6sn7 single/individual tubes

Options
124»

Comments

• invalid
    invalid Posts: 1,279
    Options
    The problem with nos tubes is they could actually have more time on them than you think even though they might measure nos. They really knew how to make a long lasting tube back then.
  • treitz3
    treitz3 Posts: 18,342
    Options
    Absolutely.

Tom
    ~ In search of accurate reproduction of music. Real sound is my reference and while perfection may not be attainable? If I chase it, I might just catch excellence. ~
  • bcwsrt
    bcwsrt Posts: 1,602
    Options
    I'd agree with you, but these are in the mint original boxes and the screen printing is 100%.

So, assuming what I stated is true about being low/no hours is there a burn-in period for new tubes?

Brian

One-owner Polk Audio RTA 15TL speakers refreshed w/ Sonicap, Vishay/Mills and Cardas components by "pitdogg2," "xschop" billet tweeter plates and BH5 | Stereo REL Acoustics T/5x subwoofers w/ Bassline Blue cables | Rogue Audio Cronus Magnum III integrated tube amp | Technics SL-1210G turntable w/ Ortofon 2M Black LVB 250 MM cart | Sony CDP-508ESD CD player (as a transport) | LampizatOr Baltic 4 tube DAC | Nordost & DH Labs cables/interconnects | APC H15 Power Conditioner | GIK Acoustics room treatments | Degritter RCM
  • treitz3
    treitz3 Posts: 18,342
    Options
    Absolutely.

Tom

~ In search of accurate reproduction of music. Real sound is my reference and while perfection may not be attainable? If I chase it, I might just catch excellence. ~
  • pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,585
    edited March 15
    Options
    Short answer is yes. Most tube manufacturers back in the day did do a burn in so to speak so not to sell you a bad tube. I've read articles where some had 50 to 100 hour burn then testing to check the tube values to ascertain whether or not the tube was made correctly. RCA, from my reading old articles was very diligent to make sure that every tube went through multiple testing and one old article had a picture of a huge pile of tubes that didn't make the cut. Now 75yrs later it's hard to tell if it was viable truth or not.

My experience is that tubes need some time to settle in, even if you've used the tube for many hours previously and removed it to try another for a few weeks or months.
    I give them a good week or two before I make big decisions on them.
    I also let them heat up a good long time before listening to tunes. I've been known to turn my preamp on on friday and not turn it off until Monday morning leaving for work. I swear after 24 hrs it's better than the first two hours after turn on.
    Post edited by pitdogg2 on
  • invalid
    invalid Posts: 1,279
    Options
    Try it and see what happens.
  • Clipdat
    Clipdat Posts: 12,608
    Options
    Woot, got some 6sn7 on the way! Thank you kindly @WagnerRC, really appreciate it.
  • VR3
    VR3 Posts: 28,052
    Options
    We need a in depth pre arrival review with pictures.

It's a thing
    - Not Tom ::::::: Any system can play Diana Krall. Only the best can play Limp Bizkit.
  • mhardy6647
    mhardy6647 Posts: 33,049
    Options
    @WagnerRC is a class act in every respect.