need 6x8 for my ranger

nadams
nadams Posts: 5,877
edited April 2004 in Car Audio & Electronics
I'm looking to replace the front speakers in my '94 ranger. They're 6x8s, which are hard to find. I'm not looking to spend more than 50 or $60. Right now, I'm looking at the Polk EX357, which at 5x7s. I think I could probably make them fit, if I tried hard enough. However, I'm also going to try to fit 6x9s (if I can find one laying around somewhere), as they are much more common, and tend to be cheaper.

Does Polk make a 6x8, and if so, how much is it? Has anyone had experience installing speakers in Rangers, and if so, what size did you use? THanks,

nadams
Ludicrous gibs!
Post edited by nadams on

Comments

• exalted512
    exalted512 Posts: 10,735
    edited April 2004
    pretty sure polk doesnt make a 6x8
    check out crutchfield...they have a huge selection...
    then go buy them from sounddomain cuz theyre cheaper...lol
    -Cody
    Music is like candy, you have to get rid of the rappers to enjoy it
  • Jstas
    Jstas Posts: 14,804
    edited April 2004
    What the hell are you talking about? There is an MMC570 and a db570 and either one should fit fine in a Ranger with the typical Ford 5x7/6x8 inch openings
    Expert Moron Extraordinaire

You're just jealous 'cause the voices don't talk to you!
  • PoweredByDodge
    PoweredByDodge Posts: 4,185
    edited April 2004
    tisk tisk tisk cody --- you failed to remember that 5x7's are now usually 5x7 / 6x8 speakers... rather than manufacturer's wasting money by making both a 5x7 and a 6x8 speaker, they just make a 5x7 with an extra wide lip around it and then include a trim ring to use as a spacer for the 6x8 openings.

thou hath shamed the forum... go sit in the corner and recite, "a 5x7 is a 6x8 is a stupid ford design... but polk doth maketh speakes for them anyway."

on that note - while i'm bashing ford, i'll include this equal opportunity bashing message -- my stupid **** dodge has body panels that are about as thick as tin foil... and the hood hinges are the cheapest things i've ever seen in my life... talk about crappy product quality.
    The Artist formerly known as PoweredByDodge
  • Jstas
    edited April 2004
    Originally posted by PoweredByDodge
    tisk tisk tisk cody --- you failed to remember that 5x7's are now usually 5x7 / 6x8 speakers... rather than manufacturer's wasting money by making both a 5x7 and a 6x8 speaker, they just make a 5x7 with an extra wide lip around it and then include a trim ring to use as a spacer for the 6x8 openings.

thou hath shamed the forum... go sit in the corner and recite, "a 5x7 is a 6x8 is a stupid ford design... but polk doth maketh speakes for them anyway."

on that note - while i'm bashing ford, i'll include this equal opportunity bashing message -- my stupid **** dodge has body panels that are about as thick as tin foil... and the hood hinges are the cheapest things i've ever seen in my life... talk about crappy product quality.

Does it have the Interior by Samsonite?

• nadams
    edited April 2004
    Thanks, guys... I'll check 'em out.
    Ludicrous gibs!
  • exalted512
    edited April 2004
    well...
    GMs are very easy to break into
    in addition, once inside my truck, i can get away with my 550 dollar radio in less than 10 seconds...literally
    -Cody
  • neomagus00
    neomagus00 Posts: 3,899
    edited April 2004
    thats kinda scary... isnt there a better way to secure it?
    It's not good, very fundamentally simply not good. - geolemon

"Its not good enough until we have real-time fearmongering. I want my fear mongered as it happens." - Shizelbs
  • exalted512
    edited April 2004
    not really
    just take off the face plate...
    -Cody
  • exalted512
    edited April 2004
    oo...and pray...
    my brother's wife's sister(...yeah, i know...long connection) has gotten her radio stolen 3 times in the last month
    yes, 3 times in the last month
    thats HORRIBLE
    but she leves the face plate on...youd think youd learn after the first time?
    its the same body style as mine, but its like a 89-92
    -Cody
  • nadams
    edited April 2004
    I think I'm interested in the db570. Crutchfield is selling the db series for 1/2 price when you buy one regularly priced pair, so I think i may just spring for two pair and get 'em all told for around $150. Plus I get the nifty adapters so I don't have to splice anything...

Lets hope my door panels don't start rattling now...
    Ludicrous gibs!
  • neomagus00
    edited April 2004
    jeez, that sux.

hmm, on the rattling. when i put my windows all the way down then crank it up, the windows rattle, like they're being hit by the magnet on the mm6 or something. is there a problem with putting a strip of foam on the back of the magnet so this doesn't happen? or am i misdiagnosing the problem? cause my door mirrors shake when it's turned up. any ideas?

"Its not good enough until we have real-time fearmongering. I want my fear mongered as it happens." - Shizelbs
  • PoweredByDodge
    edited April 2004
    samsonite? i dont get it ? fill me in dude :)
  • nadams
    edited April 2004
    neomagus- what you're probably hearing is the windows rattling in their guides. Try this- close your door (give it a medium slam) with your window up, and then do the same with the window down? Hear any rattling? If so, then that's probably what it is. Not so much the windows hitting the magnets as them just being loose because there's nothing down in the doors to support them. Wheras when they're up in the channel in the door, they have all the weather stripping to keep them from rattling.

Hope that was clear....
    Ludicrous gibs!
  • neomagus00
    edited April 2004
    samsonite like the luggage company??

nadams - yep, that's exactly what happens. slam the door, and i get this incredibly annoying rattle. makes the car sound cheap, which i hate. any way to make it go away?

• exalted512
    edited April 2004
    second skin might cover it up...
    -Cody
  • neomagus00
    edited April 2004
    what are we covering?

• exalted512
    edited April 2004
    put it on the plastic panel and on the metal
    -Cody
  • neomagus00
    edited April 2004
    im totally lost... can u explain in a little more detail?

• Jstas
    edited April 2004
    Samsonite is a luggae company. Back in the 60's, 70's and early 80's they ran a series of ad campaigns that pitted a gorilla against a piece of Samsonite luggage to try and break the luggage.

When my truck broke and I took it in for service, they gave me a new Dodge Ram 1500 with a HEMI for a rental. They had swapped the 03 F150 SuperCrew with the Dodge. After driving both of them, I prefer the Ford. It was more refined and comfortable. Anyway, the biggest thing that bugged me about the Dodge was the interior panels and upholstery. The seats reminded me of velvet drapes and the plastic bits had the look, feel and texture of the same plastic that Samsonite used to use on the plastic chell of thier hard case luggage. When I was asked about how I liked the Dodge, I replied "I was wondering if I should have gotten my gorilla!" Only one of the rental guys got it and he snickered and said "Yeah, it does look like luggage on the inside, doesn't it?"

About the rattling. It's the window in the track. The only other way you are going to have rattling is if the speaker wires are rattling against the inside of the door panels or if plastic clips/tabs that hold the interior door panel on to the door itself have broken off and are rattling around inside the door.

You could have road debris like small pebbles or even dead bugs but they wouldn't be that noticable over road noise and stereos.

One way you can stop it from rattling is to line teh endes of the window glass with felt strips so that they fit more snugly in the window track. Probaly with that is that they may not be easy to move up and down and you could end up prematurly burning out your window motors. Beyond that, there isn't much you can do about it in most cases. You may want to check your window weather stripping though. It may be deteriorated to a point where it no longer holds the window steady. If so, you can replace that and it should reduce if not stop the rattling.

• PoweredByDodge
    edited April 2004
    ya the inertior does kinda look like luggage -- i wish it was teh smoke grey interior instead of the tan -- the tan looks cheap.
  • exalted512
    edited April 2004
    second skin is the equivalent of dynamat, but better and cheaper
    if you put some on your door in strategic places it might help kill your rattle
    -Cody