Learning to listen to SDA

I have been a music fan all of my life. Up until recently, that has meant listening to two point sources screaming in a room or a sub and satellite system where all output is split and garbled back together. Then I bought my first decent set of electronics and a pair of SDA-1A. What a difference. Enveloping sound, clarity and detail. I soon decided that a pair of SDA-SRS were needed. I was right. I am still learning how to listen to music. Instead of hearing two speakers, I now hear a "sound stage". Eyes closed or dark room works best for me. My eyes show me two speakers, but my ears hear a wide field of sound and it can be hard to reconcile the difference mentally. Remove the visual and it is easy to resolve the presentation. I generally locate the drum kit and lead singer first. They are typically at center stage. From there it is easier for me to locate the rest of the instruments/performers. Having owned my system for a while and critically listening more, I have learned to hear the depth of a performance. What I once perceived as sound coming from 90 degrees from the side has now become a definition of the front of the performance as well as the edge. My most enlightening recording has been Pink Floyd's Wish You Were Here. The snare drum is located in the exact same spot throughout the recording and allows me to build the rest of the stage from there. There are moving guitarists (wish you were here- acoustic guitar moves from in front of the drums to right front stage about mid way through) and harmony singers that form a line across the stage (shine on you crazy diamond). Plus it's a great album. In more time with these monsters, I think that my listening skills will improve more. I have gone from Hearing to listening (big difference). What a ride. I wish I knew this 30 years ago.
Schiit Freya+, Krell KAV-250a, R-Pi network streamer, 8Tb NAS, Thorens TD-145 MKIII with Ortofon 2M red, Polk: Monitor-10B, SDA-1A, SDA-SRS

Comments

• How cool. I went through the same thing when I got my Conrad Johnson Synthesis speakers in the early 90's. Now I have more than a dozen fine pairs of speakers, including SDA II (2nd gen), Monitor 10, and Monitor 2 4 series. I learn something new every time I listen.

Well written. You made me play Wish You were Here and then MoFi's Dark Side of the Moon.

Thank you.
  • xschop
    xschop Posts: 4,635
    The SDAs leave you pondering your next selection and anticipating the best from the oldest recordings...
    Gabor Szabo's Dreams sounds like it was recorded in the same room. Before on 2-chan it lacked the same depth.
    Firing up some classic Jiro Inagaki now.... Bliss.
    Don't take experimental gene therapies from known eugenicists.
  • codycatalist
    codycatalist Posts: 2,662
    Try "You make loving fun" by Fleetwood Mac. That was always one of my favorites with image placement and sound stage.

Like you though I am not used to listening to music that is projected as wide as the SDAs do. It is taking me time to wrap my head around it...like you I enjoy listening with the lights off or low and my eyes closed.
    Just a dude doing dude-ly things

"Temptation is the manifestation of desire which equals necessity." - Mikey081057
    " I have always had a champange taste with a beer budget" - Rick88
    "Just because the thread is getting views don't mean much .. I like a good train wreck doesn't mean i want to be in one..." - pitdogg2
    "Those that don't know, don't know that they don't know." - heiney9
    "Audiophiles are the male equivalent of cat ladies." - Audiokarma Member
  • Gerres26
    Gerres26 Posts: 859
    I agree with all of this. I just recently moved my system from a much undersized room to the family room which isnt huge but allows the SDA's a little more room to breath. My 1.2tls are now along a wall thats about 23 feet. It made a huge difference in the soundstage as before i only had a 12 foot wall for them to reside. I was listening to a Hendrix track the other day and it seemed that jimi was in the left corner of the room singing. It kind of gives you chills the first time you experience it. I lost my dedicated listening room for now to my son's toys but i gained a much better listening environment for the big Polks so i can't complain.