2nd epik empire amp failed

I know. I got what I paid for. So i invested 200.00 for the first amp repair and dont feel like repairing another piece of junk at the same price if not more. Does anyone have any recommendations for replacements? What about an inuke nu3000dsp .Could this be A fairly easy swap? Does anyone know if this will handle 2 subs adequately ? Thanks

Best Answers

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 7,658
    Answer ✓
    There seems to be a poster on the Klipsch forum who has repaired his amp. If you do a Google search you can spot it. Other than that I guess replace it with another company's amp.
  • rooftop59
    rooftop59 Posts: 7,952
    Answer ✓
    Don't those have eq in them? If that's the case an after market amp won't work properly unless u also add an eq, which might render it cost prohibitive. Maybe time to move on if u can't get or fixed. Sorry...
    Living Room 2.2: Usher BE-718 "tiny dancers"; Dual DIY Dayton audio RSS210HF-4 Subs with Dayton SPA-250 amps; Arcam SA30; Musical Fidelity A308; Sony UBP-x1000es; Squeezebox Touch with Bolder Power Supply
    Game Room 5.1.4:
    Denon AVR-X4200w; Sony UBP-x700; Definitive Technology Power Monitor 900 mains, CLR-3000 center, StudioMonitor 350 surrounds, ProMonitor 800 atmos x4; Sub - Monoprice Monolith 15in THX Ultra

Bedroom 2.1
    Cambridge Azur 551r; Polk RT25i; ACI Titan Subwoofer
  • EndersShadow
    EndersShadow Posts: 17,517
    Answer ✓
    Honestly your best cheapest bet is either find a similarly powered plate amp and just drop it in to replace the bad one (may require some modifications to the box).

There was probably a bit of EQ built into the plate amp from the OEM but you may not notice a difference with a Dayton plate amp.

If you go with a pro amp you may still be fine as the Empire is a dual opposed sealed sub so you don't need a highpass. You'd just seal up the hole from the plate amp you removed, and seal it with a piece of MDF/Plywood and then have either a single or dual binding post connecting to the drivers...
    "....not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted." William Bruce Cameron, Informal Sociology: A Casual Introduction to Sociological Thinking (1963)
  • WLDock
    WLDock Posts: 3,073
    Answer ✓
    Man $200 bucks to repair a sub amp? Seems steep. The repair was probably only an output chip and caps....$10-$20 in parts plus an hour of labor. One can get a 500 watt plate amp for $200. Anyway, if you like the sub then maybe keep it alive. Something like that today is going to cost a little bit.....even if you went the DIY route. So, just get a cheap pro amp like the iNuke. However, I don't agree with removing the original amp. I've seen many do this and they are throwing away a perfectly sized plate. My advice is to remove the wires on the back side of the terminals feeding the amp. Then, cut the wires coming from the subs and land them on the terminals. Now, the plate can be put back and now you have a wired passive sub. Just, wire your external amp to the terminals on the plate.

grbn0exa1bze.jpg
    2.2 Office Setup | LG 29UB55 21:9 UltraWide | HP Probook 630 G8 | Dell Latitude | Cabasse Stream Amp 100 | Boston Acoustics VS 240 | AUDIORAX Desk Stands | Mirage Omni S8 sub1 | Mirage Omni S8 Sub2
  • EndersShadow
    EndersShadow Posts: 17,517
    edited August 2017 Answer ✓
    @WLDock

You mean the speaker input terminals? If thats what your talking about I dont think the Epik has those..... I think its just RCA or XLR inputs and thats it.

So he'd need to work around that at min....

543b0895_vbattach166397.jpeg

2IMG1173-L.jpg
    "....not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted." William Bruce Cameron, Informal Sociology: A Casual Introduction to Sociological Thinking (1963)