Jennings Research speakers

13»

Comments

• cortico
    cortico Posts: 587
    edited October 2017
    I have found out this page with the specs:

"Frequency response of 38-24,000Hz, frequencies are crossed over and divided at 1750Hz in 12 Db per Octave segments"

nhkbr3okvvqp.jpg

• xschop
    xschop Posts: 4,598
    Those landed in good hands. Someone that respects the uniqueness and nostalgia as well as SQ of the rebuild.
    Don't take experimental gene therapies from known eugenicists.
  • cortico
    xschop wrote: »
    Those landed in good hands. Someone that respects the uniqueness and nostalgia as well as SQ of the rebuild.

Thank you for the kind words!
  • I found a pair of these in the local thrift store for $16 about 2 years ago. They were in near perfect shape. I used Feed-n-Wax to polish them up and now they look perfect. Great sounding speakers and a real work of art. I added feet to them to get a solid stance.

Not much to find on the www about them and everything I have seen is posted here.
  • cortico
    Hi all, Happy New Year

I have purchased 4 cheap Goldwood GW-8028 ($25) to temporarily replace the original drivers while those are being restored. The mentioned earlier the cabinets are closed and Frequency response is 38-24,000Hz, crossed over and divided at 1750Hz.

I was not expecting much from these but surprisingly it performed really well. Great synergy with the original peerless tweeters and Marantz 2270. The sound is on the warm side but has a very pleasant vintage vibe to it.

Question is, it will sound like heresy, but could this be superior to the original vintage drivers?

Product Specifications
    Nominal Diameter8"
    Power Handling (RMS)100 Watts
    Power Handling (max)190 Watts
    Impedance8 ohms
    Frequency Response25 to 6,000 Hz
    Sensitivity84 dB 2.83V/1m
    Voice Coil Diameter1.5"
    Magnet Weight20 oz.

Thiele-Small Parameters
    Resonant Frequency (Fs)36 HzDC
    Resistance (Re)7.2 ohms
    Voice Coil Inductance (Le)0.5 mH
    Mechanical Q (Qms)3.9
    Electromagnetic Q (Qes)1.21Total Q (Qts)0.92
    Compliance Equivalent Volume (Vas)1.54 ft.³
    Mechanical Compliance of Suspension (Cms)0.73 mm/N
    BL Product (BL)6 Tm
    Diaphragm Mass Inc. Airload (Mms)26.9g
    Maximum Linear Excursion (Xmax)2.5 mm
    Surface Area of Cone (Sd)218.2 cm²

Materials of Construction
    Cone MaterialPolySurround MaterialRubber
    Basket / Frame MaterialSteelMagnet MaterialFerrite

Mounting Information
    Overall Outside Diameter8"
    Baffle Cutout Diameter7.25"
    Depth3.625"# Mounting Holes4
    Optimum Cabinet Size (determined using BassBox 6 Pro High Fidelity suggestion)
    Sealed Volume1.85 ft.³Sealed F341 Hz
    Vented Volume7.34 ft.³Vented F323 Hz
  • Tony M
    Tony M Posts: 11,007
    I used Goldwoods on a bunch of speakers and one set of AR's or Advent's they sounded GREAT!
    I got a few compliments on their sound too. Hated to sell them. But the new owner called me back and said they sounded FANTASTIC in his home. He thanked me again!

I know originals are designed with the whole speaker parts designed as a whole. But in this case and my own experience years ago, I think cheap Goldwoods are GREAT cheap replacements sometimes.

This is COOL! B)
    Most people just listen to music and watch movies. I EXPERIENCE them.
  • cortico
    I hear you! $25 each really?! Madison speaker recomended this based on the speaker specs and cabinet volume... listening Diana Krall as I type and it sounds beautifully.
  • quiettime
    quiettime Posts: 3
    I’ve a pair of Jennings MK1 speakers. What’s their value?
  • pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,420
    quiettime wrote: »
    I’ve a pair of Jennings MK1 speakers. What’s their value?

.06 on the dollar.
  • cortico
    edited May 2019
    what model are they, contrara? @quiettime
  • cortico
    they are the same model as mine. Who cares about value, do you like it or not?
  • quiettime
    My husband loved them but he’s passed away. I’m downsizing and deciding what to sell. Thank you
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,666
    quiettime wrote: »
    My husband loved them but he’s passed away. I’m downsizing and deciding what to sell. Thank you

You can search sites such as eBay and HiFi Shark for past sale prices to get an idea.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• quiettime
    Thank you for your suggestions
  • cortico
    You can also try: https://www.usaudiomart.com/
    I really like this speakers, knowing how they’re built and sound I would pay up to $250 for a nice pair.

With that said, the real depends on how bad someone wants it. Where are you located?
  • I just got a pair of these and LOVE the look, but I'm still trying to get them to sound as good as they look.

I'm now to the hi-fi game and these are currently my "best pair" , bit I love my Zenith MC 4000s and a pair of 1990 sansusi's that are insane and built like a tank just black and dull to look at.

I see you changed the drivers. Do they feel "boomy" or are you still happy with the modern Goldwoods? I know the tweeters and the cabinets are the big deal.

.. I used a solen cap and regret it , so harsh. I have other 8uf caps on order, but I also think about swapping in a modern prebuilt or try to build a new crossover. could this hardware support an MTM crossover?

I want these to sound as amazing as they look.. people gush as how sexy they look. not so much the sound yet.
  • VSAT88
    VSAT88 Posts: 1,225
    Damn you guys lost me at "Goldwoods". I do agree that some replacement speakers do sound good though. Out.
  • cortico
    edited October 2019
    I just got a pair of these and LOVE the look, but I'm still trying to get them to sound as good as they look.

I'm now to the hi-fi game and these are currently my "best pair" , bit I love my Zenith MC 4000s and a pair of 1990 sansusi's that are insane and built like a tank just black and dull to look at.

I see you changed the drivers. Do they feel "boomy" or are you still happy with the modern Goldwoods? I know the tweeters and the cabinets are the big deal.

.. I used a solen cap and regret it , so harsh. I have other 8uf caps on order, but I also think about swapping in a modern prebuilt or try to build a new crossover. could this hardware support an MTM crossover?

I want these to sound as amazing as they look.. people gush as how sexy they look. not so much the sound yet.

Yes, they look really nice, better than what they sound, sure. But don’t sound bad either, maybe a bit bommy. Mine are retired inside a closet after I set up a new system, they don’t make sense anymore. Wasn’t able/ not worth to sell it, the new tweeters alone where about $100, plus sonicaps, woofers, etc.... not sure what to do with it.
  • RevDyn
    RevDyn Posts: 1
    Thanks, cortico (and others) for all the information you put into this thread. I am finally getting around to restoring a pair that I found at the thrift store a couple years ago. Today I lightly sanded the tops and applied Danish oil. They had obviously been used as plant stands, but now they look fantastic. On one, the particle board swivel base had been exposed to water and swelled up, so I'm shaving it down and filling in chips and voids before I paint the bases. I think my tweeters are both bad, but the 8" speakers all seem to be firing quite well. I will check the caps you replaced before proceeding (mine both say "Minerva" like your 8uf original). Again, I really appreciate all the information in this thread!
  • I was the owner of these speakers for about 2 years in the years 78-80. I am from Rome. Seeing a discussion deservedly dedicated to them I could not resist the temptation to make a comment. Maybe it will be nostalgia. I see that almost everyone is talking about beauty of these objects. Truly these acoustic houses were as beautiful as the whole Jenings line. Too expensive for the manufacturer. But few say how they sounded: divinely with jazz and in some songs it seemed to have the orchestra in front of you. that this was a blatantly wrong design. The teewter which was a peeerless ko10dt was cut at 1750 hz. This gave it a unique openness and realism but it was too low as a crossover frequency !! easy to clipping, inexorably the coil of the teew burned. I will have changed about 5 or 6 before changing the speakers. and I assure you, I was not exaggerating with the volume even if I admit that some sometimes it could happen to turn the knob because these loudspeakers gave their best at medium-high volumes .. With these splendid speakers you can't afford it
    PS: I wanted to have my say but I don't know English well, I rely on Google translate hoping that something will be understood a
  • idigitto
    idigitto Posts: 3
    Hello, my name is mark I AM FROM WISCONSIN

Don't know if anyone is still here its been a year it looks like
    i am happy to be here!!!!!!!!!
    my town is THE HOME OF LIENINKUGLE BEER... IS MADE HERE
    I have a pair of Jennings research mk 1's on their way
    my birthday is the 14 of July and speakers will be here on the 13th !!!!!!
    my mother bought me my first stereo system when i was 13-14 years old
    i hade the vector one's BY JENNINGS RESEARCH MY MOM PAYED 200.00 FOR ONE SPEAKER AND GOT THE SECOND SPEAKER FOR A PENNY AT A PLACE IN EAU-CLARE WISCONSIN CALLED
    HI-FI KENNYS ON WATER STREET IN 1975
    VECTOR ONE'S HAD one 10' woofer with peerless tweeter and a 10' radiator on the back
    now i am 58 years old and have spent thousands of dollars on stereo equipment (NOT KIDDING) first pair were Jennings research and this will be my last pair and funny there JENNING'S SPEAKERS tooooo

i have around 15 pair of speakers DCM TIME WINDOWS, TIME FRAMES, SANSUI 9700, PIONEER 903'S
    around 10 receivers
    6 EQ's
    3 turntables
    2 oppo Bouray's
    2 cassette decks
    1sub woofer
    on and on and on
    anyways when i bought these speakers a couple of days ago i looked around on the web and found this site
    so, i joined just to see if anyone is listening

Hello Hello Hello Hello Hello anyone there :):):)
  • idigitto
    I AM GOING NUTS WAITING FOR THEM!!!!!!! MK1'S MK1 'S HURRY UP !!!!!! 4 MORE DAYS !!!!!!! :(:(:(
  • dromunds
    dromunds Posts: 9,960
    Hello, I’m located not too far from you in Central Wis. Used to work in Chippewa Falls a thousand lifetimes ago. Welcome to CP.
  • idigitto
    Good to see someone is still here
    who else is here besides dromonds
    I live in Hallie.... lake Hallie between Chippewa and Eua Claire
    looks like a nice day i guess i need to go outside and paint the house some more!!!!!

fun fun fun!!!!!! Not!!!!!!
  • Idg, How did the speaks sound?
    Mark in GA
  • I purchase a pair from Pacific Stereo on Lankershim bl. in North Hollywood in 1976. Had them up until a couple of years ago.
  • treitz3
    treitz3 Posts: 18,188
    Cortico....you should join in on the fun more often bro'.

Tom
    ~ In search of accurate reproduction of music. Real sound is my reference and while perfection may not be attainable? If I chase it, I might just catch excellence. ~