MOMO MMC650 or Infinity kappa 62.5i

Systems
Systems Posts: 14,873
edited April 2004 in Car Audio & Electronics
Hi, I really don't know which speaker I should go for. Has anyone had experience with either of these speakers. I would really appreciate any personal oppinions.

thanks,
nic
Testing
Testing
Testing
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• MacLeod
    MacLeod Posts: 14,358
    edited April 2004
    Momo, Momo, Momo!!! 'Nuff said!

The Infinity isnt a bad speaker but its a very bright sounding one and can sound very "tinny" with metal or hard rock. If youre into jazz or rap then the Infinitys are fine but if you like anything with heavy guitars you wont dig em. Plus the bass response is pretty lame as well.

The Polks on the other hand are very warm sounding. They have some of the smoothest highs around and work great with virtually all kinds of music. They can handle a lot of power and sound great at loud levels. Yessir, its hard to beat the Momo line without getting into a much higher price range.
    polkaudio sound quality competitor since 2005
    MECA SQ Rookie of the Year 06 ~ MECA State Champ 06,07,08,11 ~ MECA World Finals 2nd place 06,07,08,09
    08 Car Audio Nationals 1st ~ 07 N Georgia Nationals 1st ~ 06 Carl Casper Nationals 1st ~ USACi 05 Southeast AutumnFest 1st

polkaudio SR6500 --- polkaudio MM1040 x2 -- Pioneer P99 -- Rockford Fosgate P1000X5D
  • Systems
    edited April 2004
    Thanks so much for being so detailed. I've heard good things about both of these speakers. They're for a boat, so I don't really need the absolute top of the line, however I do want a top notch speaker.
    Momos are higher priced, do you think that is justified?

thanks,
    nic
    Testing
    Testing
    Testing
  • neomagus00
    neomagus00 Posts: 3,899
    edited April 2004
    it depends on you; with the polks, you're paying more for a better speaker. if the sound on the boat doesn't have to be amazing, go with the infinitys and save some money.

btw, the bass response bit is important in the open-air environment of a boat.
    It's not good, very fundamentally simply not good. - geolemon

"Its not good enough until we have real-time fearmongering. I want my fear mongered as it happens." - Shizelbs
  • Systems
    edited April 2004
    I don't mean to sound like a noob, but I guess I am. What does is the bass response bit?

thanks,
    nic
    Testing
    Testing
    Testing
  • exalted512
    exalted512 Posts: 10,735
    edited April 2004
    bass response=how much bass
    more bass response=more bass
    -Cody
    Music is like candy, you have to get rid of the rappers to enjoy it
  • MacLeod
    MacLeod Posts: 14,358
    edited April 2004
    I would still go with the Polk. The Infinity will not sound as good at a high volume as the Momo would. Since youre going to use em on a boat you will probably be playing them louder than someone in a car would.
    polkaudio sound quality competitor since 2005
    MECA SQ Rookie of the Year 06 ~ MECA State Champ 06,07,08,11 ~ MECA World Finals 2nd place 06,07,08,09
    08 Car Audio Nationals 1st ~ 07 N Georgia Nationals 1st ~ 06 Carl Casper Nationals 1st ~ USACi 05 Southeast AutumnFest 1st

polkaudio SR6500 --- polkaudio MM1040 x2 -- Pioneer P99 -- Rockford Fosgate P1000X5D
  • neomagus00
    edited April 2004
    ever noticed that you hear less bass when you roll the windows down? in a boat, there's way less enclosed space than in a car, so you need much more powerful bass to hear it at the same level as mids and highs.

"Its not good enough until we have real-time fearmongering. I want my fear mongered as it happens." - Shizelbs
  • Systems
    edited April 2004
    Cool, you guys convinced me...that was easy. They're only $20 buck more per pair anyway...not like it's a big deal. Besides the momos look awesome as well, which is a nice little side bonus.

thanks again for all your help...if you guys need any boat help let me know.

Have a good one,
    nic
    Testing
    Testing
    Testing
  • neomagus00
    edited April 2004
    hey, i understand his sn now! anyway, glad we could help :D

• Systems
    edited April 2004
    I'll post some pics in about a week, to show what your advice looks like in a boat.....they'll look and sound great I'm sure. I've got a huge install ahead of me....Well the shop does, should I say. 4 interior speakers(momos), head unit, 10 disc changer, 2 amps, tower speakers, 2 wired remotes, sub and box.

thanks again

nic
    Testing
    Testing
    Testing
  • neomagus00
    edited April 2004
    tower speakers??

• Systems
    edited April 2004
    They're the speakers that fit on top of the wakeboard tower.
    Testing
    Testing
    Testing
  • Systems
    edited April 2004
    Hey guys....one more noob question if you don't mind. In the picture of these speakers what is the littel square shaped thing...is it the external crossover? If so, what does it do and where does it go or mount?

thanks,
    nic
    Testing
    Testing
    Testing
  • exalted512
    edited April 2004
    yeah, i believe thats the external crossover youre looking at
    it seperates the high frequencies from the low frequencies and sends the highs to the tweets, lows to the mids
    you put it anywhere b/t the amp and the speaker, or the headunit and the speaker if youre not using an amp
    -Cody
  • Systems
    edited April 2004
    Does it have to be visable to the speakers?
    Testing
    Testing
    Testing
  • jamas33
    jamas33 Posts: 89
    edited April 2004
    If you are having professionals install the system. Then dont worry about where what when those crossovers go. They will install it properly. If you need any help and is in the southern california area let me know. I know guys that install sound systems in boats, rv's and other things. Email me jamas33@hotmail.com
    Equipment List:
    Head Unit: Kenwood Excelon XXV-005
    Planet Audio P13.3
    Ipod 60 GB
    XBox
    AMPS:
    Kicker KX1200.1
    Kicker KX850.4
    Speakers:
    Front: Kicker RS65
    Rear: Kicker RS65
    Rear Deck: Pioneer 4x10 (AAARGH)
    Subs: 2 Kicker 15L7

my car: http://www.cardomain.com/ride/571313
  • exalted512
    edited April 2004
    Originally posted by malibu
    Does it have to be visable to the speakers?
    no
    -Cody