blown mm2124's

Systems
Systems Posts: 14,873
edited April 2004 in Car Audio & Electronics
i have a sony xplode xm-d1000p5 amp with 2 polk momo 2124 subs in a q-logic type 2 sealed box and a pioneer DEH-P4600MP head unit. i had the first set of momo's about 3 months and then they blew. both subs were 100% demagnetized (is that even possible). i have no idea what the heck when wrong with them, but they both died. i got them replaced and the same thing happened again...except the magnets still had some magnetism left. then i got a set of audiobahn aw121t's. those blew in 2 weeks. i go back and my installer tells me that a set of alpine etype's would be fine and handle the 900 watts rms of my amp. i only had to laugh. i was back within 2 hours, and those blew during the breakin process. now im back to the audiobahns. WHAT CAN I DO??? im running less than 30% gain and 5db bass boost on the amp. the eq on the deck is flat with no "loud" button on. anyone got any suggestions. im open to anything. help me out!!! please!!!
Testing
Testing
Testing
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• neomagus00
    neomagus00 Posts: 3,899
    edited April 2004
    that's just incredibly strange. i've never heard of any magnet becoming demagnetized, much less the giant ones on subs, in an enclosed environment to boot... damn, the only thing i can say is take your time on the breakin process... or the box could be too big... but that's just creepy...
    It's not good, very fundamentally simply not good. - geolemon

"Its not good enough until we have real-time fearmongering. I want my fear mongered as it happens." - Shizelbs
  • GT_03
    GT_03 Posts: 37
    edited April 2004
    get a different amp
  • Systems
    edited April 2004
    yeah...i know. i have no idea how it happened, but it did. the screwdriver didnt have any attraction to it at all. weird...isnt it?

anywho....i still need some suggestions on what could handle my amp, since the audiobahn aw121t's are rated at 550rms and can probably handle even more ;)

thanks for the comments
    Testing
    Testing
    Testing
  • Systems
    edited April 2004
    What is wrong with the amp???? my installer said that it would be fine to push the 2 momo's. they did all the tuning and i didnt touch a thing.
    Testing
    Testing
    Testing
  • neomagus00
    edited April 2004
    either you use some funky space-age screwdriver, or you've invented some new physics. or you're just a 'dumbhacker'. :p

uh, the 500.1 does 550x1@2, i think. look at hifonics, usamps, rf maybe. www.sounddomain.com, too

"Its not good enough until we have real-time fearmongering. I want my fear mongered as it happens." - Shizelbs
  • GT_03
    GT_03 Posts: 37
    edited April 2004
    Just a joke, easy there captain
  • neomagus00
    edited April 2004
    then again, it is a sony. he could use a different amp.

• DumbHacker
    DumbHacker Posts: 4
    edited April 2004
    hey....for $125 new for the amp i cant really complain too much...sony is not my first choice for an amp, but it was an xmas preseant from my parents. oh well...keep up the suggestions.

~Thanks
  • neomagus00
    edited April 2004
    fair enough... free is good; hell, even cheap is good. pbd gets outraged when he pays retail, for phil's sake!

maybe your car has ghosts, that could explain it...

• exalted512
    exalted512 Posts: 10,735
    edited April 2004
    in my entire life, i have never heard of a speaker being "demagnetized"
    thats possibly the weirdest thing ive ever heard of...lol
    are you sure the screwdriver is metal?
    some arent...
    i would get something that you are completely sure is metal and try it again...a paper clip or something...
    I have no idea what could possibly be wrong...haha
    id blame it on the amp though
    not really any kind of evidence or knowledge...just because i hate sony and like blaming stuff on them:D
    thats...i dunno
    im with neo...
    damn ghosts...
    -Cody
    Music is like candy, you have to get rid of the rappers to enjoy it
  • mbdyer12
    mbdyer12 Posts: 220
    edited April 2004
    Why are you guys bashing Sony? Thats messed up. Just because their amps, speakers and head units aren't any good doesn't mean you should ....oh wait...hmm.. Yeah, buy a different amp. Go with Hifonics :D
    2005 Subaru Impreza WRX
  • exalted512
    edited April 2004
    hey, it was free, id say sony is worth free...
    i would take it
    i wouldnt put it in my truck, but its always nice to have a back up incase something like...oo i dunno...my rockford fosgate amp blows...
    f***ing fosgate...
    -Cody
  • DumbHacker
    edited April 2004
    maybe my car does have ghosts. who knows. i dont care either. oh well. if its the amp that really sucks then what should i go with? hopefully i can upgrade the subs later and be pushing about twice what i am now....somewhere around 2000 watts rms and 4000 watts max. any good (if possible...cheap...) suggestions out there? how bout some matching subs? the headunit could also use some upgrading? thanks for the comments. keep em comming.
  • mbdyer12
    mbdyer12 Posts: 220
    edited April 2004
    Haha bravo. Very well put...and yeah, f***ing Fosgate is right (even though I wouldn't know)
    2005 Subaru Impreza WRX
  • exalted512
    edited April 2004
    Originally posted by DumbHacker
    maybe my car does have ghosts. who knows. i dont care either. oh well. if its the amp that really sucks then what should i go with? hopefully i can upgrade the subs later and be pushing about twice what i am now....somewhere around 2000 watts rms and 4000 watts max. any good (if possible...cheap...) suggestions out there? how bout some matching subs? the headunit could also use some upgrading? thanks for the comments. keep em comming.
    hifonics amps, adire brahmas, pioneer premier 960 head unit
    -Cody
  • DumbHacker
    edited April 2004
    anyone got any thoughts about jl audio 12w7's or mtx 9500's 12 inch??? oh yeah and by the way....my rear spoiler flew off while driving down the road about 2 weeks ago...there is that ghost thing again. lol.
  • exalted512
    edited April 2004
    JL sucks
    -Cody
  • neomagus00
    edited April 2004
    i think you have the ghost i used to - every once in a while, i'd come home and windows would be opened that i made damn sure to lock in the morning, or lights would be on that i clearly remembered turning off. creepy ****, sometimes.

on jl - i think that they're good stuff, just wildly overpriced. if done right, w7s can sound pretty sweet. their amps are alright too. macleod has some dissenting opinions, as does cody (which i'm sure you've discovered by now :D)

• exalted512
    edited April 2004
    if you can get a w7 for less than $350 then go for it
    if not then go with an adie brahma
    fat chance of finding a w7 for under 350 though
    they make good equipment, but theyre worth literally about 3x less than what you pay
    vince hates JL worse than i do...
    i have a ghost in my truck too
    damn thing keeps hitting the gas pedal when im not looking and getting me tickets...
    -Cody
  • neomagus00
    edited April 2004
    :p hehe... i think we all have that particular ghost sometimes...

i think bladez got it worse than anyone else tho - 115 in a school zone, he's cool now...

ive been there like 10 times and i still laugh every time i see the picture of them and their cars...

• DumbHacker
    edited April 2004
    what about the mtx 9500 or rf power hx2??? both of those seem to be comparable to the w7...right now im just looking and getting opinions. everyone keeps talking about adire brahmas and hifonics amps. what about US Amps?
  • exalted512
    edited April 2004
    nothing RF or MTX will match that JL in SQ
    maybe in RMS, but not nearly the SQ
    stuff thats compared to the W7 is the ID Max, Adire Brahma, RE ****, Eclipse Titanium...few others
    USAmps are way better than hifonics amps
    hifonics is the best "midgrade" stuff for the price IMO
    USAmps is really up there, not the best, but up there
    -Cody