placement in my new acura rsx

Systems
Systems Posts: 14,873
edited April 2004 in Car Audio & Electronics
Not sure but will the polk mm6's sound good in the factory locations of the rsx, the factory tweets are mounted in the dash facing the windshield... how will my imaging be???

i am also mabye considering placing my mid range here

http://www.mtxaudio.com/caraudio/images/showRSXSourceFront.jpg

will that even be worse

i just want to be able to see the speakers...my god there pretty

any ideas on a sub encloser in trunk give'em up

i have 2 10 momo's
ans 2 alpine 2channels and one mdr500 mono amp
Testing
Testing
Testing
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Systems
    edited April 2004
    sorry i ment to make it easier

showRSXSourceFront.jpg
    Testing
    Testing
    Testing
  • neomagus00
    neomagus00 Posts: 3,899
    edited April 2004
    tweets - i have mine in the dash facing the windshield and imaging is pretty good. it would be better to have them down next to the mids. where you want to put those should be kool too; just make sure to put the grille on (wouldn't want to accidentally hit the things and waste a buttload of cash fixing them).
    It's not good, very fundamentally simply not good. - geolemon

"Its not good enough until we have real-time fearmongering. I want my fear mongered as it happens." - Shizelbs
  • exalted512
    exalted512 Posts: 10,735
    edited April 2004
    i would never point my tweets at glass
    -Cody
    Music is like candy, you have to get rid of the rappers to enjoy it
  • neomagus00
    neomagus00 Posts: 3,899
    edited April 2004
    without making my own pods, it was the only option i had; teg1gsr seems like s/he wants to do a little more modding, so...; but yeah, i have the tweets turned all the way down on the xovers and a little more on the hu. they work really really well.
    It's not good, very fundamentally simply not good. - geolemon

"Its not good enough until we have real-time fearmongering. I want my fear mongered as it happens." - Shizelbs
  • Thom
    Thom Posts: 723
    edited April 2004
    Tweeters in the glass can work depending on what you're looking for. Lots of guys do it and are quite happy with them up there. The tweeters from the MM6 set work OK firing in the windshield, depending on the angle. We've done it in cars in the past and I've liked some of them but in my Civic I'm not happy. The good thing is that you can easily try it without permanently mounting them. Double stick or velcro them up there and if you don't like it try them elsewhere.

I don't think the mids will work well in a spot like the MTX car. My guess is that they put them there because a) it was easy and quick b) it works well for open door demos at shows. I think that listening to that car with the doors closed you're going to hear the near speaker only. I prefer kick panel- mounted mids when possible, but some cars are a huge pain in the ****, and they don't work well for cars that you don't let people sit in. All of our demo cars have door mounted speakers so that you can hear music when standing next to the car at a show. None of the cars have a strong center image when sitting in the seats (unless the center channel is on during movies). In a car that I drive in (my old Protege and Civic) I would much rather have speakers in the kicks.
  • MacLeod
    MacLeod Posts: 14,358
    edited April 2004
    I would just like to say that its cool as hell that the Polk installers answer questions on this forum. Its awful nice to get an expert opinion. Way cool of ya guys.

My '02 Ram has the door speakers in pretty much the same place as the MTX car and actually you hear the right side more. I guess because its firing right at your ear but my image is way off kilter to the right of center and it bugs the hell out of me!!

I am debating on using kicks though because I dont want to give up the legroom. I am a pretty hefty fella and like to stretch out and Im skeered kicks would intrude.

Also I figure that the image would be too low with kicks and I would have to invest in an extra pair of tweets to pull the image up to a respectable level.

I may just take the easy route and use the factory locations and mount the tweets in the mirror sails and see if that pulls the image back to the left more. If not then I guess I can look to kicks.
    polkaudio sound quality competitor since 2005
    MECA SQ Rookie of the Year 06 ~ MECA State Champ 06,07,08,11 ~ MECA World Finals 2nd place 06,07,08,09
    08 Car Audio Nationals 1st ~ 07 N Georgia Nationals 1st ~ 06 Carl Casper Nationals 1st ~ USACi 05 Southeast AutumnFest 1st

polkaudio SR6500 --- polkaudio MM1040 x2 -- Pioneer P99 -- Rockford Fosgate P1000X5D
  • exalted512
    edited April 2004
    the momos have decent off-axis response as i have mine in the sail panels as well
    my next truck im thinking about getting some custom kicks...
    but i dunno yet
    -Cody
  • Systems
    edited April 2004
    thanks guys....i'll keep everybody posted,
    Testing
    Testing
    Testing
  • Thom
    Thom Posts: 723
    edited April 2004
    I've never been a fan of kicks that stick way out and block leg room. In most cars if you work at it enough you can get a 5- 1/4" or 6- 1/2" to sit almost flush so you don't lose any floor. Some cars have a fuse block or something in one kick so it's quite a pain in the ****.

Big trucks are probably the worst vehicle for trying to get an accurate soundstage in. They're so wide and the driver is so far to one side that it's near impossible. Try turning one side out of phase, that might help. If one side doesn't work, try the other side instead. The biggest downside is that you may lose some mid- bass response (but you might not).
  • exalted512
    edited April 2004
    agreed, i wouldnt put kick panels in if they block leg room
    in my truck i know i can get custom kicks that will not take up any more leg room than they did before
    when i get a new truck, well have to see
    and yes, with big trucks like mine, its extremely hard to get the sound stage right
    but thats when the time delay on my pioneer premier HU comes in very handy
    -Cody
  • MacLeod
    MacLeod Posts: 14,358
    edited April 2004
    Yeah my imaging is very funky. Its shifted to the right but the left speaker is 3 times closer to me. The weird thing is that the stage height is almost perfect! Its right at the top of the dash but centered over the middle.

Thats why Im thinking if I got tweets mounted in the sail panels then this would pull the stage back to the left and at least keep the height if not add a little more.

I will probably go with my comps stuck in the doors and the tweet mounted in the sail and see how it goes. If the stage is set a little better Ill leave it, if not Ill look into kicks.

Q-Forms have the only pre-made models but they look like they protrude a little much and I can just see my old lady getting in with her disco heels she likes to wear and put one thru my mid!

I dont have $4,000,000 to pay for custom fiberglass ones so I may try what Scott Buwalda did and stick the mids in the factory kicks mounted flush and firing straight across the floorboard to the passenger door. He then mounted his tweet in the A pillar. You would think this would sound like poo-poo but Mobile Entertainment did a review of his system and said," ...the Altima had one of the best and most accurate soundstages Ive had the pleasure to hear recently." (ME Feb/Mar 04 issue) So it must work OK.
    polkaudio sound quality competitor since 2005
    MECA SQ Rookie of the Year 06 ~ MECA State Champ 06,07,08,11 ~ MECA World Finals 2nd place 06,07,08,09
    08 Car Audio Nationals 1st ~ 07 N Georgia Nationals 1st ~ 06 Carl Casper Nationals 1st ~ USACi 05 Southeast AutumnFest 1st

polkaudio SR6500 --- polkaudio MM1040 x2 -- Pioneer P99 -- Rockford Fosgate P1000X5D