a 2 channel amp that is capable of being bridged at 2 ohms, not to say they dont exist, but if they do, its very rare
    -Cody
  • Systems
    edited April 2004
    so if i go to circuit city and have guys install my parts, think they will bridge my amps?
    Testing
    Testing
    Testing
  • exalted512
    edited April 2004
    if you get 2 c300.2s and 2 mm124s and have one amp per sub, then yes, they SHOULD bridge them...but i dunno about some of these circuit city guys...
    -Cody
  • Systems
    edited April 2004
    i dont know where ill go but since circuit city can i guesss any place i go to will be able to. theres a place around here called
    g-sound, my friends got hook ups so i might get a good deal.

My set-up is most likely gonna be this-
    Subs- Two MM124's
    Amps- Two C300x2
    Box- sealed
    Head Unit- Any Poineer or Alpine i can afford since im broke cuz im spending my money on subs and amps.

If this sounds good give me a thumbs up, if not holla back at me. I should be purchasing in the near future.
    Testing
    Testing
    Testing
  • mbdyer12
    mbdyer12 Posts: 220
    edited April 2004
    I'd say thumbs up to that.

As far as head units... I have a Pioneer head unit and I think it sounds great. Its more asthetically pleasing too, especially with the background animations although the cheaper ones dont have that feature. I havn't actually owned an Alpine head unit so I wouldn't be able to really comment on how they sound.
    2005 Subaru Impreza WRX
  • neomagus00
    edited April 2004
    doesn't usamps make a 2 channel bridgeable to 2 ohms? its either their x-series or the standard USA series; pretty cool tho.

• MTXMAN
    MTXMAN Posts: 682
    edited April 2004
    it's the usa series that runs bridged at 2 ohms, the x series runs at 4 ohms

also the tu-600 (my new baby) is capable of running 150x2 @4ohms or 300X2 @2ohms... could run a nice set of 10's offa that
    Hemi: (HEM -e) adj. Mopar in type, V8, hot tempered, native to the United States, carnivorous, eats primarily Mustangs, Camaros, and Corvettes. Also enjoys smoking a good import now and then to relax.
  • neomagus00
    edited April 2004
    you'd use a tube amp on subs?

• MTXMAN
    MTXMAN Posts: 682
    edited April 2004
    i'm a big fan of warm rich deep bass, songs with drawn out bass notes vs rap beats ( i listen to rap though too) and tube amps are known for their warmth and depth so yeah, why not?
    Hemi: (HEM -e) adj. Mopar in type, V8, hot tempered, native to the United States, carnivorous, eats primarily Mustangs, Camaros, and Corvettes. Also enjoys smoking a good import now and then to relax.
  • neomagus00
    edited April 2004
    hmm... i've never personally heard a tube amp hooked to a sub, but while i agree with you on the musical bass bit, would you be able to tell on notes that low? ie would the warmth come through the subs?

• exalted512
    edited April 2004
    im sure there would be a difference, not night and day, but there would be a difference
    popnfresh,
    sounds good to me
    im fond to pioneer, dont really like alpine...but many ppl run them without problems, so i dont know
    just dont get sony and youll be doing good
    -Cody