Denon AVRX4300H Any Good

mrloren
mrloren Posts: 2,454
edited September 2017 in Electronics
Hello,

A coworker is building an HT. He asked me what AVR to get and I saw this Denon 4300H for $800 new
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01KZRPNIQ/ref=pe_210290_253966620_em_1p_0_ti . I have never owned a Denon, so I don't know if I should recommend it to him.

How would it compare to my SR5010.

Cheers

Loren
When I was a kid my parents told me to turn it down. Now I'm an adult and my kids tell me to turn it down.
Family Room:LG QNED80 75", Onkyo RZ50 Emotiva XPA3 GEN3 Oppo BDP-93,Sony UBP-X800BM. Main: Polk LsiM 705Center: Polk LSiM 704CFront High/Rear High In-Ceiling Polk 80F/X RT Surrounds: Polk S15 Sub: HSU VTF3-MK5
Bed Room; Marantz SR5010, BDP-S270Main: Polk Signature S20Center: Polk Signature S35Rear: Polk R15 Sub: SVS SB2000
Working Warehouse; Yamaha A-S301, Sony DVP-NS3100ES for disc Plok TSX550T SVS PB2000 Mini tower PC with 400GB of music

Comments

• mdaudioguy
    mdaudioguy Posts: 5,165
    Yes! I'll be helping my buddy set up his 4300 tomorrow. He has S60s and S30 up front. Sat surrounds in back from his old system, but a killer Martin Logan sub. I haven't seen a better discount on a higher-end NIB receiver like that in a while. 3 year warranty too. I have lots of experience with Denon as of late and have been very pleased with them, especially the X series.
  • mdaudioguy
    A little heavier than your 5010, so hopefully the extra pounds are in the power supply. 4300 has 125 wpc vs 100 wpc for your 5010. The Denon is a little higher up the chain, feature-wise, too.
  • mrloren
    edited September 2017
    mdaudioguy wrote: »
    A little heavier than your 5010, so hopefully the extra pounds are in the power supply. 4300 has 125 wpc vs 100 wpc for your 5010. The Denon is a little higher up the chain, feature-wise, too.

Cool thanks, I just told him to order it as it is better than mine. One thing I did notice is that the Denon has Audyssey XT32 as the SR5010 has just XT with no sub management.

So looks like one day next week I'll be hooking it up to my old Rti8's. The guy I sold my old speakers to is getting this AVR...

and if we get our vacation payout at work I might get one too at that price.

Oh, please let me know how you like your friends 4300. I have the same S60/S30 in my system.
    When I was a kid my parents told me to turn it down. Now I'm an adult and my kids tell me to turn it down.
    Family Room:LG QNED80 75", Onkyo RZ50 Emotiva XPA3 GEN3 Oppo BDP-93,Sony UBP-X800BM. Main: Polk LsiM 705Center: Polk LSiM 704CFront High/Rear High In-Ceiling Polk 80F/X RT Surrounds: Polk S15 Sub: HSU VTF3-MK5
    Bed Room; Marantz SR5010, BDP-S270Main: Polk Signature S20Center: Polk Signature S35Rear: Polk R15 Sub: SVS SB2000
    Working Warehouse; Yamaha A-S301, Sony DVP-NS3100ES for disc Plok TSX550T SVS PB2000 Mini tower PC with 400GB of music
  • BlueFox
    BlueFox Posts: 15,251
    Not that it is relevant, but I had a Denon 3805 driving four LSi15s, and a LSiC, with no problems. It got hot at times, but since it was on a top shelf it didn't melt down.

That was maybe 15 years ago during the great "You can't use LSi speakers with an AVR." debates. LOL
    Lumin X1 file player, Westminster Labs interconnect cable
    Sony XA-5400ES SACD; Pass XP-22 pre; X600.5 amps
    Magico S5 MKII Mcast Rose speakers; SPOD spikes

Shunyata Triton v3/Typhon QR on source, Denali 2000 (2) on amps
    Shunyata Sigma XLR analog ICs, Sigma speaker cables
    Shunyata Sigma HC (2), Sigma Analog, Sigma Digital, Z Anaconda (3) power cables

Mapleshade Samson V.3 four shelf solid maple rack, Micropoint brass footers
    Three 20 amp circuits.
  • mikeyb128
    mikeyb128 Posts: 2,885
    Denon has now merged with marantz. From what I read, buy denon, get marantz sound and save some money?
    2 channel:
    Bryston 4B3, Bryston BDA3, Cary SLP05, Shanling CDT1000SE with parts conneXion level 2 mods, Nottingham analogue ace space 294, soundsmith Carmen MKii, Zu DL103 MKii, Ortofon MC 20 MKii, Dynavector XX2 MKii, Rogue Audio Ares, Core power technologies balanced power conditioner, Akiko Corelli power conditioner with Akiko Audio HQ power cable, Nordost heimdall 2, Frey 2, interconnects, speaker and power cables, Focal Electra 1028 BE 2, Auralic Aries Femto, Black diamond racing cones, ingress audio level 1 roller blocks, JL Audio E110 with Auralic subdude, Primacoustics room treatments.
    Theater:
    Focal Aria 926,905,CC900, SVS PB ultra x2. Pioneer Elite SC85, Oppo BDP93, Panamax M5400PM, Minix neox6, Nordost Blue heaven LS power cables.

• mdaudioguy
    mikeyb128 wrote: »
    Denon has now merged with marantz. From what I read, buy denon, get marantz sound and save some money?

Well, that happened 15 years ago. More recently (this year), D+M were acquired by Sound Untied, which is the parent company to the company whose forum you're on right now.
  • rooftop59
    rooftop59 Posts: 7,952
    Denon and marantz still sound different. Marantz is still music first, with a warmer sound. Denon is slightly more HT oriented. Sound is more neutral and forward and pretty dynamic, great for HT.
    Living Room 2.2: Usher BE-718 "tiny dancers"; Dual DIY Dayton audio RSS210HF-4 Subs with Dayton SPA-250 amps; Arcam SA30; Musical Fidelity A308; Sony UBP-x1000es; Squeezebox Touch with Bolder Power Supply
    Game Room 5.1.4:
    Denon AVR-X4200w; Sony UBP-x700; Definitive Technology Power Monitor 900 mains, CLR-3000 center, StudioMonitor 350 surrounds, ProMonitor 800 atmos x4; Sub - Monoprice Monolith 15in THX Ultra

Bedroom 2.1
    Cambridge Azur 551r; Polk RT25i; ACI Titan Subwoofer
  • mikeyb128
    I think I read in stereophile that once you get into Marantz/Denon higher end units, the companies use a lot of "overlapping parts", and sound very similar, with the main differences being video performance. I will see if I can dig it up.

I had no idea Marantz and Denon merged that long ago. Figured it was only a couple years.
    2 channel:
    Bryston 4B3, Bryston BDA3, Cary SLP05, Shanling CDT1000SE with parts conneXion level 2 mods, Nottingham analogue ace space 294, soundsmith Carmen MKii, Zu DL103 MKii, Ortofon MC 20 MKii, Dynavector XX2 MKii, Rogue Audio Ares, Core power technologies balanced power conditioner, Akiko Corelli power conditioner with Akiko Audio HQ power cable, Nordost heimdall 2, Frey 2, interconnects, speaker and power cables, Focal Electra 1028 BE 2, Auralic Aries Femto, Black diamond racing cones, ingress audio level 1 roller blocks, JL Audio E110 with Auralic subdude, Primacoustics room treatments.
    Theater:
    Focal Aria 926,905,CC900, SVS PB ultra x2. Pioneer Elite SC85, Oppo BDP93, Panamax M5400PM, Minix neox6, Nordost Blue heaven LS power cables.

• I have one, sounds great, but, USB refuses to work after only a few hours of operation. Need to send it back.
  • mdaudioguy
    mrloren wrote: »
    Oh, please let me know how you like your friends 4300. I have the same S60/S30 in my system.
    Sounded fantastic! The S60s had more oomph than they did with his previous, much older, lower-end Denon. Clean and clear, with stronger bottom end. I like these Denon models, because they're very straightforward in function, meaning there aren't a lot of settings that need to be messed with. Turn it on, run the auto-calibration, and go. Btw, the Audessey XT32 is nice.

I forgot he has the S35 center, not that I think it matters much. I've still never done a side-by-side comparison. I think there's a slight difference, but both are decent centers. There was also a definite improvement in center channel voice clarity with the new AVR.
  • rooftop59
    edited September 2017
    I know there is not much love for audioholics on this forum lol, but this seems like a reasonably well done comparison imho...

http://www.audioholics.com/av-receiver-reviews/marantz-sr5008-sr6008-sr7008
    Living Room 2.2: Usher BE-718 "tiny dancers"; Dual DIY Dayton audio RSS210HF-4 Subs with Dayton SPA-250 amps; Arcam SA30; Musical Fidelity A308; Sony UBP-x1000es; Squeezebox Touch with Bolder Power Supply
    Game Room 5.1.4:
    Denon AVR-X4200w; Sony UBP-x700; Definitive Technology Power Monitor 900 mains, CLR-3000 center, StudioMonitor 350 surrounds, ProMonitor 800 atmos x4; Sub - Monoprice Monolith 15in THX Ultra

Bedroom 2.1
  • pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,471
    All I know is they sure didn't know how to pack gear returning to you for warranty work. Twice i had sent stuff double boxed in the factory packing in the first box. Only to have it returned to me naked in a box to big for the 2900. DESTROYED!!! Twice D&M shipped it that way. I blew a gasket that they had no idea how to ship their own product. I asked what the heck happened to the packing i sent it in? They were clueless.

They did more damage to the unit than it went in for.
  • mdaudioguy wrote: »
    Sounded fantastic! The S60s had more oomph than they did with his previous, much older, lower-end Denon. Clean and clear, with stronger bottom end. I like these Denon models, because they're very straightforward in function, meaning there aren't a lot of settings that need to be messed with. Turn it on, run the auto-calibration, and go. Btw, the Audessey XT32 is nice.

I forgot he has the S35 center, not that I think it matters much. I've still never done a side-by-side comparison. I think there's a slight difference, but both are decent centers. There was also a definite improvement in center channel voice clarity with the new AVR.

You give those S60 at least 200w, high current they really are impressive for what they are
    2 channel: Anthem 225 Integrated amp; Parasound Ztuner; TechnicsTT SL1350; Vincent PHO-8 phono pre; Marantz CD6005 spinner; Polk SDA2BTL's; LAT International speaker cables, ZU Mission IC's and power cables all into a PS Audio Dectet Power center.

Other; M10 series II, M7C's, Hafler XL600 amp, RB-980BX, Parasound HCA-1500 amp , P5 preamp, all in storage. All vintage Polk have had crossover rebuilds and tweeter upgrades.

The best way to predict the future is to invent it.

It is imperative that we recognize that an opinion is not a fact.

Imagine making politics your entire personality.
  • mdaudioguy
    mdaudioguy wrote: »

You give those S60 at least 200w, high current they really are impressive for what they are

No doubt!
  • mrloren
    So I went to my coworkers house who bought my RTi8/Csi5 and RTi4. Unhooked his little old 75 watt 15lb Yamaha. Put in this nice bigger Denon, ran Audyssey and it was a Hello moment for him. I did the standard adjustments of bumping up the bass.

I only stuck around for a bit and played a little rock (the Cult Sonic Temple) Yes the Rti came alive. He tossed in a blu-ray and the look on this guys face was priceless. Extremely nice AVR for $800. Music on it sounded as good as my Sony ES.
  • skrol
    skrol Posts: 3,330
    Some of the Denon and Marantz components are identical inside. I have a Denon DBP-1611U and a Marantz UD-5005 universal disc players. They truly are identical inside, sound the same and same picture quality. Menus the same except one says Denon the other Marantz. I think the Marantz sold for $100 more but it looks better.
    Stan

Main 2ch:
    Polk LSi15 (DB840 upgrade), Parasound: P/LD-1100, HCA-1000A; Denon: DVD-2910, DRM-800A; Benchmark DAC1, Monster HTS3600-MKII, Grado SR-225i; Technics SL-J2, Parasound PPH-100.

HT:
    Marantz SR7010, Polk: RTA11TL (RDO198-1, XO and Damping Upgrades), S4, CS250, PSW110 , Marantz UD5005, Pioneer PL-530, Panasonic TC-P42S60

Other stuff:
    Denon: DRA-835R, AVR-888, DCD-660, DRM-700A, DRR-780; Polk: S8, Monitor 5A, 5B, TSi100, RM7, PSW10 (DXi104 upgrade); Pioneer: CT-6R; Onkyo CP-1046F; Ortofon OM5E, Marantz: PM5004, CD5004, CDR-615; Parasound C/PT-600, HCA-800ii, Sony CDP-650ESD, Technics SA 5070, B&W DM601
  • BlueFox
    BlueFox Posts: 15,251
    pitdogg2 wrote: »
    All I know is they sure didn't know how to pack gear returning to you for warranty work. Twice i had sent stuff double boxed in the factory packing in the first box. Only to have it returned to me naked in a box to big for the 2900. DESTROYED!!! Twice D&M shipped it that way. I blew a gasket that they had no idea how to ship their own product. I asked what the heck happened to the packing i sent it in? They were clueless.

They did more damage to the unit than it went in for.

LOL. I had the same issue with Sony and their Laredo service center. They probably sold the original boxing back to Sony. :)
    Lumin X1 file player, Westminster Labs interconnect cable
    Sony XA-5400ES SACD; Pass XP-22 pre; X600.5 amps
    Magico S5 MKII Mcast Rose speakers; SPOD spikes

Shunyata Triton v3/Typhon QR on source, Denali 2000 (2) on amps
    Shunyata Sigma XLR analog ICs, Sigma speaker cables
    Shunyata Sigma HC (2), Sigma Analog, Sigma Digital, Z Anaconda (3) power cables

Mapleshade Samson V.3 four shelf solid maple rack, Micropoint brass footers
    Three 20 amp circuits.
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,704
    I think I read in stereophile that once you get into Marantz/Denon higher end units, the companies use a lot of "overlapping parts", and sound very similar, with the main differences being video performance. I will see if I can dig it up.

I had no idea Marantz and Denon merged that long ago. Figured it was only a couple years.

Denon doesn't have any higher end units.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• rooftop59
    F1nut wrote: »

Yea, I think he means AVRs and BDPs. Denon doesn't make high end SACD players, or any 2 channel integrated or plain ole CD players as far as I know...
    Game Room 5.1.4:

Bedroom 2.1
  • mikeyb128
    I know marantz has their reference series, but that's not what we are talking about here. Denon makes some 3000$ receivers, and to some that would be considered high end.
    2 channel:
    Theater:

• pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,471
    edited September 2017
    Wonder why Denon stopped? They had some good stuff with their 5900 series uni players. The last I seen was that really nice amp and pre they had several years back.

F1nut wrote: »

Boy you're not kidding just went to the website. No DVD, CD or amps and preamps of any kind except HEOS stuff.

Receivers that is it. crying shame.
  • mrloren
    So this guy I sold my old RTi and HSU sub is loving this AVR-X4300. I didn't see him at work yesterday. He called out just to stay home and enjoy his new AVR. I too was impressed on how good it sounded. Audyssey XT32 is so much better than the generic Audyssey my SR5010 came with.

Something else to put on the save for list.