Binding Post on new Polk S35 Centre Channel Speaker Broke?

Hi all,

I've only had my S35 Channel Speaker for a couple of months and one of the speaker binding posts already snapped!

It seems that the speaker wire hole is drilled much too large and there is too little metal supporting the post, and hence it broke.

Is this common with Polk Speaker terminals - or at least the S-series?

Comments

• txcoastal1
    txcoastal1 Posts: 13,124
    What gauge were you using?
    2-channel: Modwright KWI-200 Integrated, Dynaudio C1-II Signatures
    Desktop rig: LSi7, Polk 110sub, Dayens Ampino amp, W4S DAC/pre, Sonos, JRiver
    Gear on standby: Melody 101 tube pre, Unison Research Simply Italy Integrated
    Gone to new homes: (Matt Polk's)Threshold Stasis SA12e monoblocks, Pass XA30.5 amp, Usher MD2 speakers, Dynaudio C4 platinum speakers, Modwright LS100 (voltz), Simaudio 780D DAC

erat interfectorem cesar et **** dictatorem dicere a
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,707
    PFB part deux
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• tonyb
    tonyb Posts: 32,902
    coolspot wrote: »
    Hi all,

I've only had my S35 Channel Speaker for a couple of months and one of the speaker binding posts already snapped!

It seems that the speaker wire hole is drilled much too large and there is too little metal supporting the post, and hence it broke.

Is this common with Polk Speaker terminals - or at least the S-series?

Call Polks CS....They should get you squared away.

But....just for our sense of curiosity, maybe elaborate some on how this happened as it's not a normal occurrence for any brand.
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Acoustic zen Satori speaker cables
    Acoustic zen Matrix 2 IC's
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's
    Audio metallurgy ga-o digital cable

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • motorhead43026
    motorhead43026 Posts: 3,892
    There is no inherent problem with the S series binding posts. Do you adhere to the "tighten until it turns freely, then tighten I/2 turn more" tightening process?
    2 channel: Anthem 225 Integrated amp; Parasound Ztuner; TechnicsTT SL1350; Vincent PHO-8 phono pre; Marantz CD6005 spinner; Polk SDA2BTL's; LAT International speaker cables, ZU Mission IC's and power cables all into a PS Audio Dectet Power center.

Other; M10 series II, M7C's, Hafler XL600 amp, RB-980BX, Parasound HCA-1500 amp , P5 preamp, all in storage. All vintage Polk have had crossover rebuilds and tweeter upgrades.

The best way to predict the future is to invent it.

It is imperative that we recognize that an opinion is not a fact.

Imagine making politics your entire personality.
  • coolspot
    coolspot Posts: 5
    edited July 2017
    txcoastal1 wrote: »
    What gauge were you using?

I was using 14 gauge speaker wire. The speaker was taken out of the box for about a week, and only used for a couple hours for a test (still building my home theater).

Yes, I didn't turn the post too hard - about 1/2 turn just to keep the speaker wire in place. When I permanently install the speaker, I'll be using banana terminals.

I went to pack up the speaker yesterday night and found the negative terminal snapped clean.

I've never had any speaker terminals break like this before hence my surprise.

Perhaps it was a defect - I called Polk Support and they're sending me the whole crossover assembly - hopefully it won't be too difficult to replace.
  • motorhead43026
    motorhead43026 Posts: 3,892
    Good customer service from Polk.
    2 channel: Anthem 225 Integrated amp; Parasound Ztuner; TechnicsTT SL1350; Vincent PHO-8 phono pre; Marantz CD6005 spinner; Polk SDA2BTL's; LAT International speaker cables, ZU Mission IC's and power cables all into a PS Audio Dectet Power center.

Other; M10 series II, M7C's, Hafler XL600 amp, RB-980BX, Parasound HCA-1500 amp , P5 preamp, all in storage. All vintage Polk have had crossover rebuilds and tweeter upgrades.

The best way to predict the future is to invent it.

It is imperative that we recognize that an opinion is not a fact.

Imagine making politics your entire personality.
  • coolspot
    coolspot Posts: 5
    Good customer service from Polk.

Yes, I called Polk Customer Service this morning and they're shipping me a replacement crossover unit. Hopefully I don't have to swap the whole unit to change out the binding post.

I didn't over tighten either, I was using 14 gauge speaker wire to test the speaker in the interim while I finish up my basement renovations.

I found the speaker terminal snapped clean when I went to pack it up yesterday night. No one else has been in the basement and the unit was unmoved.

In anycase, when I permanently install the unit I'll be using Banana terminals - hopefully that will mitigate any future issues as well.