Polk Audio

Systems
Systems Posts: 14,873
edited April 2004 in Car Audio & Electronics
Hey guys, I am just tryin to figure out what I want to put in my car, and redo my home audio in, and with home audio I have sampled polk gear at a friends and love it, but am more sketchy about the audio. I have always used Alpine type R subs with RF punch amps and have been very happy with the results. I love polk though and if I get enough of an idea would spend the money for an all out home/car audio thing and get everything all streamline, instead of sticking to what I know. Please tell me some of your stories, good and bad regarding the car audio equipment.
Testing
Testing
Testing
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• neomagus00
    neomagus00 Posts: 3,899
    edited April 2004
    hmm... on the mobile side (as this is the mobile section of the forum): i have the mm6's and i'm extremely pleased with them. from what i know, the type-r's and the yellow momos (the best ones) are approximately equal. alpine's got the new type-x subs out, which are probably better. uh, for a little more you can get adire; some like diamond audio; if you step up to type-x or beyond, you should move out of rf amps and into hifonics/usamps quality.
    It's not good, very fundamentally simply not good. - geolemon

"Its not good enough until we have real-time fearmongering. I want my fear mongered as it happens." - Shizelbs
  • MacLeod
    MacLeod Posts: 14,358
    edited April 2004
    My opinion on Polk speakers is that the Momo line is the best speaker you can buy for the money. The DB is a pretty good entry level speaker but the Momo blows it away.

If your budget is $300 and under then you wont do better than Polk/Momo components. However if you want to venture into the $350 then look to MB Quart and Diamond Audio. If you want to go into the $400 and above then look no further than Focal. The sweetest sounding speaker on the planet!

I agree that you should look to move on from RF amps. Theyve got a quality control issue I believe and they sound strong but Ive always thought they sounded a little "thin". Again depending on budget, Id recommend Kicker, Crossfire, Coustic and Eclipse in the under $400 range with Xtant, JL Audio and Orion in the over $400 category. I personally think that Xtant are the best sounding but lack a lot of power whereas Orion lacks the sweetness of Xtant but has plenty of grunt. JL would be a nice blend of both, But thats just my take.
    polkaudio sound quality competitor since 2005
    MECA SQ Rookie of the Year 06 ~ MECA State Champ 06,07,08,11 ~ MECA World Finals 2nd place 06,07,08,09
    08 Car Audio Nationals 1st ~ 07 N Georgia Nationals 1st ~ 06 Carl Casper Nationals 1st ~ USACi 05 Southeast AutumnFest 1st

polkaudio SR6500 --- polkaudio MM1040 x2 -- Pioneer P99 -- Rockford Fosgate P1000X5D
  • neomagus00
    edited April 2004
    macleod - what's your take on CDT?

"Its not good enough until we have real-time fearmongering. I want my fear mongered as it happens." - Shizelbs
  • MacLeod
    edited April 2004
    I had never heard of them til Cody mentioned them on a thread a few months back. Since then Ive done some looking around and although I cant find much press on them, what I did find seemed to be glowing! Most press and reviews seemed to hold them in the same league as Focal, Quarts and Diamonds and one went so far as to say they were the best sounding speakers theyve ever tested so they must be pretty sweet.

I wish I could find a dealer in the vicinity so I could go give em a listen. Doubt they can top my beloved Focals tho! ;)

I think they may be more prevalent in the west and I dont think they have many dealers out here in Dixie. Kind of like Lunar amps. Youre gonna have to do some digging if you want to find one of those east of the Mississippi!
    MECA SQ Rookie of the Year 06 ~ MECA State Champ 06,07,08,11 ~ MECA World Finals 2nd place 06,07,08,09
    08 Car Audio Nationals 1st ~ 07 N Georgia Nationals 1st ~ 06 Carl Casper Nationals 1st ~ USACi 05 Southeast AutumnFest 1st

polkaudio SR6500 --- polkaudio MM1040 x2 -- Pioneer P99 -- Rockford Fosgate P1000X5D
  • exalted512
    exalted512 Posts: 10,735
    edited April 2004
    well you didnt ask me, but ill tell ya anyway
    well other than having the most awesome warranty in the world, some say theyre overpriced
    i dont think so
    i heard their TOTL 3 ways in a 3000GT along with 3 ID Max subs one time
    holy crap
    that was awesome
    i wanted to cry
    not as good sounding as the TOTL Focal, but for the warranty, theyre impossible to beat
    im considering these for the "next" system
    when will that be?
    hell if i know...whenever i can afford it
    -Cody
    Music is like candy, you have to get rid of the rappers to enjoy it
  • neomagus00
    edited April 2004
    it was an open-ended question:) (don't you just hate those?)

actually, you mentioned the truck you pulled up next to recently (if this isn't the same situation, feel free to let your mind wander). so you think top end focals beat out top end cdts?

mac-ive never heard of lunar amps, what are they like? compared to usamps and trutech? i live in ahia (if you say it with the right accent it makes sense), so i'm probably in the same boat as u here.

• exalted512
    edited April 2004
    focals beat out the CDTs in sound, yes
    in powerhandling and warranty, no
    -Cody
  • neomagus00
    edited April 2004
    well, assuming you don't overpower them (at that level of equipment, i would never think of it) they shouldn't just break. stuff that expensive just shouldn't do that. i think i'd take the sound over the warranty; then again, they're both far better than anything i've ever heard, so...

• exalted512
    edited April 2004
    egh...youd be suprised
    CDTs are much louder, and retain great SQ while doing so
    I want to hear Boston Acoustics...they have 5.25" comps that do like 350w RMS!
    i wonder how they sound...
    -Cody
  • TrappedUnder Ice
    TrappedUnder Ice Posts: 975
    edited April 2004
    cody...ever listened to Dynaudio?
  • exalted512
    edited April 2004
    actually, no, ive heard several GREAT things about them, ive heard they have better SQ than CDT and are right up there with Focal
    thats another brand im considering for my next set of comps...i just need to hear em first...
    -Cody
  • PoweredByDodge
    PoweredByDodge Posts: 4,185
    edited April 2004
    if i had an open ended bank account and i was doing a car from scratch, currently owning nothing so i didn't have to work around existing purchases... i'd go w/ the following.

Polk DB 'junior' components in front
    Polk DB ' junior ' coaxials in back

running off Soundstream Tarantula TR500/4 (125 x 4)

and one of two sub setups...

either 1--->
    Polk 'baby' momo 2104's ( two of them )
    running off Soundstream Tarantula TR500/4 bridged @ 500 x 2

or choice 2 --->
    Resonant Engineering **** (one)
    running off Soundstream Tarantula flagship amp @ 2000 x 1 at 4 ohms.

choices 1 and 2 each have their advantages and disadvantages... the first will yield better soundquality, a bit more punchy-ness, and more of a natural sound. the second will give you a heavy duty slam, about 50% "louder" than the first, but a degredation in sound quality and natural progression will be noticed.

Alpine 9815 headunit

AInet 12 disc mp3 cd changer

xm satellite radio

all the fine points....
    The Artist formerly known as PoweredByDodge
  • MacLeod
    edited April 2004
    The thing that makes Focals great is their tweeter. It has a unique design, the cone is inverted and its hand made with some fucky materials.

The first time I heard them was in a shop in Texas that had Quarts, JLs and Focal. I went down the line with my trusty Dream Theater test CD (Train of Thought) and of course loved the Quarts and the JLs were pretty good too but had a little too much mid bass for my tastes. I wasnt going to try the Focals because Id never heard of them and thought they were cheapos but the salesman came over and told me to try em. I couldnt believe how sweet they sounded. The midrange was a little warmer than the Quarts but not really any better sounding. The tweeter on the other hand was amazing. The highs are so soft and smooth...well the word that I keep thinking of for some reason is whipped honey! So Dynaudios may sound better than Focals in the midrange dept but I havent heard anything that even comes close to Focals high end performance.

Lunar is a relatively new company. They make nothing but high end amps but are hard to find east of the Mississippi. Ive heard a couple in shops back in Texas but never in a system. They sound pretty good and have a warm feel to them, kind of like the JL Audio Slash amps.

• swerve
    swerve Posts: 1,862
    edited April 2004
    since this thread is kind of talking about starting out... my trunk consists of 2 MM2124's and a c500 im looking to upgrade from the amp and have about 350 dollars to do so. (but ill keep my c500 because its so sexy) so what do u all recomend?!?

thanks for your help
    cats.vans.bag...
  • exalted512
    edited April 2004
    id have to disagree with you on that one vince
    i dont think momos will sound any better than the ****
    and you can make-up the punchiness with the box for the ****
    i know the **** is built a little more for SPL than the Brahma, but i still think it will sound better than the momos
    crossfire is a brand i really like for their amps even though i hardly ever mention them
    little above hifonics, little below USAmps
    soundstream is really good too
    their human reign series amps scare the crap out of me...
    -Cody
  • TrappedUnder Ice
    edited April 2004
    I did a straight comparison with the Focals and the Dyns...even using Focals test disk The focal tweeter...IMO was nothgint to rant about. Sounded like my Diamond tweeter. The Dyn however...jusst blew it away. I'm talking Utopias here...anyway... EAch to thier own :)
  • exalted512
    edited April 2004
    yeah, ill def. be looking into those before i make any decisions on my next set of comps.
    -Cody
  • MacLeod
    edited April 2004
    Originally posted by TrappedUnder Ice
    I did a straight comparison with the Focals and the Dyns...even using Focals test disk The focal tweeter...IMO was nothgint to rant about. Sounded like my Diamond tweeter. The Dyn however...jusst blew it away. I'm talking Utopias here...anyway... EAch to thier own :)

I would say though that when youre into the league of Focal, Dynaudio, CDT, MB Quart and Diamond Audio (I would say a/d/s but screw DEI!!) you really cant go wrong. Kind of like comparing between Anna Kournikova, Britney Spears and Alyssa Milano. Yeah youre gonna have your favorite but would you really complain if you got stuck with one of the others? :p

• neomagus00
    edited April 2004
    hehe... very well put... :D

• TrappedUnder Ice
    edited April 2004
    Uh...Alyssa...any day :):D
  • MacLeod
    edited April 2004
    Actually Ive always been partial to Sarah Michelle Gellar (Buffy the Vampire Slayer) myself!

• neomagus00
    edited April 2004
    but would you complain about any of the others? the only reason i would is STDs, one never knows with celebrities. more so spears than anna, but...

• MTXMAN
    MTXMAN Posts: 682
    edited April 2004
    yeah, i'm an avril lavigne man myself... but like you said, to each his own... i'll have to find a dynaudio dealer so i can hear them before i go ahead and get the diamond hex comps....
    Hemi: (HEM -e) adj. Mopar in type, V8, hot tempered, native to the United States, carnivorous, eats primarily Mustangs, Camaros, and Corvettes. Also enjoys smoking a good import now and then to relax.
  • MacLeod
    edited April 2004
    You should give Dynaudios a listen even if youre not wanting to buy them. They are pretty F'n awesome and worth a listen just to say youve heard them!

But you should also try some Focals. Dude I swear they are the sweetest sounding things around! The only downside is they are made by the panty-waist French.

• MTXMAN
    MTXMAN Posts: 682
    edited April 2004
    lol, my big problem's gonna be getting a head to head comparasion, i'm in a fairly small city car audio wise so i'll be lucky if i can track down a focal or dynaudio dealer near me, i'm probably gonna have to jump to 3 diff stores and probably drive about 60mi to hear them all...
    Hemi: (HEM -e) adj. Mopar in type, V8, hot tempered, native to the United States, carnivorous, eats primarily Mustangs, Camaros, and Corvettes. Also enjoys smoking a good import now and then to relax.
  • MacLeod
    edited April 2004
    I did. When I lived in Texas I drove to Dallas to hear Dynaudios, to Austin to hear a/d/s and Diamond Audio and in my home town of Temple I had Focal. I finally decided on the Focal Polyglass line.....then ran out of money and moved to Tennessee. So Im still waiting to buy them!! :(

I recommend grabbing a CD you know very well and use only that one to test drive the speakers. Its not as good as side by side but by using the same CD youll note the strengths and weaknessess of each.

I use one by Dream Theater, "Train of Thought". It has some very heavy guitar but also very presice guitar, keyboard and drum work. It has a lot of stuff that you simply cant hear on lesser speakers.

• neomagus00
    edited April 2004
    mtxman - i know what you mean. this is what i did - i set aside a whole saturday and went to 7-8 different shops that carried a wide variety of brands, some overlapping (like 3 carried focal, 2 eclipse, etc.). i used mapquest to plan it out. drove a couple hundred miles, wasted a tank of gas, but had myself a grand 'ole time.

• exalted512
    edited April 2004
    car audio field trip
    woohoo!
    too bad i live like 3 hours from anything that resembles decent car audio
    id waste like 60 dollars of gas just trying to listen to a few different brands
    -Cody