Memorial Day---In Memory Who Gave up their lives----

Options
txcoastal1
txcoastal1 Posts: 13,132
  • We have our differences
  • We have choice
  • Most of all we have freedom

This year, I would like to include the Life that gave Courtney life. If not for the freedom and blessings from those who put their life on the line, she may not have been with us today. Courtney, Momma, Larry, and family...have a wonderful Memorial Day and many years to come.

be safe Polkie's, Enjoy
cyx2dbxzi33u.jpg
2-channel: Modwright KWI-200 Integrated, Dynaudio C1-II Signatures
Desktop rig: LSi7, Polk 110sub, Dayens Ampino amp, W4S DAC/pre, Sonos, JRiver
Gear on standby: Melody 101 tube pre, Unison Research Simply Italy Integrated
Gone to new homes: (Matt Polk's)Threshold Stasis SA12e monoblocks, Pass XA30.5 amp, Usher MD2 speakers, Dynaudio C4 platinum speakers, Modwright LS100 (voltz), Simaudio 780D DAC

erat interfectorem cesar et **** dictatorem dicere a

Comments

• voltz
    voltz Posts: 5,384
    Options
    ^^^^
    Well Spoken Brother!

Many gave up everything for us to enjoy everything!
    2 ch- Polk CRS+ * Vincent SA-31MK Preamp * Vincent Sp-331 Amp * Marantz SA8005 SACD * Project Xperience Classic TT * Sumiko Blue Point #2 MC cartridge

HT - Polk 703's * NAD T-758 * Adcom 5503 * Oppo 103 * Samsung 60" series 8 LCD
  • afterburnt
    afterburnt Posts: 7,892
    Options
    Here's some ground rules for this weekend, Memorial Day Weekend.
    1. Don't wish me a Happy Memorial Day - there ain't nothing happy about brave men and women dying.
    2. Its not a holiday or a sale, its a Day of Remembrance.
    3. You want to know the true meaning, visit your local Cemetery or a VA Hospital, not Disneyland or the mall.
    4. Don't tell me how great anyone in political power is; tell me about AWSCS Sean "Sully" Sullivan, AWS2 Joseph "Fitz" Fitzmorris, SOCS Kyle Milliken, or my friend LT Nathan White, or I can tell you about Pearl Harbor which set off the American campaign for WWII.
    5. Don't tell me I don't know what I am talking about, I have carried the burden all too many times for warriors who now stand their post for God.
    6. Say a prayer, and then raise a glass and thank God for the men and women who are no longer here.
    7. Do NOT "thank" a living Veteran for his/her service... they'll get honored on Veterans Day in November!!
    This is time to remember that the true price of freedom is paid in the lives that defend it. Honor our brothers and sisters that have given the last full measure to secure our freedoms
    *******Copied text, feel free to repost********
    LikeShow more reactionsComment
  • nooshinjohn
    nooshinjohn Posts: 25,101
    Options
    All gave some, some gave all. God bless anyone that paid the bill for our freedoms. you shall never be forgotten.
    The Gear... Carver "Statement" Mono-blocks, Mcintosh C2300 Arcam AVR20, Oppo UDP-203 4K Blu-ray player, Sony XBR70x850B 4k, Polk Audio Legend L800 with height modules, L400 Center Channel Polk audio AB800 "in-wall" surrounds. Marantz MM7025 stereo amp. Simaudio Moon 680d DSD

“When once a Republic is corrupted, there is no possibility of remedying any of the growing evils but by removing the corruption and restoring its lost principles; every other correction is either useless or a new evil.”— Thomas Jefferson
  • rpf65
    rpf65 Posts: 2,127
    Options
    afterburnt wrote: »
    Here's some ground rules for this weekend, Memorial Day Weekend.
    1. Don't wish me a Happy Memorial Day - there ain't nothing happy about brave men and women dying.
    2. Its not a holiday or a sale, its a Day of Remembrance.
    3. You want to know the true meaning, visit your local Cemetery or a VA Hospital, not Disneyland or the mall.
    4. Don't tell me how great anyone in political power is; tell me about AWSCS Sean "Sully" Sullivan, AWS2 Joseph "Fitz" Fitzmorris, SOCS Kyle Milliken, or my friend LT Nathan White, or I can tell you about Pearl Harbor which set off the American campaign for WWII.
    5. Don't tell me I don't know what I am talking about, I have carried the burden all too many times for warriors who now stand their post for God.
    6. Say a prayer, and then raise a glass and thank God for the men and women who are no longer here.
    7. Do NOT "thank" a living Veteran for his/her service... they'll get honored on Veterans Day in November!!
    This is time to remember that the true price of freedom is paid in the lives that defend it. Honor our brothers and sisters that have given the last full measure to secure our freedoms
    *******Copied text, feel free to repost********
    LikeShow more reactionsComment

Funny: the only people who thank me for serving, have never served.
    Met a guy who did Wild Weasal operations, told him he was border line insane. His response; "Not really, we took turns."

For every name you know as a hero, there are thousands that you have no clue who they are. For each individual you can name, there were at least 10 others trying their best to take care of those who didn't make it home. They should also be honored.

Enjoy you family and friends company on this holiday. Maybe offer a toast to those who you know, or don't know.

If you wish to remember one thing: There is always somebody on watch.

• deronb1
    deronb1 Posts: 5,021
    Options
    And its not just in combat. Thousands have lost their lives during training and humanitarian missions. Its a tough, dangerous job staying prepared and helping others.
  • ZLTFUL
    ZLTFUL Posts: 5,640
    Options

I wish I could post this a million times. I have actually gotten scolded for telling someone this when they thanked me for my service on Memorial Day. My sacrifice was tiny compared to those who never came back from their service.
    "Some people find it easier to be conceited rather than correct."

"Unwad those panties and have a good time man. We're all here to help each other, no matter how it might appear." DSkip
  • Msabot1
    Msabot1 Posts: 2,098
    Options
    A salute to those who gave The Last Full Measure....
  • BlueMDPicker
    BlueMDPicker Posts: 7,569
    Options
    Thanks for your service and sacrifice.

American_military_cemetery_2003.JPG

• tonyb
    tonyb Posts: 32,906
    Options
    Thanks for posting this Ron, least of all reminds people that the day is just not a long weekend to party.
    Thanks for your service and sacrifice.

American_military_cemetery_2003.JPG

....and thank you too. Because under all those crosses is someone who sacrificed so YOUR name isn't on one.
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Acoustic zen Satori speaker cables
    Acoustic zen Matrix 2 IC's
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's
    Audio metallurgy ga-o digital cable

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • Gatecrasher
    Gatecrasher Posts: 1,550
    edited May 2017
    Options
    I went to the local cemetery today with my Father. Each year they have a military band there commemorating the day with patriotic music.

Every time I go abroad on business I try to include a little side trip if possible.

I was in France and wanted to visit Normandy memorial honoring the Americans who lost their lives during the D-Day invasion of France during WWII:

IMG_1246_zps9ivx6dhl.jpg

IMG_1244_zpszop7gtoi.jpg

IMG_1243_zpsru1rkmsk.jpg

IMG_1260_zpstaxw15y1.jpg

IMG_1255_zpsvoiywmxx.jpg

Later I went to Belgium and visited Bastogne where there is another memorial dedicated to the Americans who lost their lives during the Battle of the Bulge:

IMG_8028_zps0jg4jqkq.jpg

IMG_8046_zpsufvmxnhw.jpg

IMG_8051_zps3gps9n34.jpg

IMG_8048_zpst1vfmlsj.jpg

IMG_8061_zps0geekcqz.jpg

If you ever have the opportunity to visit either of these memorials I highly recommend taking the time to do so. The French and the Belgian people definitely appreciate America and keep them both in immaculate condition.

The military band at the local cemetery today was excellent. Another nice thing they do in this town is all the church bells ring to the national anthem and God Bless America.

People today tend to focus on trivial things. We all owe a lot to the men and women who sacrificed their lives to protect our nation. Because of their courage the United States of America and the world as a whole are better for it.
  • aprazer402
    aprazer402 Posts: 3,097
    Options
    838p7nddlylk.jpg
    For all those that have served and sacrificed, I honor and thank you.
  • tonyp063
    tonyp063 Posts: 1,048
    Options
    And also; lest we forget.

d7b592c3z0ur.jpg
  • vmaxer
    vmaxer Posts: 5,116
    Options

I saw this on Facebook, awesome.

https://youtu.be/Omd9_FJnerY
    Pio Elete Pro 520
    Panamax 5400-EX
    Sunfire TGP 5
    Micro Seiki DD-40 - Lyra-Dorian and Denon DL-160
    PS Audio GCPH phono pre
    Sunfire CG 200 X 5
    Sunfire CG Sig 405 X 5
    OPPO BDP-83 SE
    SDA SRS 1.2TL Sonicaps and Mills
    Ctr CS1000p
    Sur - FX1000 x 4
    SUB - SVS PB2-Plus

Workkout room:
    Sony Bravia XBR- 32-Inch 1080p
    Onkyo TX-DS898
    GFA 555
    Yamaha DVD-S1800BL/SACD
    Ft - SDA 1C

Not being used:
    RTi 38's -4
    RT55i's - 2
    RT25i's -2, using other 2 in shop
    LSI 15's
    CSi40
    PSW 404
  • lightman1
    lightman1 Posts: 10,776
    Options
    I've been to Normandy. I have gazed across the Crosses and Stars of David. We've all sern the movies and documetaries. Read the history books. Heard the tales from the Veterans. But....once you set foot on that hallowed ground and see the markers for each man who went forth and gave their life.....you can only feel the silence of sacrifice.
  • Gatecrasher
    Gatecrasher Posts: 1,550
    Options
    lightman1 wrote: »
    I've been to Normandy. I have gazed across the Crosses and Stars of David. We've all sern the movies and documetaries. Read the history books. Heard the tales from the Veterans. But....once you set foot on that hallowed ground and see the markers for each man who went forth and gave their life.....you can only feel the silence of sacrifice.

Yeah it's an emotional experience. I was in France on business in Offranville for a couple weeks and over the weekend visited the memorials at Normandy and Dieppe.
  • tonyb
    tonyb Posts: 32,906
    Options
    Seems to me anyway, the sacrifice given deserves more than one day of recognition a year. We should devote a whole month in my view....especially after noting all the other B.S. causes we devote a whole month to.
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Acoustic zen Satori speaker cables
    Acoustic zen Matrix 2 IC's
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's
    Audio metallurgy ga-o digital cable

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • mrbigbluelight
    mrbigbluelight Posts: 9,273
    Options
    ^^^ All very well said.

My dad served in WWII and fought in the Hurtgen Forest, a bloody campaign that was known as the " Verdun of WWII ".
    He made it back, a lot didn't.

In the town of Vossenach which was involved heavily in the Hurtgenwald fighting are many places of remembrances.
    The Germans remember, and respect the dead from both sides.

" The most important and most impressive memorial is the crucifixion group in the central part of the cemetery. It is quite expressive and shows Jesus on a large crucifix who extends one arm to the desperate people below (two of them being Mary and John the Baptist). The inscription plate says: ““MEMORIAL FOR PEACE 8.5.1945 – 8.5.1985 – Remember the Dead – they’re asking for peace". It was created by the Franciscan monk Laurentius Englisch and funded with donations.

zqmt5k6a5adf.jpg

Sal Palooza
  • Msabot1
    Msabot1 Posts: 2,098
    Options
    ^^^ All very well said.

My dad served in WWII and fought in the Hurtgen Forest, a bloody campaign that was known as the " Verdun of WWII ".
    He made it back, a lot didn't.

In the town of Vossenach which was involved heavily in the Hurtgenwald fighting are many places of remembrances.
    The Germans remember, and respect the dead from both sides.

" The most important and most impressive memorial is the crucifixion group in the central part of the cemetery. It is quite expressive and shows Jesus on a large crucifix who extends one arm to the desperate people below (two of them being Mary and John the Baptist). The inscription plate says: ““MEMORIAL FOR PEACE 8.5.1945 – 8.5.1985 – Remember the Dead – they’re asking for peace". It was created by the Franciscan monk Laurentius Englisch and funded with donations.

zqmt5k6a5adf.jpg

Hurtgen was a meat grinder....You are right...A lot didn't leave that place....