R.I.P Gord Downie

Options
Willow
Willow Posts: 10,876

Comments

• Iamtheslime
    Options
    Hey Willow, thanks for starting the discussion - we lost a really beautiful guy last night. You have a favourite song ? I have so many, but one is "Gift Shop" - Gord really was a gift, and will be missed dearly. R.I.P. Gord.
  • msg
    msg Posts: 9,450
    Options
    Damn.
    I disabled signatures.
  • Iamtheslime
    Options
  • Willow
    Willow Posts: 10,876
    Options
    I'm not a good huge fan of theirs. Just never got into the hip. I don't mind them. So I don't have a favorite song. But I do realize how influential he was in the Canadian music scene as well as international. Although not many Americans posted comments. Nonetheless a loss to the music industry.
  • 11tsteve
    11tsteve Posts: 1,166
    Options
    Been a fan of the Hip for a couple of decades. It's been a sad day since he told the world and the made their farewell tour.
    For me, though others come close on some days, "Grace, Too" is the song. It brought me to the band when the performed on SNL, and it has never lost it's place.
    One of by biggest musical sadnesses is never seeing this band live.
    There is another band up there right now, The Barr Brothers, who are gaining steam but nobody knows here, and I get to finally see them in Minneapolis. Not going to make the same mistake twice.
    Polk Lsi9
    N.E.W. A-20 class A 20W
    NAD 1020 completely refurbished
    Keces DA-131 mk.II
    Analysis Plus Copper Oval, Douglass, Morrow SUB3, Huffman Digital
    Paradigm DSP-3100 v.2
  • BlueMDPicker
    BlueMDPicker Posts: 7,569
    edited October 2017
    Options
    Sorry for the loss of a beloved artist to so many Canadians. RIP

I'm not familiar with his/their music, but will definitely check it out.

Edit: Half way through "In Between Evolution" and wondering how in the h e l l I overlooked this group and Gord. Speaking in terms I grasp, and not offering comparison, he was like Michael Stipe--if Stipe had a sense of humor--and David Byrne in his edgy insights. Eddie Vedder has nothing on Gord. What a great talent, indeed!
    Post edited by BlueMDPicker on
  • Iamtheslime
    Options
    Enjoy BlueMDPicker ! you might like Live Between Us as well.
    Willow wrote: »
    I'm not a good huge fan of theirs. Just never got into the hip. I don't mind them. So I don't have a favorite song. But I do realize how influential he was in the Canadian music scene as well as international. Although not many Americans posted comments. Nonetheless a loss to the music industry.

Yeah, that's just the thing, the Hip never really caught on in the US - other than a few border states - Michigan for example. That rejection south of the border, I think was part of the attraction to Canadians - kind of weird, but seems collectively Canadians thought that if our friends to the south don't get it, all the more for us to enjoy them. Someone described them as Canada's house band, and I think that captured it well.