Need an S-VHS VCR

Options
I have about 20 homemade videos (graduations, weddings, etc) that I need to transfer to my NAS. Hence, I need an S-VHS VCR with an S-video output - please PM or post what you have and what you would like to get for it.

Thanks!

Comments

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 10,716
    Options
    I'll check when I get home...
  • mhardy6647
    mhardy6647 Posts: 33,049
    Options
    Must be some here, too -- where is the OP located in space? ;)
  • DollarDave
    DollarDave Posts: 2,575
    Options
    Down near Houston in Katy 77494
  • mhardy6647
    edited July 2017
    Options
    I have an uncle who used to live in Katy :)

If redtednugent can't come up with one, y'all let me know & I'll see if there's one downstairs that is working properly. If so, and if you still need one, it's yours for the cost of shipping (USPS). I know there're some S-VHS cables downstairs, too, so I am pretty darned sure I can provide one of those if needed.
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    how about a
    Toshiba DVD/Video Cassette Recorder SD-V296 ?
    I can't test the s-vid but the VCR side seems to be working fine.
    f6i4jyyznns6.jpg
  • DollarDave
    edited July 2017
    Options
    I'll have to pass on the Toshiba as it only outputs VHS to the rca composite. It outputs dvd to the s-video output.

Thank you for the very generous offer.

Mark, whatcha got?
  • mhardy6647
    Options
    Will have to scurry downstairs & see... :)
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,805
    edited July 2017
    Options
    I have a Mitsubishi HS-U781with remote, manual, original packing material and carton. It hasn't been used in a very long time, but I'm pretty sure it was working. Yours for the shipping cost.

Ha, I even have the original receipt, $498.75.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• rooftop59
    rooftop59 Posts: 7,981
    Options
    F1nut wrote: »
    I have a Mitsubishi HS-U781with remote, manual, original packing material and carton. It hasn't been used in a very long time, but I'm pretty sure it was working. Yours for the shipping cost.

Dayum! That's the price of the oppo bdp-105!!! What's the year Jesse? That might even be the price of the nicer 205 lol...
    Living Room 2.2: Usher BE-718 "tiny dancers"; Dual DIY Dayton audio RSS210HF-4 Subs with Dayton SPA-250 amps; Arcam SA30; Musical Fidelity A308; Sony UBP-x1000es; Squeezebox Touch with Bolder Power Supply
    Game Room 5.1.4:
    Denon AVR-X4200w; Sony UBP-x700; Definitive Technology Power Monitor 900 mains, CLR-3000 center, StudioMonitor 350 surrounds, ProMonitor 800 atmos x4; Sub - Monoprice Monolith 15in THX Ultra

Bedroom 2.1
    Cambridge Azur 551r; Polk RT25i; ACI Titan Subwoofer
  • pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,585
    Options
    What a pack rat Mr. JV
    LOL
  • DollarDave
    Options

This is a great vcr! I'll pm you for arrangements.

• mhardy6647
    edited July 2017
    Options
    I have scurried.

On the bright side, I came up, surprisingly quickly, with a nice deck: JVC HR-S5000U. It looks like this one (borrowed photo):

yq4n4xyhs8b9.jpg

It's a pretty serious piece of hardware, it appears -- one of those(Super) VHS HiFi Audio/Video VCR decks with switchable, variable audio input (record) level rather than (just) auto-level for recording audio. Such decks actually make pretty good analog audio players (but that's another story altogether).

So -- the good news, it works. In other words, I put a tape into it, and it played, rewound, FF'd and the the real-time counter counted... that sort of thing. I didn't actually hook it to a TV, but, mechanically, it works. It even has -- astonishingly -- what appears to be the correct JVC remote control with it. I didn't try the remote (yet), though.

The less good news: there is something amiss with the tape loading mechanism. It does work, but the fit of the tape is physically very tight on one side (left) -- too tight for the tape to eject without, shall we say, intervention. A screwdriver and some Vanilla-unfriendly words were involved. The tape and deck did survive unscathed, though.

I think that the little metal frame is bent, although it doesn't really look or feel bent. I spent a little quality time, umm, fingering the receiver frame -- and it's actually better (IOW it will actually eject the tape now)... but something's not right. The actual loading of the tape from the VHS cassette around the heads &c. works as it should; it's handling the tape properly.

Now, if this hulk of a VHS machine is of any potential interest to you, I'll do two things (tomorrow): try it on an actual TV to see if the video quality is OK and invest a little more effort into sussing out the tape cassette I/O "issue".

Otherwise, it'll join its black-cased brethren back underneath other stuff downstairs.
  • DollarDave
    Options
    That is a very nice vcr, Mark, I'm gonna grab the one from Jessie, but really appreciate all the generous offers!
  • mhardy6647
    Options
    OK, cool!
    Glad you snagged one.
    This one has -- potential but it's definitely "a wing and a prayer" kind of deck as it sits :/
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,805
    edited July 2017
    Options
    rooftop59 wrote: »

Dayum! That's the price of the oppo bdp-105!!! What's the year Jesse? That might even be the price of the nicer 205 lol...

1998 and it was TOTL at the time.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• [Deleted User]
    Options
    I was afraid of that. :/
    Alls well that ends well however ;)
    DollarDave wrote: »
    I'll have to pass on the Toshiba as it only outputs VHS to the rca composite. It outputs dvd to the s-video output.

Thank you for the very generous offer.

Mark, whatcha got?

• mhardy6647
    Options
    Derp. I totally missed Jesse's reply whilst I was scurrying. Sorry! :/
  • ken brydson
    ken brydson Posts: 8,650
    Options
    My first CD player was like 600 bucks...Fun times
  • pitdogg2
    Options
    I used to use one of those Mark to record music onto vhs. At a slower speed you could rack up some tunes to get you through the night
  • mhardy6647
    edited July 2017
    Options
    We have an obscene ;) amount of Christmas/winter "holiday" music recorded on VHS HiFi tapes! They sound great even at "LP" speed: 8 hours of (very) good quality audio on a T-160 tape! :)

9688750862_02fdc01d2a_b.jpgholidaydubbing121209 by Mark Hardy, on Flickr

(That's a Zenith VHS HiFi Video/Audio recorder that we bought new in the early, maybe mid-1980s; it is still going strong with zillions of hours of use on it. Note that the tape goes in sideways; folks have seen it and asked if it was an 8-track deck!)
  • pitdogg2
    edited July 2017
    Options
    Yea back in my house party days i called it my poor mans R2R ;)
    Nothing to skip nothing to change
  • msg
    msg Posts: 9,464
    Options
    Good ole VHS. Also reminds me that 4:3 aspect is so strange to me now. I remember at the time thinking that letterbox edition films were undesirable to me at first. Now it's the side bars that feel odd and wasteful and constraining. Sheeze.Dahm.Crazy.
    I disabled signatures.
  • EndersShadow
    EndersShadow Posts: 17,534
    edited July 2017
    Options

Ok.... but did you add dynamat and upgrade the caps and resistors.... if not your slacking Mr @F1nut
    "....not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted." William Bruce Cameron, Informal Sociology: A Casual Introduction to Sociological Thinking (1963)
  • DollarDave
    Options

Ok.... but did you add dynamat and upgrade the caps and resistors.... if not your slacking Mr @F1nut

If he didn't add dynamat, I will. I hate to even imagine transferring wedding and graduation videos without it.
  • EndersShadow
    EndersShadow Posts: 17,534
    Options

If he didn't add dynamat, I will. I hate to even imagine transferring wedding and graduation videos without it.

Good..... I shudder to even THINK about how bad the picture looks as well as the sound quality without dynamat :smile::wink::grin::mrgreen:
    "....not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted." William Bruce Cameron, Informal Sociology: A Casual Introduction to Sociological Thinking (1963)
  • mhardy6647
    Options

Good..... I shudder to even THINK about how bad the picture looks as well as the sound quality without dynamat :smile::wink::grin::mrgreen:

.... and that grey hockey tape stuff.
  • pitdogg2
    Options
  • mhardy6647
    Options
    oh, yeah, that too.
    Fortunately, it's much easier to get than is black paint.
  • mhardy6647
    Options

It's a good thing I read this twice -- first time through, I thought it said "transferring welding and graduation videos..." :neutral:
  • DollarDave
    edited July 2017
    Options
    Got the VCR and it is basically brand new! Packaged just like it came off the shelf with all original padding, packaging, manual, and even remote control.

What a great gift! Kudos to F1Nut (Jesse)!

And, thanks to all for their generous offers.

Dave