MM6 help

jablonep
jablonep Posts: 18
edited April 2004 in Car Audio & Electronics
I have just made a purchase and am second guessing myself after reading some posts below.

Running off an Eclipse 8441 deck in a Yukon I already have amp running to a single 12" sub. I just purchased 2 sets(4spkrs) of MM6 components and a rockford fosgate 551x amp which is 75w x 4 at 4ohms. Not too late to return it but would be a pain.

Also, I was deciding between the MM6s and MB quarz PCE216s, did I make the right decision?

Thanks
Post edited by jablonep on

Comments

• neomagus00
    neomagus00 Posts: 3,899
    edited April 2004
    you'll hear a lot of rf-bashing, esp from cody, but they're okay. it should power your mm6's just fine (correct me if i'm wrong, but it's 150 W x 2 Ch. @ 4 Ohms, right?)

the choice b/w mb quart and polk is personal; they have different colors/flavors, it's all up to u. i love my mm6s, and others like their mbq's, too.
    It's not good, very fundamentally simply not good. - geolemon

"Its not good enough until we have real-time fearmongering. I want my fear mongered as it happens." - Shizelbs
  • jablonep
    edited April 2004
    Thanks for the advice. You're right but I am powering 4 speakers which would make it 4 x 75 at 4ohms. Still ok?
  • neomagus00
    neomagus00 Posts: 3,899
    edited April 2004
    oh, man, my stupid. yeah, 75 is okay. 150 is much better, but 75 is okay. just set the gains right so u dont try to get too much out of the mm6s.
    It's not good, very fundamentally simply not good. - geolemon

"Its not good enough until we have real-time fearmongering. I want my fear mongered as it happens." - Shizelbs
  • exalted512
    exalted512 Posts: 10,735
    edited April 2004
    yeah well if its too late its too late...
    youll be good as long as you dont try to push it hard and have extremely good ventilation, a small 12V fan would help out a lot
    and someday ill take my own advice and get a couple...
    -Cody
    Music is like candy, you have to get rid of the rappers to enjoy it
  • MacLeod
    MacLeod Posts: 14,358
    edited April 2004
    The Premium Quarts are in a whole other league then the Polks. The Premiums are $600 speakers whereas the MM6 run $300, its not really a fair comparison. However, the $300 MB Reference speaker is no better then the MM6. I feel the Reference is a tad more detailed but thats about it.

If you had $600 to blow on speakers you shouldve gone with the Quarts. However, for half the price you got one of the best speakers on the market. Trust me, youll be plenty happy with your Polks provided you give em enough juice. The 75 rms will be ok but you should look into moving into the 110+ range.
    polkaudio sound quality competitor since 2005
    MECA SQ Rookie of the Year 06 ~ MECA State Champ 06,07,08,11 ~ MECA World Finals 2nd place 06,07,08,09
    08 Car Audio Nationals 1st ~ 07 N Georgia Nationals 1st ~ 06 Carl Casper Nationals 1st ~ USACi 05 Southeast AutumnFest 1st

polkaudio SR6500 --- polkaudio MM1040 x2 -- Pioneer P99 -- Rockford Fosgate P1000X5D
  • jablonep
    edited April 2004
    Thanks, I could've bought a set of pce-216 for the same price as the MM6 but a little too late now. Still struggling with the amp situation, hate to underpower such nice speakers but I would have to return the amp. What amp under 500 would power all 4 speakers.
  • exalted512
    edited April 2004
    might be cheaper/easier to just get another 551X
    -Cody
  • jablonep
    edited April 2004
    Cody, wouldn't that be too much power. The 551s is listed as 275 x 2 bridged at 4 ohms.

Maybe a less powerful amp for the back set would be a good idea, with the 551 to the front set?

Finally, should I put the tweeter component in the door or up higher, I have a 2001 Yukon with plenty or room for both in the door but its kinda low, don't you think.

Thanks,
    Eric
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 0
    edited April 2004
    If you are looking at another amp, the PolkMomo 400.4 was designed to mate perfectly with an MM6 component set. It has a switch on it to set the crossover points to run all active. Hook the tweeters to the front channels, the mids to the back channels, turn the switch on, and you're done. It also eliminates the passive crossover so installation of the components is a little easier. Here is a link.
  • exalted512
    edited April 2004
    yeah, 275 is was overkill, my bad, i thought it was rated at like 200...
    the tweeter needs to be within 18" of the mid-woofer
    so within an 18" radius, youll be ok
    and if youre worried about it being low
    remember, most SQ systems have their components in the kick panels...
    -Cody
  • exalted512
    edited April 2004
    and sorry, but if the Polk amp was meant to be set up perfectly with the mm6 components, it would be rated at 125 watts
    not 75
    either way, polk makes great amps...or it seems to me from what ive heard
    but i dunno....the cost seems pretty steep to me...
    -Cody
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 0
    edited April 2004
    RMS rating of the MM6 is 150 watts per channel. If you put 75 watts to the tweeter and 75 watts to the mid, that is 150 watts per channel. How is that not a perfect match?
  • exalted512
    edited April 2004
    he has 2 sets though, thats why hes looking at a 4 channel
    -Cody
  • exalted512
    edited April 2004
    and besides, if he wanted to power one set of mm6s, he could save a hundred bucks and go with the 300.2
    -Cody
  • MacLeod
    edited April 2004
    Im a BIG fan of bi-amping. With the 400.4, he can fine tune the speakers way better than with a 2 channel. When you use a 2 channel you have no control on tweeter output whereas a 4 channel running bi-amped, you can adjust the tweet level to better match your system.

Remember that tweeters dont need near as much power as a mid to give off the same db, so you stick 75 to a mid and 75 to a tweet and the tweet is going to be louder and depending on your configuration may be too loud and can be very bright sounding and mess up your SQ. You can use the attenuator in the passive crossover but I believe you can get better SQ by biamping and adjusting the gain control to adjust your tweets.
    MECA SQ Rookie of the Year 06 ~ MECA State Champ 06,07,08,11 ~ MECA World Finals 2nd place 06,07,08,09
    08 Car Audio Nationals 1st ~ 07 N Georgia Nationals 1st ~ 06 Carl Casper Nationals 1st ~ USACi 05 Southeast AutumnFest 1st

polkaudio SR6500 --- polkaudio MM1040 x2 -- Pioneer P99 -- Rockford Fosgate P1000X5D
  • exalted512
    edited April 2004
    well if he has 2 sets of mm6s, that would means he needs two amps
    two amps=200 dollars more
    for 200 dollars you can buy a damn good EQ and be able to adjust all your speakers, including subs, better than you could on an amp
    -Cody
  • MacLeod
    edited April 2004
    I didnt say bi-amping is the best or only way to tune your system, just that it offers the ability to tune your tweeter output to a finer point than using one amp or a 2 channel.

Plus I wouldnt use rear speakers anyway and if I did it would be a midrange only. No need for highs in the back seat....unless you want some good mood music for when youre back there, shall we say, laying your groove down, on a hot date! :D

• exalted512
    edited April 2004
    i understand where youre coming from
    i just think theres better options out there for the money
    true, i wouldnt put a comp. system in the back
    i was thinking about it a few months ago, but nah
    the next truck will hae 4x6s in the back, but they wont be amped
    and im going to stick to my eXcelons for that too
    best damn 4x6 out there:D
    -Cody