db6500 on clearance at CC

rodney
rodney Posts: 91
edited April 2004 in Car Audio & Electronics
I went to Circuit City today, and while venturing through the car audio dept, I noticed that the db6500 components were on clearance for $119.99. I ended up getting a set. Anyone know why theyre on sale for $80 less than usual? I think I found a pretty good deal, seeing as the sell on ebay for $115.
alpine cda-9857
polk db6500
polk ex369
polk/momo mm104
profile ap1040
kenwood kac-7251
Post edited by rodney on

Comments

• neomagus00
    neomagus00 Posts: 3,899
    edited April 2004
    isnt polk pulling out of cc? that may be it - cc's selling it all off and polk's picking up the tab or some such thing.
    It's not good, very fundamentally simply not good. - geolemon

"Its not good enough until we have real-time fearmongering. I want my fear mongered as it happens." - Shizelbs
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 0
    edited April 2004
    Certain lines (Momo, db components) are going to be discontinued at CC. Someone else will be picking up the lines in the near future. Don't ask who because no one on the forum is privy to that information.
  • exalted512
    exalted512 Posts: 10,735
    edited April 2004
    aww...come on...we wont tell nobody
    -Cody
    Music is like candy, you have to get rid of the rappers to enjoy it
  • CPHILHOWER
    CPHILHOWER Posts: 343
    edited April 2004
    CC is brining in AudioBahn equipment. Some say its good. I dont know. Something about a Sub that can handle the power they claim, At the Efficiency they claim. It Bothers me. I get JC Whitney flashbacks of Pyramid stuff.
    Best Buy is starting to sell Precision Power equipment.
    At Pep Boys, We are going to be getting in the following Brands. Kenwood and Digital Audio.
    Chris
  • MacLeod
    MacLeod Posts: 14,358
    edited April 2004
    Best Buy is going to be selling Precision Power? My Gawd! What the hell has DEI done to PPI. They used to be the best amps you could buy, now their in the Rockford Fosgate league; good but not great. DEI is the devil!!! I will never buy a Viper alarm again because of what they did to my former favorite amp!

I wonder why CC is getting rid of their higher end stuff? First they dumped their Alpine V12 amps which are awesome amps and now their getting rid of Momo speakers and DB components? I dont get it. Why dont they just go all the way and start selling Jensen, Kraco and Sparkomatic!?
    polkaudio sound quality competitor since 2005
    MECA SQ Rookie of the Year 06 ~ MECA State Champ 06,07,08,11 ~ MECA World Finals 2nd place 06,07,08,09
    08 Car Audio Nationals 1st ~ 07 N Georgia Nationals 1st ~ 06 Carl Casper Nationals 1st ~ USACi 05 Southeast AutumnFest 1st

polkaudio SR6500 --- polkaudio MM1040 x2 -- Pioneer P99 -- Rockford Fosgate P1000X5D
  • PoweredByDodge
    PoweredByDodge Posts: 4,185
    edited April 2004
    certain lines like momo and db ... um... arne't those the ONLY polk lines? or did i miss someting..lol
    The Artist formerly known as PoweredByDodge
  • [Deleted User]
    edited April 2004
    All they will sell is db coaxials. The new dealer is official, but the announcement hasn't been made yet. Look for a press release any day. If you think about it, you will probably figure it out.
  • Jstas
    Jstas Posts: 14,804
    edited April 2004
    I'm betting it's going to be Tweeter.
    Expert Moron Extraordinaire

You're just jealous 'cause the voices don't talk to you!
  • GT_03
    GT_03 Posts: 37
    edited April 2004
    Best Buy probably
  • exalted512
    edited April 2004
    Best Buy, they already sell Polk Home Audio dont they?
    if its tweeter, then im going to be pissed
    theres none of those around here
    -Cody
  • MacLeod
    edited April 2004
    Id rather see Polk in Tweeter. We have one around here and they sell higher end audio stuff. Polk would fit in better there with the MB Quarts, Boston Accoustics and JL Audios. I hope its not Best Buy, they are only a few nothces above Wal-Mart or AutoZone!
    MECA SQ Rookie of the Year 06 ~ MECA State Champ 06,07,08,11 ~ MECA World Finals 2nd place 06,07,08,09
    08 Car Audio Nationals 1st ~ 07 N Georgia Nationals 1st ~ 06 Carl Casper Nationals 1st ~ USACi 05 Southeast AutumnFest 1st

polkaudio SR6500 --- polkaudio MM1040 x2 -- Pioneer P99 -- Rockford Fosgate P1000X5D
  • exalted512
    edited April 2004
    if Tweeter ever decides to put a store in Corpus then id be for polk going to tweeter
    but whatever
    -Cody
  • neomagus00
    edited April 2004
    why is it that i've never heard of this store cept here?

"Its not good enough until we have real-time fearmongering. I want my fear mongered as it happens." - Shizelbs
  • exalted512
    edited April 2004
    its not a huge chain...if you dont have a million ppl in your city, chances are you wont have a tweeter
    -Cody
  • MacLeod
    edited April 2004
    Theyre apparantly just getting started. I like the idea, a big store like CC or BB but one that carries high end stuff. We have one here and its cool.

Here is their website. They aint half bad.

• [Deleted User]
    edited April 2004
    Tweeter has been around for years. They used to be called Bryn Mawr.
  • Jstas
    Jstas Posts: 14,804
    edited April 2004
    Just because they showed up in your local area recently doesn't mean they are new. Wal*Mart was around for like 10 years before we got one here in NJ.

Tweeter has somce decent equipment but in my experience, they are a corporate **** and will shill almost anything if the vendor gives them a lucrative enough deal. Aside from that, I find that the help/salesforce at Tweeter tends to be arrogant and idealistic. It can be bothersome but if you tell them to leave you alone until you find them, they usually do so. Personally, I am not too fond of Tweeter.

If Polk ends up at Tweeter, I can see a bunch of backlash from "checkbook audiophiles" who view Polk Audio as beneath everything else. It may be a blessing, it may be a hindrance. Only time will tell if it is Tweeter that gets Polk Audio.

On the flip side, Tweeter is a bit higher on the electronics chain store foodchain than CC and far beyond BB so it would help and move Polk Audio to a more upscale image rather than teh current Boes-like stigma the "great unwashed" currently associates with it. It's sad really because so many people think they know what is up but they really don't know what they are missing.
    Expert Moron Extraordinaire

You're just jealous 'cause the voices don't talk to you!
  • GT_03
    GT_03 Posts: 37
    edited April 2004
    I asked my buddy from CC about them getting rid of Polk, and he said no they are getting rid of Kenwood, never heard anything about Polk.
  • TrappedUnder Ice
    TrappedUnder Ice Posts: 975
    edited April 2004
    WE dont have a tweeter...and our city is over a million. WE have CC and BB...thats it. Up in Austin..they have Ultimate and Fry's. Fry's is kinda like tweeter. They currently carry Polk items...including the LSi line! as well as the car audio line. IF CC were to lose polk...its would more then likely loose most of its speaker sales...other then the bose whores and the cheapo's
  • exalted512
    edited April 2004
    Originally posted by TrappedUnder Ice
    IF CC were to lose polk...its would more then likely loose most of its speaker sales
    i dont think theres much of an 'if' about it since it came from an installer at Polk...
    but i agree, they would lose most of their sales...
    i guess it was about a year ago when the Polk Rep came on this forum and was talking to us about why some people thought Polk was going down hill
    he asked if we thought Polk was going down hill because they started selling their stuff at huge chain sellers(circuit city)
    i wonder if this has anything to do with that??
    -Cody
  • flashback
    flashback Posts: 9
    edited April 2004
    eh..... trust me.... u guys DON'T want polk stuff in tweeters.... i mean that is one of hte few companies that i truely hate... u can rag on CC all you want... but they're u'll find customer service and competative prices.. tweeters may seems nice but they will SQUEEZE every single penny they can out of you... o and i can guarantee you one thing.... YOU WILL NEVER PAY ONE CENT BELOW RETAIL PRICE ON ANY POLK PRODUCT THEY MIGHT EVER CARRY.......yes... i've been to tweeters and bought several things from them... but once your out the door and got ripped off they really don't want to see your face again...
    Bumpin a MM12 w/ a Rockford Fosgate 500s
  • neomagus00
    edited April 2004
    well, naturally they'll want to squeeze, they're in the business of making money. and if they see you again after you've walked out the door, that means they've messed up - or did such a good job that you want more.

btw, i've never been to a tweeter, this is just business in general.

• flashback
    flashback Posts: 9
    edited April 2004
    hehe if thats general business, i don't think i've been to a general business EVER.....i mean maybe to some extent that is all businesses..... but take that.. and multiply it by 3485277 and that = tweeters... i swear i will never step foot in that place again..... if you all disagree with me... just let me know... and btw if you go there on a regular bassis let me know, i'd like to take those $100's of dollars that you paying extra there for essentially nothing....
    Bumpin a MM12 w/ a Rockford Fosgate 500s
  • exalted512
    edited April 2004
    am i sensing some hostility?
    i dont like tweeter either...
    just because we dont have one
    i would never buy from them, but its nice to have audio stores to go and listen to different speakers and such
    -Cody
  • MacLeod
    edited April 2004
    Ive never bought anything from there either but, as you said, its nice to have a nice showroom to listen to high end stuff.

Circuit City is the customer service king as far as Im concerned. Ive made all my major electronic purchases there and the few times Ive needed to bring something back it was smooth and painless.

I bought an Alpine V Power 4 channel amp without the warranty and on the 40th day or so it died. Youre only supposed to have 30 days to return it but I tried anyway and it was smooth and painless. They exchanged it without so much as a whimper. I just wish they would carry more high end stuff. At least bring back the Alpine V12 amps! Maybe even carry their Type X speakers. Anything but Audioblah!

• SVT Pimpin
    SVT Pimpin Posts: 12
    edited April 2004
    i work at a circuit city roadshop and i've never heard anything about us getting rid of POLK. as someone said, we'd loose alot of sales, so i don't think they'd voluntarily get out of polk, unless polk pulls the plug on us.

There are getting rid of Kenwood products to due a distribution dispute or something like that.

I personally love POLK'S MOMO line and try to sell it whenever i can(their really the only sutff we sell thats any good in my opinion) too bad alot of customers in my store are so damn cheap (my store is in an area between the "HOOD" and the nicer part of time, so we get alot of broke **** people.

If anyone at polk can tell me about your pulling out, please let me know
  • esoteric1222
    esoteric1222 Posts: 7
    edited April 2004
    I also work at the CC roadshop and have not heard of Polk Pulling out. IMO I think that the db6500 is the best sounding comp set that we currently stock. We are also in the process of picking up Code Alarm.
    Please view my car audio page at

[http://members.sounddomain.com/esoteric1222]
  • Thom
    Thom Posts: 723
    edited April 2004
    As stated above, the db coax line will remain. Polk won't be completely out of CC. I don't know exactly how it played out, but apparently both sides felt that CC is better off without the "better" line. I talked to someone from the Annapolis store a few weeks ago and they had just put the MMC650's on the board and he was telling me how much he loved them. I was surprised because the stores don't seem to be let in on what's going on. This has happened with individual SKU's in the past, CC "discontinues" it, we get a bunch of calls from employees asking what happened, and at some point in the future maybe the piece gets back in the stores. I don't get the impression that Momo going away this time is temporary, though. With more than 600 stores it must be tough to keep everyone on the same page...
  • PoweredByDodge
    PoweredByDodge Posts: 4,185
    edited April 2004
    hey Thom, you gotta agree though that in the past 3 years circuit city has really gone down the car audio crapper...

they got rid of the "good" kenwood stuff.

they got rid of the "good" pioneer stuff.

they got rid of the "good" infinity stuff.

and now they're bringing in Coustic, Audiobahn, and Profile.

now polk's upper end stuff is going by the wayside....

circuit city used to be a place you could compare Polk DB (old) component sets, Infinity Kappa Perfect comp sets, and Kenwood Excelon dB component sets... now its just a vile of ****.

on a good note -- i may end up with two momo mm124's ... i'm thinkin that'll be better since i can run them off just one 81000d... save myself some room, get rid of some of the 0 gauge clutter.
    The Artist formerly known as PoweredByDodge
  • Thom
    Thom Posts: 723
    edited April 2004
    Originally posted by PoweredByDodge
    hey Thom, you gotta agree though that in the past 3 years circuit city has really gone down the car audio crapper...

they got rid of the "good" kenwood stuff.

they got rid of the "good" pioneer stuff.

they got rid of the "good" infinity stuff.

and now they're bringing in Coustic, Audiobahn, and Profile.

I've always used Alpine (and on occasion, Sony), so I'm not familiar with the others.

I thought Coustic's been in CC for years. I'm pretty sure I remember seeing stuff in the boards a year and a half ago (or more).