Subwoofer Question

Demonoids777
Demonoids777 Posts: 14
edited April 2004 in Car Audio & Electronics
I just recently purchased an Audiobahn AW122T 12" subwoofer. All my friends keep saying "you have one sub now but just wait you'll want 2", and that has now sadly become a reality. The amp I have puts out 1200watts at 4ohms Bridged. what I want to do is hook up 2 of these subs in parralel. My question is can this be possible if the subs only have one 4ohm voice coil on them? If so can some one tell me the best way to go about hooking it up.

Thanks for any feed back.
Post edited by Demonoids777 on

Comments

• MacLeod
    MacLeod Posts: 14,358
    edited April 2004
    Nope.

If you have two 4 ohm subs you have only three choices. Wire them in paralell and you got a 2 ohm mono load which will fry your amp (depending on model). Wire them in series and you got an 8 ohm load which will make your amp put out half its power. The third choice would be to run the amp in 2 channel mode.

Another way is to buy two 8 ohm subs and wire them in paralell and that will give you a 4 ohm mono load.

Otherwise youre gonna have to buy another Audiobahn sub then break down and get a Class D mono amp. That will run a 2 ohm mono load all day long.
    polkaudio sound quality competitor since 2005
    MECA SQ Rookie of the Year 06 ~ MECA State Champ 06,07,08,11 ~ MECA World Finals 2nd place 06,07,08,09
    08 Car Audio Nationals 1st ~ 07 N Georgia Nationals 1st ~ 06 Carl Casper Nationals 1st ~ USACi 05 Southeast AutumnFest 1st

polkaudio SR6500 --- polkaudio MM1040 x2 -- Pioneer P99 -- Rockford Fosgate P1000X5D
  • mbdyer12
    mbdyer12 Posts: 220
    edited April 2004
    Yeah... I'd say if you like the Audiobahn sub and wanted to buy another, then go for a new class D mono block amp. It would probably be more beneficial than buying 2 new 8ohm subs because you'd still be stuck with that amp but having to split the power between 2 subs.

What's that amp put out at 2ohm stereo? (power x 2 @ 2ohms). You might be able to go with 2 dual voice coil subs without losing too much power. Someone correct me on this if I'm wrong.
    2005 Subaru Impreza WRX
  • Demonoids777
    Demonoids777 Posts: 14
    edited April 2004
    The amp I have puts out:

2 Channel Amplification
    2 x 600 Watts Output
    1 x 1200 Watts Bridged Output
    1200 Watts Total Output
    2 Ohm Stereo Stable
    Bridgeable into 4 Ohms

http://legacycaraudio.com/itempage.asp?model=LA790

This link is where you can find my amp. I know its a pretty crappy company but it sounds really nice, it sounds about as good as my friends PPI amp.
  • mbdyer12
    edited April 2004
    I wish smaller companies wouldn't try to hide real specs... I think its safe to assume that its 600x2 @ 2ohms... so that would be around 300rms x 2 @ 2ohms if you got 2 dual voice coil subs. Any other combonation wouldn't really give you enough power. I'd say go with a new amp (Class D and try to get the RMS for the amp as close to the output of the subs as possible)
    2005 Subaru Impreza WRX
  • neomagus00
    neomagus00 Posts: 3,899
    edited April 2004
    whoa, wait, where did you get that dvc subs would get 300 from the amp? the specs say 600 W x 2 Ch., and drawing from the bridged-at-4 figure, that's into a 2 ohm load. assuming the coils are both 4 ohms on the dvc sub, wiring them to parallel will get 600 watts out of each channel. unfortunately, demonoids will only get 300 per channel if he puts a 4-ohm svc sub to each... 1 quarter of what he's got now. buying a second, identical sub and using the same amp would cut your power output in half.

btw, all of the above numbers are assuming rms. if the numbers printed on the site are peak values (quite possible), pretty much divide everything by 3 (roughly) to get an rms value. in this case, mbdyer could be right, in which case my bad.
    It's not good, very fundamentally simply not good. - geolemon

"Its not good enough until we have real-time fearmongering. I want my fear mongered as it happens." - Shizelbs
  • mbdyer12
    edited April 2004
    I know its 600x2... I was just referring to aproximate RMS wattage. Too many small companies seem to only put max wattage and dont put RMS because it doesn't look "powerful enough" for buyers who can't afford big-name stuff. I'm just going by how many companies that dont list all their specs usually go by max only and forget the rms numbers completely. That link thats given is for the manufacturers website too. When I buy an amp from a company, I'd hope to see a little more detailed specs than that :(
    2005 Subaru Impreza WRX
  • neomagus00
    neomagus00 Posts: 3,899
    edited April 2004
    yeah, that's true. and i think you're right, that those are peak numbers, because it says '1200 watts total output' on the site, and that number is on a sticker on the amp. the sticker on an amp is almost always peak output. actually, since that's peak and it's not really a terribly great brand, i'd say 400 total rms, not 600. something like that.
    It's not good, very fundamentally simply not good. - geolemon

"Its not good enough until we have real-time fearmongering. I want my fear mongered as it happens." - Shizelbs