sub selection

Options
jablonep
jablonep Posts: 18
edited April 2004 in Car Subwoofer Talk
Please help me decide on a sub or subs. Already have 4 MM6 components in the doors. The amp for the sub/subs is installed and is a fosgate 551s. I listen to a semi-wide range of music but wouldn't mind something that hits loud/hard but not overwhelming in non rap tracks.

Considering:

2 10s: polk2104
punch stage 2
infinity perfect 10.1d

or 1 12: kicker L7 (2ohm)

Please help, any suggestions on other subs or box type are welcome also. Thanks.

Eric
Post edited by jablonep on

Comments

• neomagus00
    neomagus00 Posts: 3,899
    edited April 2004
    Options
    the L7 is loud, but the others are much cleaner. square is just strange. um... since you seem to like clean sound (4 sets of mm6's, damn) you'll want a sealed box. with 2 subs, definately.
    but, with that amp, you're getting 550W x 1 Ch. @ 4 Ohms.

2 of the 8-ohm p2's could work, you'd be overdriving them by 75 watts on a 200 watt sub. mebbe dangerous.

you could get 1 infinity, and overdrive that by like 150 watts, or 2 of them and underdrive them by 75 w apiece (a better option)

one polk mm124 would be perfect, powerwise.
    you'd underdrive 2 2104's by only 25 w apiece, but people here regularly overdrive them by 50.
    g2g, i'll come back
    It's not good, very fundamentally simply not good. - geolemon

"Its not good enough until we have real-time fearmongering. I want my fear mongered as it happens." - Shizelbs
  • neomagus00
    edited April 2004
    Options
    with the L7 and that amp, you'd need the 2 ohm version and you'd wire it in series. and then you'd underdrive it by about 50%.

"Its not good enough until we have real-time fearmongering. I want my fear mongered as it happens." - Shizelbs
  • jablonep
    jablonep Posts: 18
    edited April 2004
    Options
    Why do you say 50%. I thought the 551 powering the 2ohm L7 would put out 550rms and it is rated for 750. You're probably right but could you explain. Also, I heard it would be more efficient in a vented box, but not quite as accurate.
  • neomagus00
    edited April 2004
    Options
    last first - yes, any sub will be more efficient in a vented box, gaining on average 3 dB - which is equivalent to doubling your amplifier power on the same sub in a sealed box. good. but, you lose some sq because the job of controlling the sub's motion is more on the suspension and amp instead of the air in the box. and, worse, you absolutely must use a subsonic filter in a vented box - the driver unloads below the tuning frequency (the cone moves too slowly for the air to have any suspension effect) and it will cook itself, slowly basting in its own juices. more thump tho.

uh, 50% - 1/2 of 550 is roughly 250, difference b/w 550 and 750 is roughly 250. roughly. i probably should have used 750 as my reference, in which case you'd be underdriving it by about 30%, but that sounds less impressive. but it's more true.