Woodworking Guys - Router Recommendation?

msg
msg Posts: 9,308
Hey guys,
I'm looking for a router. Never used one, but have a few tasks where I could use one now, like a veneering project on some 11Ts I'm reworking, and for finishing touches on some shelving/rack ideas I'm kicking around.

I prefer to buy quality tools for stuff like this where accuracy and clean finish is a requirement. Doesn't need to be super top end, but good, sturdy build quality and practical, useful features are desired. This means I'll probably be skipping the Harbor Freight stuff for this tool.

Looking for information/considerations for the power tool, and also possible upgrades/features that I may want down the road as I gain more experience - something I can get started with now, and grow into, and not finding myself wanting to replace it in short order.

Any suggestions?

Thanks in advance.
I disabled signatures.

Comments

• Malbec
    Malbec Posts: 548
    Look at the Porter Cable 690 series.
    The Dewalt 611 is a bit smaller and better suited for laminate work more so than the PC. If you're not going to be plowing out dados and just doing edge profiles on boards the Dewalt may be the better option.
    If you have money to burn, look at the Festool system. I have used all three, you can't go wrong with any of them.
  • halen
    halen Posts: 675
    Festool may be an option. I have not used many router brands, but the festool was nice.

• Malbec
    Oh yeah, router bits. Whiteside.
  • lightman1
    lightman1 Posts: 10,776
    One that won't rip your thumb off at 13k RPM should you hit a knot.
  • Nightfall
    Nightfall Posts: 10,042
    Milwaukee everything.

No experience, just biased brand loyalty.
    afterburnt wrote: »
    They didn't speak a word of English, they were from South Carolina.

Village Idiot of Club Polk
  • lightman1
    Nightfall wrote: »
    Milwaukee everything.

No experience, just biased brand loyalty.
    Experience here....just a plain old 3/8 hole shooter. I've had her for ~25 years. The only repair I've had to do was replace the cord and brushes.....and the left latch on the "metal" storage case sticks at times.
  • pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,477
    I bought a really nice Craftsman at the pawn shop about 7yrs ago looked brand new. I've used the snot out of it i have no complaints for the 25$ i spent.
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,708
    edited July 2017
    Porter Cable 691. The D handle comes in very handy. Also agree with Malbec that Whiteside makes excellent bits.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• mrloren
    mrloren Posts: 2,454
    Porter Cable is about it for a fixed base router. Plunge router DeWalt and Bosch are good.

I have two Harbor Freight 2HP fixed base routers. Good routers for the price. One is on my router table and the other is for free hand. My plunge router is a Black & Decker 1&3/4 HP. not a bad router for the $35 I paid for it at close out.

Whiteside bits, Bouch and Freud bits are good too. One of the local Lowes had Marples bits that are fantastic. It was just a trial run by Marples but if you can find them great. I picked some up when they closed them out. Paid like $6 a bit. Try to stay away from the bit sets, most of these are cheap or you are going to be buying ones you will never use in the set. Also try to get 1/2" shank, most of the box stores only sell 1/4" shank bits. rockler has a nice selection of every bit you will ever want.

You think this board can spend money on audio,,,, I can drain you account on woodworking tools :)

My little workshop when the weather is nice.

8hfmhp8gaden.jpg

And when the weather goes a little bad I put it all in it's nice home and enjoy a good flick
    1yjtgtdy572j.jpg

When I was a kid my parents told me to turn it down. Now I'm an adult and my kids tell me to turn it down.
    Family Room:LG QNED80 75", Onkyo RZ50 Emotiva XPA3 GEN3 Oppo BDP-93,Sony UBP-X800BM. Main: Polk LsiM 705Center: Polk LSiM 704CFront High/Rear High In-Ceiling Polk 80F/X RT Surrounds: Polk S15 Sub: HSU VTF3-MK5
    Bed Room; Marantz SR5010, BDP-S270Main: Polk Signature S20Center: Polk Signature S35Rear: Polk R15 Sub: SVS SB2000
    Working Warehouse; Yamaha A-S301, Sony DVP-NS3100ES for disc Plok TSX550T SVS PB2000 Mini tower PC with 400GB of music
  • msg
    Damn, Mr. Miyagi, nice!
    3zud319vyzh7.jpg
    I disabled signatures.
  • msg
    Great info here to get me started, guys, thanks a lot. I'll get to reading with these recommendations in mind.

Hopefully this won't (will?) be the beginning of another obsession...
    I disabled signatures.
  • lightman1
    F1nut wrote: »
    Porter Cable 691. The D handle comes in very handy. Also agree with Malbec that Whiteside makes excellent bits.

Pusswhack.....
  • mrloren
    Whichever router you get just please don't skimp on bits.

When you change a bit make sure it's unplugged.. triple check, a 13k RPM razor sharp bit will do more damage than most people think.
    When I was a kid my parents told me to turn it down. Now I'm an adult and my kids tell me to turn it down.
    Family Room:LG QNED80 75", Onkyo RZ50 Emotiva XPA3 GEN3 Oppo BDP-93,Sony UBP-X800BM. Main: Polk LsiM 705Center: Polk LSiM 704CFront High/Rear High In-Ceiling Polk 80F/X RT Surrounds: Polk S15 Sub: HSU VTF3-MK5
    Bed Room; Marantz SR5010, BDP-S270Main: Polk Signature S20Center: Polk Signature S35Rear: Polk R15 Sub: SVS SB2000
    Working Warehouse; Yamaha A-S301, Sony DVP-NS3100ES for disc Plok TSX550T SVS PB2000 Mini tower PC with 400GB of music
  • Malbec

msg wrote: »

Don't think of it as an obsession but rather a progression. Remain in this constant state of denial and you'll live happily ever after. :D

mumrah3acbur.jpg

Plus a couple out on loan thru the lending library.

I've had more close calls with a handheld router than any other piece of woodworking equipment or machinery, due to complacency on my part.

• mrloren
    Malbec wrote: »

msg wrote: »

Don't think of it as an obsession but rather a progression. Remain in this constant state of denial and you'll live happily ever after. :D

mumrah3acbur.jpg

Plus a couple out on loan thru the lending library.

I've had more close calls with a handheld router than any other piece of woodworking equipment or machinery, due to complacency on my part.

nice
  • boston1450
    boston1450 Posts: 7,438
    I use a chainsaw. Works great :) . good luck on your project
    Randy/Maine
  • pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,477
    Well hello Randy I've seen some very nice stuff made with a chain saw.
  • boston1450
    boston1450 Posts: 7,438
    Me too. There is a lady local up here in Maine that can make U a twin
    Randy/Maine
  • CoolJazz
    CoolJazz Posts: 569
    I've made a ton of circle cutouts with a Bosch 1619EVS. I love that thing a little more every time I use it. It's powerful, yet has the finesse of the softstart, I just love it. I have several others but it's just so sweet to use!

They've stopped producing it. Don't know what's like it now...

CJ
    A so called science type proudly says... "I do realize that I would fool myself all the time, about listening conclusions and many other observations, if I did listen before buying. That’s why I don’t, I bought all of my current gear based on technical parameters alone, such as specs and measurements."
  • Absolute_Zero
    Absolute_Zero Posts: 72
    edited July 2017
    I have Festool, Porter Cable, and Hitachi. For the money the Hitachi KMV 12VC for $160 with both a fixed and plunge base, collets for either bit size etc...

Easily runs with my $450 Festool until I start using molding bits.