Let the 505 mods begin!

utxman8odnyu.jpg
First up: lengthen the port.
I'll have to do this via a dove tailed or lapped 2 piece shelf since the hole won't let a 1 piece fit. I'll extend it to 2" off the back wall as seen in the picture. If that starts to show improvement, I can then add to it vertically to gain more length. Another addition will be a half round to the initial shelf for better transition and less port noise.

Comments

• Airplay355
    Airplay355 Posts: 4,298
    I've been waiting for you to startup this thread :) Are you going to add some bracing in there as well?
  • FestYboy
    FestYboy Posts: 3,861
    The lengthened port will act as an additional brace. The box is already pretty dead acoustically.
  • FestYboy
    Ok, putting this on hold till I find out what's up with the hum at startup. I bring the AVR online and for up to a minute, there's a hum from my left front sub. It dissipates slowly after 10 seconds or so, but is there for almost a minute and then it gets dead quiet. Also last night for the first time, the center and then separately the right rear surround exibited loud static randomly for about 30 min of the movie we were watching. I'm going to do some more diag and source testing on that front. I hope it's not the AVR...

PS: the one that hums is also the one I cracked open for measurements on the driver side of the box. Can't see how it's related as nothing was disconnected, and hopefully it's just a coincidence but still...
  • Airplay355
    Airplay355 Posts: 4,298
    That's too bad. I've had the loud static thing happen once. It sounded like the internal white noise test tone came on briefly. Scared the crap out of me.
  • FestYboy
    Good news / bad news: found the source of the noise/static (I think)... It's my BD player. So I guess it's time to upgrade... It's weird though, the noise always starts at the CC then moves to the right front, then the right rear... I messed with the HDMI cable (unplugged and reinstalled) and the noise stopped alot sooner. This makes me wonder if my hypothesis is correct since the signal is all digital to the receiver.