'Tempur-Pedic' alternatives?

Options
13»

Comments

• billbillw
    billbillw Posts: 6,196
    Options
    I'm sure there is some truth to that. Don't know about formaldehyde, but most poly or memory foams will off-gas VOCs of some type since the chemical reaction makes gas bubbles, which is what makes the foam.

I am still a firm believer in latex. A lot of the latex you buy in the USA, is made in the USA and a much of it is 100% organic, made only from the sap of a rubber tree.

I actually just did a DIY latex modification to my 8 year old S&F bed. I took scissors to the mattress, cut off the quilted topper, removed the paltry 2" of worn out poly foam, and replaced it with 3" of medium talalay latex (28IDL). Using the existing pocketed coil springs, and the original quilted top, it is a massive improvement from before. Cost was only ~$350 or so. Later on, I may replace the coil springs with a 6" foam base, or a nice set of Leggett and Platt combizone springs. Eventually, I will get a proper zippered case for it all, but not till I decide on the springs/vs foam core. The zippered case is ordered for the correct height and that may vary.
    For rig details, see my profile. Nothing here anymore...
  • muncybob
    muncybob Posts: 2,975
    Options
    It seems as long as the product is made in USA then not an issue. Everybody is touting organic and/or low voc.
    Yep, my name really is Bob.
    Parasound HCA1500A(indoor sound) and HCA1000(outdoor sound), Dynaco PAS4, Denon DP1200 w/Shure V15 Type V and Jico SAS stylus, Marantz UD7007, Polk L600, Rythmik L12 sub.
  • gyosa
    gyosa Posts: 701
    Options
    Bought the top of the line Tempurpedic king size last week ....
    So far so good ..... it is a warm mattress however ...

Bk
    Dayens Ampino , Yamaha wxc-50 , Polk SDA 1c’s ( my first love .. ) , Kimber Kable 4TC, Sony 42” - BEDROOM

B&K EX-442 ( it will go in my casket when I die ... ) , PS Audio 4.6 preamp ( old school , but it still jams on ... ) , Eversolo DMP-A6 , Boston Acoustic voyager 7’s - POOL

Parasound A21, Eversolo DMP-A8 , Yamaha wxc-50 , Kimber Kable 4vs , Salk Supercharged Song towers ( difficult choice between these and my family if I had to choose ... 😩 ) , Sony XBR-A8F 65” OLED - DEN , MAIN RIG

PS Audio S300 - sitting in the closet for now …

Onkyo TX-nr609 , Polk atrium 7 , Boston acoustic sound ware (4) , Boston acoustic sub , B&W center , Sharp 65” TV - PATIO
  • muncybob
    muncybob Posts: 2,975
    Options
    Waiting on delivery of a Tuft & Needle Queen set. Consistent good reviews from an established company with good return policy. Hope we made the right choice since buying w/o actually seeing one in person. Kinda cool how the foundation is assembled. Now if the Mrs would stop snoring it'll be all good.
    Yep, my name really is Bob.
    Parasound HCA1500A(indoor sound) and HCA1000(outdoor sound), Dynaco PAS4, Denon DP1200 w/Shure V15 Type V and Jico SAS stylus, Marantz UD7007, Polk L600, Rythmik L12 sub.
  • tophatjohnny
    tophatjohnny Posts: 4,164
    Options
    I've heard good things about Casper Mattresses. We have a Temperpedic. My wife is telling me now that she hates it after 4 years. Says its too hard. Wish she figured that out during the 100 day sleep guarantee. Ugh, paid like $4k..

As we age our bodies change, bones become more brittle and find that pain easier. A softer sleep surface with proper support in lumbar region are ideal. Be glad it wasn't 10.grand.

People want to cut corners when investing in a mattress that most spend 1/3 of their life on.
    Go out and get yourself something you both love
    Sure keeps us happy as can be expected. Wouldn't trade my sleep system for anything out there..wasn't always case.
    "if it's not fun, it's not worth it & remember folks, "It's All About The Music"!!
  • mark090852
    mark090852 Posts: 996
    Options
    muncybob wrote: »
    Waiting on delivery of a Tuft & Needle Queen set. Consistent good reviews from an established company with good return policy. Hope we made the right choice since buying w/o actually seeing one in person. Kinda cool how the foundation is assembled. Now if the Mrs would stop snoring it'll be all good.

We have a T&N king and a T&N queen in our house, and have been very happy with them.
    McIntosh MA252 Integrated Amp, LUMIN D2 Network Music Player, Yamaha Aventage RX-A840 receiver, Emotiva XPA Gen3 2 channel amp, Polk LSiM 703 speakers. Oppo UDP-203 Blu-Ray player, Polk LSiM 705 speakers. Polk Signature S20 speakers.
  • audioluvr
    audioluvr Posts: 5,439
    Options
    afterburnt wrote: »
    afterburnt wrote: »
    I got an Heirloom, nicest bed I ever slept in.

Aireloom cost twice as much now but it's organic ...

Which only helps if you're eating it...
    Gustard X26 Pro DAC
    Belles 21A Pre modded with Mundorf Supreme caps
    B&K M200 Sonata monoblocks refreshed and upgraded
    Polk SDA 1C's modded / 1000Va Dreadnaught
    Wireworld Silver Eclipse IC's and speaker cables
    Harman Kardon T65C w/Grado Gold. (Don't laugh. It sounds great!)

There is about a 5% genetic difference between apes and men …but that difference is the difference between throwing your own poo when you are annoyed …and Einstein, Shakespeare and Miss January. by Dr. Sardonicus