Monitor 7’s & original packaging?

So I picked up another pair of 7’s today, don't tell my wife... 7B's with Peerless!! The ad for them had me a little confused as they were white on the outside. I asked the seller if he painted them and he said that they'd been white all the time he'd had them. I got them home and started digging in. Found that the white was actually just a vinyl covering. I peeled it away and lo and behold, perfect original finish! Hardly a blemish anywhere. A few little dings, but overall, these things look (and sound) like they're brand new! It was like unwrapping a Christmas present! Drivers say 1983 on them, everything's is near mint condition! I'm so stoked!

This leads me to my question, does anybody know, did these ship originally with the white vinyl on them for protection? Sure seems suspicious. ...to whoever did it so many years ago, bless your heart!

dj242khnuiw2.jpg
l03au7e2u08n.jpg
9rvo18sossxz.jpg
xpyxt9r5eyub.jpg
36bg90c0ej22.jpg
Current Collection: Monitor 4a (Peerless), Monitor 5B (Peerless), Modified Monitor 7b (Peerless), RTA15TL (SL3000), SDA CRS+ (194’s), SDA SRS 2.3TL, R100's, R200’s, R300 🤩
Pairs that have passed through: Monitor 4b (Peerless), Monitor 5a (Peerless), Monitor 5b (SL1000), Monitor 5b (SL2000) (3x pair), Monitor 7b (Peerless), Modified Monitor 7c’s (194’s), Monitor 10a (Peerless), Monitor 10b (5x pair), RTA8, RTA8TL, RTA 11T, RTA12c (194's), SDA CRS, SDA 2 (2x pair), SDA 2a, SDA 2b, SDA 1b, SDA 1c, SDA SRS 2 (2x pair), SDA SRS 3.1TL (198’s) (2x pair)...and more to come, it’s a sickness.

Comments

• MrBuhl
    MrBuhl Posts: 2,419
    Jelly! Party of me - those are beauts - congrats!!
    VA HT HK AVR20II, Sony S9000ES CD/DVD/SACD, Polk Audio RC80i / Polk Audio CSi3, 60" Panasonic Plasma, Nordost / Signal Cable A2 / Wireworld / Pangea / Magic Power
    VA 2 Channel Focal Electra 926 speakers, Pass Labs X150.5 Amp, Eastern Electric MiniMax Preamp (Tutay mods), Eastern Electric Minimax CDP (Scott Nixon mods), Music Hall mmf 5.1 Turntable, Parks Audio Budgie Phono Pre , Audioengine B1 streamer, MIT S3 IC's / MIT Shotgun S3 Speaker Cables / PS Audio power cables
    Noggin Schiit Valhalla, Pangea, Phillips Fidelio X1, Polk UF8000

Polk SDA1c modded
    Polk CRS+ 4.1TL modded (need veneer)
    Polk SDA2BTL (fully modded)
    A/L 1000VA Dreadnought Canare 4s11 SDA cable
    SACD Marantz DV8300
    Sony S9000ES CD/DVD/SACD
    Yamaha YP-D6
    Soundcraftsmen PCR800
    Audible Illusions L1 Preamp
    Vincent MFA based Cocci Tube Preamp
    Pho-700 Phono Pre
    Signal Cable Silver Resolution IC's

• motorhead43026
    motorhead43026 Posts: 3,892
    White is the sign of virginity. You get to pop the cherry, congrats.
    2 channel: Anthem 225 Integrated amp; Parasound Ztuner; TechnicsTT SL1350; Vincent PHO-8 phono pre; Marantz CD6005 spinner; Polk SDA2BTL's; LAT International speaker cables, ZU Mission IC's and power cables all into a PS Audio Dectet Power center.

Other; M10 series II, M7C's, Hafler XL600 amp, RB-980BX, Parasound HCA-1500 amp , P5 preamp, all in storage. All vintage Polk have had crossover rebuilds and tweeter upgrades.

The best way to predict the future is to invent it.

It is imperative that we recognize that an opinion is not a fact.

Imagine making politics your entire personality.
  • aprazer402
    aprazer402 Posts: 3,096
    Very nice indeed. They did not ship with a vinyl protective coating, for whatever reason it was added later. It did seem to protect them. Do they have one or two fuses on the back? I would guess one fuse for tweeter. Congrats! These sound very good, I have two pair of 7's w/Peerless.
  • JayMX
    JayMX Posts: 435
    Single fuse. Good stuff! :)
    Current Collection: Monitor 4a (Peerless), Monitor 5B (Peerless), Modified Monitor 7b (Peerless), RTA15TL (SL3000), SDA CRS+ (194’s), SDA SRS 2.3TL, R100's, R200’s, R300 🤩
    Pairs that have passed through: Monitor 4b (Peerless), Monitor 5a (Peerless), Monitor 5b (SL1000), Monitor 5b (SL2000) (3x pair), Monitor 7b (Peerless), Modified Monitor 7c’s (194’s), Monitor 10a (Peerless), Monitor 10b (5x pair), RTA8, RTA8TL, RTA 11T, RTA12c (194's), SDA CRS, SDA 2 (2x pair), SDA 2a, SDA 2b, SDA 1b, SDA 1c, SDA SRS 2 (2x pair), SDA SRS 3.1TL (198’s) (2x pair)...and more to come, it’s a sickness.
  • lawdogg
    lawdogg Posts: 450
    Hmm. I've heard that white strikes more of panic to the soul than that redness which affrights in blood.

Congrats on the score!!!
    <3 my 3.1TLs

I will fix your shifted magnets for free. :)
  • Very nice score! funny I picked up a pair of 7b peerless in great 9 of 10 condition last year. However the vinyl had many coats of sticky "protectant" needless to say no fun to clean :#
    Yamaha RXA1030, Yamaha CD-S2100, Yamaha AS-2200, Bluesound node 2i
    Polk SDA2btl highly modded
    Polk SDA 1C modded
    Polk CS350 LS x2
    Kimber 8TC
    Sony 55" Bravia
    Wish list SVS sub

• motorhead43026
    motorhead43026 Posts: 3,892
    ^^Hey Randy, my 7C's are like sticky and still are. What did you use to clean up? I was thinking it was the vinyl deteriorating in some fashion, although it looks fine.
    2 channel: Anthem 225 Integrated amp; Parasound Ztuner; TechnicsTT SL1350; Vincent PHO-8 phono pre; Marantz CD6005 spinner; Polk SDA2BTL's; LAT International speaker cables, ZU Mission IC's and power cables all into a PS Audio Dectet Power center.

Other; M10 series II, M7C's, Hafler XL600 amp, RB-980BX, Parasound HCA-1500 amp , P5 preamp, all in storage. All vintage Polk have had crossover rebuilds and tweeter upgrades.

The best way to predict the future is to invent it.

It is imperative that we recognize that an opinion is not a fact.

Imagine making politics your entire personality.
  • JayMX
    JayMX Posts: 435
    I used "goo gone" and a shop towel, cleaned up the adhesive and left a lovely citrus scent!
  • kevinko
    kevinko Posts: 165
    That cream color looked funky. Could actually match a vintage setup quite well if done right.
  • RandyCroissant
    RandyCroissant Posts: 475
    edited July 2017
    I used goo gone as well, That worked but took awhile to get them clean.
    Polk SDA 1C modded
    Polk CS350 LS x2
    Kimber 8TC
    Sony 55" Bravia
    Wish list SVS sub

• F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,782
    You can use paint thinner to remove sticky stuff. It will not harm wood veneer or vinyl.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,782
    ^^Hey Randy, my 7C's are like sticky and still are. What did you use to clean up? I was thinking it was the vinyl deteriorating in some fashion, although it looks fine.

That's likely because some dope used wood furniture products on the vinyl.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• RandyCroissant
    RandyCroissant Posts: 475
    edited July 2017
    F1nut wrote: »

That's likely because some dope used wood furniture products on the vinyl.

Yes!! Many years worth I'm sure
    Polk SDA 1C modded
    Polk CS350 LS x2
    Kimber 8TC
    Sony 55" Bravia
    Wish list SVS sub