Looking at Honda Generators, open to others . . .your recommendations?

I've never owned a PORTABLE gen, but I plugged into a neighbors twice in 20 yrs (cool dude, sad you moved away Leroy)
Power here is pretty stable, but ya never know, right??

My main concern is comfort/convenience (heat mostly, AC not so much) and perishables (I've got an energy efficient refrigerator) and perhaps a 1175W microwave and/or a small toaster oven

Of all the charts I've seen, none offer ratings on what the initial draw and steady state running spec is on a hot water heating system (only force air systems are posted)

I'll do the exact energy cals later. However, I'm thinking a small Honda EU3000is for now, just for the basics ... and later maybe Another Identical One (as the EU line allows 2 Identical output gens to be ganged in parallel for twice the output)
What's enticing about this is, that if my local dad looses power, I can power him up, too
These sucker are really light weight, compared to past gens

http://powerequipment.honda.com/generators/models/eu3000is

Thoughts?
TIA
AC Regenerator PS Audio PerfectWave Power Plant 10
Source Lumin U1 Mini into Lampi Baltic 4
Pre Cary SLP-05
Power Rogue M180 Dark monos
Mains Salk HT2-TL
Rythmik F12

Comments

• gudnoyez
    gudnoyez Posts: 8,056
    We got two EU 2000 powering the hunting cabin hooked up with a parallel cable more power then needed this year we used a single EB 3800 a little louder than the EU series all run all night swap them out from time time. I think it would be less money if you got a EB 5000 than two EU 3000's.
    Home Theater
    Parasound Halo A 31 OnkyoTX-NR838 Sony XBR55X850B 55" 4K RtiA9 Fronts CsiA6 Center RtiA3 Rears FxiA6 Side Surrounds Dual Psw 111's Oppo 105D Signal Ultra Speaker Cables & IC's Signal Magic Power Cable Technics SL Q300 Panamax MR4300 Audioquest Chocolate HDMI Cables Audioquest Forest USB Cable

2 Channel
    Adcom 555II Vincent SA-T1 Marantz SA 15S2 Denon DR-M11 Clearaudio Bluemotion SDA 2.3tl's (Z) edition MIT Terminator II Speaker Cables & IC's Adcom 545II Adcom Gtp-450 Marantz CD5004 Technics M245X SDA 2B's, SDA CRS+

Stuff for the Head
    JD LABS C5 Headphone Amplifier, Sennheiser HD 598, Polk Audio Buckle, Polk Audio Hinge, Velodyne vPulse, Bose IE2, Sennheiser CX 200 Street II, Sennheiser MX 365

Shower & Off the beaten path Rigs
    Polk Audio Boom Swimmer, Polk Audio Urchin B)
  • gmcman
    gmcman Posts: 1,739
    What you need to be concerned about is start up surge for motors. If you plan on running your A/C, and your refrigerator, you will need ample available amps for start up...microwaves actually require a decent amount also.

A generator is one of those things that is OK to pay alot for and have it sit all year and maybe use it once..because like you said....ya never know.

I had a 5KW continuous, 6.5KW surge generator and it would run my air handler to circulate fireplace heat, fridge, lights, but couldn't start my well pump so I had to upgrade.

Your water heater will use 3500 watts per element if you're lucky, could be as high as 4500 or 5KW.

If you want a generator to get you through some cold days or just a few days in event of a weather event, etc....you need to get one larger than you think you will need.

Personally, based on what you want to power, I would look at the 6500W Honda at the smallest. However I suggest you go big and buy once/cry once. Generac has some nice 10KW continuous units and Northern Tool has some good North Star generators with V-twin Hondas.

Also consider getting the generator power to the house. Do you plan on living there a long time? If so, I would change your main panel for a gen-ready panel. Thats what I did and my portable generator can power any circuit I choose, not limited to 8, 12, 16 circuits from a seperate transfer switch. Keep in mind, a separate transfer switch will need 2 circuits for a double-pole breaker.

A main panel is about $400, plus breakers, input box, and labor to install...its a full day job for a pro but is the best way.

Next best way is a separate transfer switch but it's close to the total dollar amount for a new panel, but easier to install.

Back to your concern, your elec motors like a fridge,.microwave will need about 3 times the running watts to start up.

If you run your hvac, you will likely need to disable the elec heat strips unless you get a big genny.

Hope this helps.
  • mhardy6647
    mhardy6647 Posts: 32,926
    edited November 2017
    We live in a place where no electricity means no water and no heat. We also have a fancy-schmancy high-efficiency boiler that, we were told, doesn't like dirty AC power and could fail expensively if fed same. Consequently, we have a Honda EU7000is generator for emergencies. Not inexpensive, but quiet, easy to use, reliable (so far) and, it is said, very clean AC power waveforms with good regulation of voltage and frequency.

I think there are probably other good generators, but I don't think any are better than the Hondas.

PS FWIW, the one we have is not lightweight. It is almost unbelievably heavy, in fact -- but, yeah, higher output than the OP's target generator :/
  • exalted512
    exalted512 Posts: 10,735
    Honda makes great generators. I race motorcycles and know a lot of people, myself included, that run generators several times a year because of that hobby. Honda and Yamaha are both very popular, however, a growing number of people are switching to Harbor Freight. Their Honda 3000 equivalent is on sale right now (and it might be ending today, I'm not sure) for $679. https://www.harborfreight.com/3500-watt-super-quiet-inverter-generator-63584.html

Everyone I know that has one has been very happy with them. I have a regular Predator generator (not the quiet inverter) that I bought probably 6 years ago now. I've never had any issues with it, other than the pull rope broke once. If I was in the market for one, that's what I'd go with.
    -Cody
    Music is like candy, you have to get rid of the rappers to enjoy it
  • FestYboy
    FestYboy Posts: 3,861
    Agreed, the HF units are popular for a reason: they work, and are just as quiet as the hondas and ryobis. And they're cheap!!!
  • WagnerRC
    WagnerRC Posts: 2,138
    I have the Honda eu3000si and the eu7000si. These things work and no bs. Easy to maintain and 100% reliable. I've owned cheaper other brands and no comparison.
  • nooshinjohn
    nooshinjohn Posts: 25,034
    Go solar instead... that way you will be doing your part to save the planet, and when you get a Nissan Leaf, the power you charge it with will be as green as the car.
    The Gear... Carver "Statement" Mono-blocks, Mcintosh C2300 Arcam AVR20, Oppo UDP-203 4K Blu-ray player, Sony XBR70x850B 4k, Polk Audio Legend L800 with height modules, L400 Center Channel Polk audio AB800 "in-wall" surrounds. Marantz MM7025 stereo amp. Simaudio Moon 680d DSD

“When once a Republic is corrupted, there is no possibility of remedying any of the growing evils but by removing the corruption and restoring its lost principles; every other correction is either useless or a new evil.”— Thomas Jefferson
  • motorstereo
    motorstereo Posts: 2,042
    I recently sold my non EU 7500 watt Honda after buying one of these.https://www.harborfreight.com/3500-watt-super-quiet-inverter-generator-63584.html My Honda was loud and didn't ramp down during low power use like the inverter generators do. The reviews on the Predator are good and price was right. I lose my power a couple times a year and I've already tried it out during a 2 hour outage. I made a double male cord and was able to feed the other leg of my circuit and the generator powered the entire house. I used my 10,000 ac along with all the lights and it powered everything fine. The only caveat being that it doesn't do 220 so no stove or electric hot water heater. Not a big deal to me but having a quiet generator is soooo nice now.
  • Don't know about the their generators but, I have a Honda blower and mower. By far the best I've ever owned compared to other brands owned over the years. I think they're the Lexus of the small engine world known for their reliability.
  • mhardy6647
    Go solar instead... that way you will be doing your part to save the planet, and when you get a Nissan Leaf, the power you charge it with will be as green as the car.

At least where I live, it's kind of either/or -- you get net metering or an off-grid system. As best I can understand it, I cannot get access to our PV's juice when the grid is down.

Just thought I'd throw that in.

On topic -- Honda knows how to make good (great) engines... large or small.

• tonyb
    tonyb Posts: 32,902
    I'll agree with Mark on this, and if Toyota made generators, I'd suggest them as well. In the construction industry, we use Honda's, quiet/dependable, can take the abuse.

Because they are highly in demand though, they are also tops when it comes to getting stolen. Some buy the cheap stuff as throw aways, much the same way one buys other cheap tools or even cheap audio gear.
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Acoustic zen Satori speaker cables
    Acoustic zen Matrix 2 IC's
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's
    Audio metallurgy ga-o digital cable

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • Honda makes the best small engine in the world. Same can be said of their 4cyl automobile engine.
    2 channel: Anthem 225 Integrated amp; Parasound Ztuner; TechnicsTT SL1350; Vincent PHO-8 phono pre; Marantz CD6005 spinner; Polk SDA2BTL's; LAT International speaker cables, ZU Mission IC's and power cables all into a PS Audio Dectet Power center.

Other; M10 series II, M7C's, Hafler XL600 amp, RB-980BX, Parasound HCA-1500 amp , P5 preamp, all in storage. All vintage Polk have had crossover rebuilds and tweeter upgrades.

The best way to predict the future is to invent it.

It is imperative that we recognize that an opinion is not a fact.

Imagine making politics your entire personality.
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,708
    Honda makes the best small engine in the world. Same can be said of their 4cyl automobile engine.

They can't make an F1 power unit worth a damn.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,474
    F1nut wrote: »
    Honda makes the best small engine in the world. Same can be said of their 4cyl automobile engine.

On a side note I wouldn't expect the generator to go 225mph either :p

• Hermitism
    Hermitism Posts: 4,192
    I went to cut my Dad's grass because he's an antique. His lawnmower is pretty old, too. He has a 30+ years old Honda lawnmower that has been unstoppable until I got a hold of it. He has multiple gas cans in his garage...unleaded, diesel, gas/oil mixture. So I grab the can that has always been used for the lawnmower, filled up the tank on the mower, started it...ran for ten seconds and stopped. Took a look at the fuel in the can and it had turned a milky color. Well, my Dad got mixed up, as he does, and started using a different can for the mower. So the can I used had fuel that was about 10 to 12 months old. How come the people on The Walking Dead are still driving cars with old gas, ten years after the apocalypse, but I can't run a lawnmower with ten month old fuel? I have no issues about believing in zombies, but I take issue with their exaggeration of fuel's life span. Where are they getting all the fuel stabilizer from?? Anyways, he also has an eight year old Briggs & Stratton 5500W Storm Generator that has worked flawlessly. Every six months I'll put a little fuel in it and run it until the fuel runs out, then shut off the gas line. It can power a lot of stuff in the summer, but in the winter, it can really only power two small portable heaters. My point is, if you choose to store fuel in the generator's tank for an extended period of time, don't forget to add fuel stabilizer.
  • WagnerRC
    WagnerRC Posts: 2,138

solar power installment requires battery back up to be useful in power down times.

• mhardy6647
    Hermitism wrote: »
    I went to cut my Dad's grass because he's an antique. His lawnmower is pretty old, too. He has a 30+ years old Honda lawnmower that has been unstoppable until I got a hold of it. He has multiple gas cans in his garage...unleaded, diesel, gas/oil mixture. So I grab the can that has always been used for the lawnmower, filled up the tank on the mower, started it...ran for ten seconds and stopped. Took a look at the fuel in the can and it had turned a milky color. Well, my Dad got mixed up, as he does, and started using a different can for the mower. So the can I used had fuel that was about 10 to 12 months old. How come the people on The Walking Dead are still driving cars with old gas, ten years after the apocalypse, but I can't run a lawnmower with ten month old fuel? I have no issues about believing in zombies, but I take issue with their exaggeration of fuel's life span. Where are they getting all the fuel stabilizer from?? Anyways, he also has an eight year old Briggs & Stratton 5500W Storm Generator that has worked flawlessly. Every six months I'll put a little fuel in it and run it until the fuel runs out, then shut off the gas line. It can power a lot of stuff in the summer, but in the winter, it can really only power two small portable heaters. My point is, if you choose to store fuel in the generator's tank for an extended period of time, don't forget to add fuel stabilizer.

Story for the day!

Although, in all seriousness, my sympathy and empathy to you on your father's confusion :(
  • mhardy6647
    WagnerRC wrote: »

solar power installment requires battery back up to be useful in power down times.

Yes, although banking the power in an EV or plug in hybrid isn't a bad idea if one has or is leaning towards such a vehicle anyway. Sort of a win-win.
  • motorhead43026
    motorhead43026 Posts: 3,892
    edited November 2017

Not a deal breaker, not much money too be made in F1 power plants.

I hear their HondaJet is really unique and first class.

2 channel: Anthem 225 Integrated amp; Parasound Ztuner; TechnicsTT SL1350; Vincent PHO-8 phono pre; Marantz CD6005 spinner; Polk SDA2BTL's; LAT International speaker cables, ZU Mission IC's and power cables all into a PS Audio Dectet Power center.

Other; M10 series II, M7C's, Hafler XL600 amp, RB-980BX, Parasound HCA-1500 amp , P5 preamp, all in storage. All vintage Polk have had crossover rebuilds and tweeter upgrades.

• mhardy6647

Not a deal breaker, not much money too be made in F1 power plants.

well, I dunno -- but the financial model is certainly different than for, say, CR-Vs.

;)

Speaking as (co) owner, at the moment, of two Toyotas & one Honda (automobiles/trucks, that is)-- right now, today, I would say: Honda, all the way. :|

The Taco will last 'til the apocalypse (at least the drivetrain); the RAV4... I'm considerably less impressed with. Mrs H's CR-V has the smoothest, quietest running (4 cyl) engine I think I've ever encountered. Even the starter sounds like precision machinery. Kind of impressive, actually, for a cheap vehicle that looks, as someone once opined, a lot like a running shoe.

• motorhead43026
    edited November 2017
    Mhardy, I purchased a 2014 Honda Certified CR-V a couple weeks ago with 32,000 miles. Really a sweet machine. This is my 3rd Honda , and I drive my cars for at least 10 years.

• DaveHo
    DaveHo Posts: 3,471
    edited November 2017
    Regardless of which generator you choose, either get a gen hook up for your panel, or a lockout switch, back feed breaker and a proper inlet. Don't make a suicide cord as previously mentioned. Sure, you might understand how to safely handle it, but what if you're not home. Doing it right doesn't have to be expensive.
  • mhardy6647
    Mhardy, I purchased a 2014 Honda Certified CR-V a couple weeks ago with 32,000 miles. Really a sweet machine. This is my 3rd Honda , and I drive my cars for at least 10 years.

I am very seriously thinking about getting a used CR-V to replace the '06 RAV4 I currently drive -- although it will be hyper-boring to have two nearly identical vehicles in the garage :/

Not being much of a gearhead (any more), the older I get the better boring cars look to me, though :|

... but we digress :p
  • motorhead43026
    edited November 2017
    Well, you need another shoe so you have a pair.

• Viking64
    Viking64 Posts: 6,646

As David Hobbs would say: "KABLAMMO!!!" :p
  • GlennDog
    GlennDog Posts: 3,084
    THANKS! . . . Still exploring my options

I like the Honda EU line .... light, portable & can be wired in parallel to double the power
    Portability is a MUST, without breaking by 'ol back!

btw, I was looking closely at the EU2800 offerings and only one dealer confessed to a recall related to the carb and fuel spillage. They will not sell me one until the problem is solved, hence I'll loose out on the Sale-A-Bration $200 off incentive!!
    AC Regenerator PS Audio PerfectWave Power Plant 10
    Source Lumin U1 Mini into Lampi Baltic 4
    Pre Cary SLP-05
    Power Rogue M180 Dark monos
    Mains Salk HT2-TL
    Rythmik F12
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,708
    Viking64 wrote: »

Oh yeah, years back when Honda had their factory team those engines would always blow in a spectacular manner. Their current power units simply die without the flames and billowing clouds of smoke. I guess that's a step in the right direction.

Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,474

Oh yeah, years back when Honda had their factory team those engines would always blow in a spectacular manner. Their current power units simply die without the flames and billowing clouds of smoke. I guess that's a step in the right direction.

It's a clean BLOW ;)
  • mhardy6647

Is this why Honda doesn't build & sell trucks for the US market?

giphy.gif
  • ken brydson
    ken brydson Posts: 8,638
    pitdogg2 wrote: »

It's a clean BLOW ;)

I'm somewhat... Nvm...