Need help placing 706 center speaker

w2d3sgfwk6c1.jpg
9pzqqjdrb91k.jpg

I just replaced older, smaller B&@ speakers with two LSIM 707 towers and a 706 center. I am handicapped by high ceilings, a large open family room/kitchen, a niche with an enclosed entertainment center (its back is about 18 inches from the wall) and wife acceptance factor.

I need advice on where to place the center.

1) In the current position, the center and left tower are on top of each other and the sound bleeds together. I've lived with this for a few weeks but think I need to do better. 2) If I put the center inside the cabinet, I distort the sound and could weaken the center because I'd have to cut out most of the support. 3) I could build a shelf between the cabinet and wall and put the center behind the TV but then sound signals are distorted by the TV and its stand. 4) I could move the center speaker to the middle and try to secure the TV on a shelf above it but it would be sitting back quite a ways. 5) I could mount the TV on the wall and pull it way out when watching but my wife hates the idea of long arms extending the TV a couple of feet forward. The entertainment center is too long to just shove all the way into the corner without messing with the sub and the left tower and it cost $2K so I'm not real eager to ditch it.

I posted one straight-on photo and a second with a side view to give you an idea of the niche. Advice is greatly appreciated.

Comments

• tonyb
    tonyb Posts: 32,902
    I don't think any of those options would work well. They make aftermarket stands that would go over the center and then the TV rests on top of that stand. Or they also make stuff that allows you to place the center over the tv on top....again, after market stands.

A third option is going with a smaller center that you can place inside the cabinet or in front of the tv on top of that entertainment center. The signature series has a low profile center, and for HT applications I doubt you'd be able to tell the difference in series.
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Acoustic zen Satori speaker cables
    Acoustic zen Matrix 2 IC's
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's
    Audio metallurgy ga-o digital cable

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • Sptwriter
    Sptwriter Posts: 3
    The Polk Audio customer service rep I spoke with really advised against placing speakers inside a closed cabinet. He said it would create a hollow sound. He didn't like the idea of creating a box to place the TV over the center for the same reason.

I like the idea of finding a more open after-market stand, which I had blanked on. So thank you both for that idea and the link. I'm going to play around with raising the TV about 10 inches and see what it does for the view and if others have ideas, I'm listening still. Thanks!
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,708
    You make or buy an open back shelf with end supports only to put the TV on and the center in.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• vmaxer
    vmaxer Posts: 5,116
    Place it at my house?? B)

I have one but 2 would be nice...
    Pio Elete Pro 520
    Panamax 5400-EX
    Sunfire TGP 5
    Micro Seiki DD-40 - Lyra-Dorian and Denon DL-160
    PS Audio GCPH phono pre
    Sunfire CG 200 X 5
    Sunfire CG Sig 405 X 5
    OPPO BDP-83 SE
    SDA SRS 1.2TL Sonicaps and Mills
    Ctr CS1000p
    Sur - FX1000 x 4
    SUB - SVS PB2-Plus

Workkout room:
    Sony Bravia XBR- 32-Inch 1080p
    Onkyo TX-DS898
    GFA 555
    Yamaha DVD-S1800BL/SACD
    Ft - SDA 1C

Not being used:
    RTi 38's -4
    RT55i's - 2
    RT25i's -2, using other 2 in shop
    LSI 15's
    CSi40
    PSW 404
  • WLDock
    WLDock Posts: 3,073
    2.2 Office Setup | LG 29UB55 21:9 UltraWide | HP Probook 630 G8 | Dell Latitude | Cabasse Stream Amp 100 | Boston Acoustics VS 240 | AUDIORAX Desk Stands | Mirage Omni S8 sub1 | Mirage Omni S8 Sub2
  • txcoastal1
    txcoastal1 Posts: 13,124
    F1nut wrote: »
    You make or buy an open back shelf with end supports only to put the TV on and the center in.
    WLDock wrote: »

^^^^^Raise the TV on a stand, center channel is 80% of your dialog very important
    2-channel: Modwright KWI-200 Integrated, Dynaudio C1-II Signatures
    Desktop rig: LSi7, Polk 110sub, Dayens Ampino amp, W4S DAC/pre, Sonos, JRiver
    Gear on standby: Melody 101 tube pre, Unison Research Simply Italy Integrated
    Gone to new homes: (Matt Polk's)Threshold Stasis SA12e monoblocks, Pass XA30.5 amp, Usher MD2 speakers, Dynaudio C4 platinum speakers, Modwright LS100 (voltz), Simaudio 780D DAC

erat interfectorem cesar et **** dictatorem dicere a
  • Thorton
    Thorton Posts: 1,324
    F1nut wrote: »

+1. Or build one. I don't see many other options from your pictures.
    _____________________________________________________________________________________________
    Ethernet Filter: GigaFOILv4 with Keces P3 LPS
    Source: Roon via ethernet to DAC interface
    DAC: Bricasti M1SE
    Pre/Pro: Marantz AV8805
    Tube Preamp Buffer: Tortuga TPB.V1
    Amp1: Nord One NC1200DM Signature, Amp2: W4S MC-5, AMP3: W4S MMC-7
    Front: Salk SoundScape 8's, Center: Salk SoundScape C7
    Surround: Polk FXIA6, Surround Back: Polk RTIA9, Atmos: Polk 70-RT
    Subs: 2 - Rythmik F25's
    IC & Speaker Cables: Acoustic Zen, Wireworld, Signal Cable
    Power Cables: Acoustic Zen, Wireworld, PS Audio
    Room Treatments: GIK Acoustics
  • txcoastal1
    txcoastal1 Posts: 13,124
    Don't go smaller, you will regret the performance
    2-channel: Modwright KWI-200 Integrated, Dynaudio C1-II Signatures
    Desktop rig: LSi7, Polk 110sub, Dayens Ampino amp, W4S DAC/pre, Sonos, JRiver
    Gear on standby: Melody 101 tube pre, Unison Research Simply Italy Integrated
    Gone to new homes: (Matt Polk's)Threshold Stasis SA12e monoblocks, Pass XA30.5 amp, Usher MD2 speakers, Dynaudio C4 platinum speakers, Modwright LS100 (voltz), Simaudio 780D DAC

erat interfectorem cesar et **** dictatorem dicere a
  • ken brydson
    ken brydson Posts: 8,638
    txcoastal1 wrote: »
    Don't go smaller, you will regret the performance

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kD_xWrhZ8yI
  • WLDock
    edited June 2017
    Yes the 706c is a beast of a center. Don't even think about moving away from that speaker. Overall, I enjoyed it more than the legendary CS1000p! Oh how I miss that speaker for movies. And the CS400i was no slouch either. All are large center units that few aftermarket risers will work with.

If you can't find a prefab one you like just make one. Even one with very little skills or tools can make a sturdy TV riser without too much effort. That is such a large speaker.

Some DIY examples:

http://wardsweb.org/audio/home_theater_images/den060109a.jpg
    http://i1060.photobucket.com/albums/t456/buggsy3/20161214_190629.jpg
    http://www.ikeahackers.net/2011/01/diy-tv-riser.html
    http://www.davidrodgers.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/2015/08/tt2_3x21.jpg?w=640
    http://i190.photobucket.com/albums/z178/mnstanley69/Riser.jpg
    Post edited by WLDock on
    2.2 Office Setup | LG 29UB55 21:9 UltraWide | HP Probook 630 G8 | Dell Latitude | Cabasse Stream Amp 100 | Boston Acoustics VS 240 | AUDIORAX Desk Stands | Mirage Omni S8 sub1 | Mirage Omni S8 Sub2
  • msg
    msg Posts: 9,308
    edited June 2017
    This isn't ideal either, but maybe a short, dual post speaker stand in front of your cabinet? You'd have move it back and forth to open your doors, or remove them or modify hinges for quick release. And maybe find a height/design that doesn't interfere with your component control. It wouldn't be as clean, imho, as the top placement under a TV riser/shelf, which would also be my first choice, as well, unless it puts your TV at an awkward viewing angle. I don't like looking up too much at a TV, personally. To me this is only good if you're laying around on a couch, not sitting upright. Prefer midline at or just a bit above eye level, but not craning.
    I disabled signatures.
  • WLDock
    That's the other thing...will the TV be higher than you like? For me...the worst thing ever are far as height is TV's above high fireplaces.... I hate it! However, my TV stand is 22" high and the center sits on top. The TV is mounted on the wall so that a 9" tall center speaker is below the screen but slightly above the bottom of the TV frame. This works for me and keeps the TV as low as possible and the center as high as possible.

So, if the TV ends up too high for ones taste....the only other (Expensive) option is to find a lower stand.

Something like the Salamander Synergy 237 is 21" tall.
    http://www.salamanderdesigns.com/products/details/6989b52b-5777-eb1f-e527-5125e38f8f81

or something like the BDI Ola 8137 is 19" tall
    http://www.modernessentials.com/BDI-Ola-8137-Home-Theater-Cabinet

or something like the IKEA BESTÅ is 15" tall.
    http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/S99188480/#

Bottom line..... there are options to get the center speaker under the TV and the TV at the 'right' height!
  • Sptwriter
    Sptwriter Posts: 3
    I took the advice of many here and built an open stand with an Ikea hack for $50 -- $10 each for four adjustable legs and $10 for a black shelf. I think it turned out well, and though the TV is now about 10 inches higher, the line of vision might actually be better because we tend to lean back and look up a little in recliners.

The sound is definitely better and yeah it's a beast and I'm loving it. Thanks all!
  • WLDock
    Looks good!

One thing that many do included myself is move the center all the way to the front edge of the shelf to avoid some early reflections. Also, you probably can't do it now but I usually put larger feet in the front of the speaker to aim the speaker upwards towards the ears.
  • mdaudioguy
    mdaudioguy Posts: 5,165
    Hey, that works fine, but if you desire more stability and a cleaner look, I'd mount that TV to the wall with an articulating bracket.
  • mdaudioguy
    mdaudioguy Posts: 5,165
    WLDock wrote: »
    Also, you probably can't do it now but I usually put larger feet in the front of the speaker to aim the speaker upwards towards the ears.
    Based on his initial pics, that cabinet seems high enough as is, allowing the center to line up fairly well with the tweeters in his towers.