A small lesson on being grateful

Options
dpowell
dpowell Posts: 3,054
edited September 2017 in The Clubhouse
I don't know if there are others like me around here that tend to go in the direction of 'once a shiny new piece of gear has spent some time in the rig, you begin to see more of the flaws and what the gear lacks while that thrill of the initial awesomeness has worn off'.

Today, I received a lesson on how to be grateful for what I have when experiencing it's absence from my system. Last night, my Pioneer SC-67 experienced a fatal error UE22. Instant boat anchor. A quick google search shows that there are a ton of frustrated Pioneer and Onkyo owners dealing with this and that it's a matter of time for most Pioneer AVR's made in 2011 and 2012 to experience the same problem. I'm thankful that Pioneer appears to be doing the right thing and offering repairs beyond the 2 year standard warranty. Time will tell.

A year and a half ago, I just happened to pick up some new receivers when our local Pacific Sales closed their Home Theater store departments at 90% off MSRP. I picked up 8 or 9 receivers and flipped most of them. A Denon AVR-1613 that never sold has been sitting in storage for a year and a half. I'm thankful it didn't sell since I've been able to get a rig on crutches running until the Pioneer is back in its rightful spot.

Here's my lesson in being grateful.

What I wasn't liking about the Pioneer:
No dual sub room EQ support
The mobile app controls leave a lot to be desired
Pandora no longer works and Pioneer hasn't released a firmware update to fix it
I would like to get Dolby Atmos and the SC67 doesn't support it

I plugged in the spare Denon AVR-1613 and quickly realized just how fortunate I am to have the SC-67.

No pre-outs! :open_mouth:
One Sub output
Only 5.1 surround
Weak, garbage sounding internal amp.
only 4 HDMI inputs
Basic Audessy room correction doesn't come close to MCACC and Air Studios Monitor

I have a renewed appreciation for the far superior SQ of the Pioneer Elite thanks to this problem. Good lesson for me to focus on the positive of what I have......It can also save a ton of money. :smiley:

polkaudio Fully Modded SDA SRS 1.2TLs + Dreadnaught, LSiM706c, 4 X Polk Surrounds + 4 X ATMOS, SVS PB13 Ultra X 2, Pass Labs X1, Marantz 7704, Bob Carver Crimson Beauty 350 Tube Mono Blocks, ADCOM GFA 7807 + 5400, Panasonic UB420, Moon 380D DAC, EPSON Pro Cinema 6050
Post edited by dpowell on

Comments

• BlueFox
    BlueFox Posts: 15,251
    Options
    So, you are saying the top end AVR is better than an entry level model? :)

There is nothing wrong with being grateful. There are better things to spend money and time on than chasing some elusive sound. Hope you get the Pioneer back soon. Enjoy the Denon while it holds down the fort.
    Lumin X1 file player, Westminster Labs interconnect cable
    Sony XA-5400ES SACD; Pass XP-22 pre; X600.5 amps
    Magico S5 MKII Mcast Rose speakers; SPOD spikes

Shunyata Triton v3/Typhon QR on source, Denali 2000 (2) on amps
    Shunyata Sigma XLR analog ICs, Sigma speaker cables
    Shunyata Sigma HC (2), Sigma Analog, Sigma Digital, Z Anaconda (3) power cables

Mapleshade Samson V.3 four shelf solid maple rack, Micropoint brass footers
    Three 20 amp circuits.
  • dpowell
    Options
    :smiley: Yes, I'm saying that the Pioneer is better....far better. And I just take for granted some of the basic things the Denon is missing.

polkaudio Fully Modded SDA SRS 1.2TLs + Dreadnaught, LSiM706c, 4 X Polk Surrounds + 4 X ATMOS, SVS PB13 Ultra X 2, Pass Labs X1, Marantz 7704, Bob Carver Crimson Beauty 350 Tube Mono Blocks, ADCOM GFA 7807 + 5400, Panasonic UB420, Moon 380D DAC, EPSON Pro Cinema 6050
  • treitz3
    treitz3 Posts: 18,316
    Options
    BlueFox wrote: »
    There are better things to spend money and time on than chasing some elusive sound.
    Whoa Nelly....slow down there big guy. Let's not go around fibbing and misleading folks. You of all people here on this forum should not have the right to say that....and admittedly, I am in the same boat.

"You never know what you have....until it's gone" is a very poular phrase...and for good reason.

Tom

~ In search of accurate reproduction of music. Real sound is my reference and while perfection may not be attainable? If I chase it, I might just catch excellence. ~
  • mhardy6647
    mhardy6647 Posts: 33,037
    edited September 2017
    Options
    I like to give the illusion of chasing elusive sound; chasing illusive sound, if you will. Sometimes, I simply allude to chasing elusive sound -- then I am chasing allusive sound.

• nooshinjohn
    nooshinjohn Posts: 25,095
    Options
    dpowell wrote: »
    :smiley: Yes, I'm saying that the Pioneer is better....far better. And I just take for granted some of the basic things the Denon is missing.

That is just not possible. All receivers sound exactly the same. There has to be some other factor involved here... cables perhaps?
    The Gear... Carver "Statement" Mono-blocks, Mcintosh C2300 Arcam AVR20, Oppo UDP-203 4K Blu-ray player, Sony XBR70x850B 4k, Polk Audio Legend L800 with height modules, L400 Center Channel Polk audio AB800 "in-wall" surrounds. Marantz MM7025 stereo amp. Simaudio Moon 680d DSD

“When once a Republic is corrupted, there is no possibility of remedying any of the growing evils but by removing the corruption and restoring its lost principles; every other correction is either useless or a new evil.”— Thomas Jefferson
  • dpowell
    Options
    dpowell wrote: »

That is just not possible. All receivers sound exactly the same. There has to be some other factor involved here... cables perhaps?
    Actually John, It's the speakers. We all know SDA's are hopelessly outdated. Heck even Polk won't make them any more! :wink: