New Boulder 1100 series amps

[Deleted User]
[Deleted User] Posts: 342
edited May 2017 in 2 Channel Audio
Some details are starting to come out about the long-awaiting replacement for the classic Boulder 1060 and 1010 amps. With the exception of the Boulder 2060, the 1060 & 1010 have been the stalwarts in Boulder's range, being in constant production for 17 years. The new amps are reminiscent of the styling of the iconic, if short-lived Edge amplifiers, as well as Burmester. I have to say I like the minimalist, yet stylish looks.

The new amps as of April are still in development, so they may be only on static display at Munich. But they should be there. Here are the specs for those of you (myself included) strictly window shopping! B) .

Properties of pre-Amp Version 1110 -

• Five balanced analog inputs on superior XLR connectors
• New, fully-balanced volume control for reduced distortion and step noise • A large, full-color LCD display to clearly indicate all functions and settings
• Browser control of all front panel, remote, and naming settings
• Comprehensive browser-based setup of preamp preferences
• IP control for seamless integration into home automation systems
• Ethernet connection for future software updates
• Low power-consumption Standby mode
• Dimensions: 18 " (45.8 cm) w x 5.75 " (14.6 cm) H x 16 " (40.7 cm) D

Properties of power amp version 1160 Stereo Amplifier -

• 300W per channel of continuous power into any load
• Improved ground scheme reduces distortion
• Balanced topology from input to output
• New protection circuitry monitors line voltage and amplifier operation
• Browser control and monitoring of all functions
• IP control for use in automated theater or home control systems
• Dual, encased, magnetically shielded power transformers, one for each channel
• Low power-consumption Standby mode
• Dimensions: 18 " (45.8 cm) w x 9.5 " (24.2 cm) H x 22.75 " (57.8 cm) D

ftlc0ggmrcns.jpg

7omriqod1snn.jpg

5pdon7tkqd68.jpg

sbkkoy072zv1.jpg
Heatsinks being cut for the upcoming 1160. They look a lot different before sanding and blasting.

Comments

• ZLTFUL
    ZLTFUL Posts: 5,647
    Been watching the progress on their Facebook page and am excited even if this isn't something I will be able to afford for a few more years. hehe.
    "Some people find it easier to be conceited rather than correct."

"Unwad those panties and have a good time man. We're all here to help each other, no matter how it might appear." DSkip
  • Joey_V
    Joey_V Posts: 8,544
    Big fan here.

Not sure I like the wavy faceplate.

Still a real Boulder though.

It's not going to be easy to afford one, my guess is 1160 is $30,000.
    Magico, JL, Emm, ARC Ref 10 line, ARC Ref 10 phono, VPI, Lyra, Boulder, AQ Wel, SRA Scuttle Rack, Bluesound
  • EndersShadow
    EndersShadow Posts: 17,579
    Joey_V wrote: »
    Big fan here.

So your on the pre-order list for like what 2 :wink:
    "....not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted." William Bruce Cameron, Informal Sociology: A Casual Introduction to Sociological Thinking (1963)
  • [Deleted User]
    edited May 2017
    Big fan here.

Here is a clearer promo pic. The new design certainly gives the new series a distinct look...it won't get confused with the 2100 series. But as you said, it has it where it counts!

hk0a37dxq10l.png
  • Joey_V
    I think this will be a killer amp... I would love to hear one.

I see it's got a few 2000/2100 series touches. The power button looks the exam same as mine, the heatsinks look similar to mine.

I think the white LED is a nice touch, ala 3000 series.

I would love to own one, but alas, it's not something you just buy because you like it.... that's an expensive piece and it's not for a secondary system or anything. That's a real legit piece.
    Magico, JL, Emm, ARC Ref 10 line, ARC Ref 10 phono, VPI, Lyra, Boulder, AQ Wel, SRA Scuttle Rack, Bluesound
  • Joey_V
    Big fan here.

So your on the pre-order list for like what 2 :wink:

Yeah, haha, I wish.
  • [Deleted User]
    edited May 2017
    @Joey_V, I agree. I think with the development of the 3000 series and 2100 series, these new amps should be much better than the old 1000 series. The 1160 should have an edge over the 2060 in every area except ultimate power/headroom.

Good eye spotting the design features of the new amps...that comes from many years of Boulder ownership. Did you notice how the wavy lines flow from the pre to the power amp? That is another design queue from the 3000 series.

Am I tempted? Yes and no. I don't have the space for a pre/power combo...especially not a huge amp like the 1160! Besides that, Vitus as you know has great synergy with Magico. I'm waiting for the new SIA-030 due around the end of this year which will have a lot more power/control & the latest technology from the SM-011 mono's & SL-103 :yum:.
  • Joey_V
    I will call Boulder and ask about the 1160 vs 2060. It does not play in class A so I doubt it. It's still a Boulder that is detuned.

• Joey_V wrote: »
    I will call Boulder and ask about the 1160 vs 2060. It does not play in class A so I doubt it. It's still a Boulder that is detuned.
    I'll be interested to read their f'back. Rich Maez is usually forthcoming & straight up and honest.

• Joey_V
    Bodhi wrote: »
    I'll be interested to read their f'back. Rich Maez is usually forthcoming & straight up and honest.

Usually rich doesn't answer the phones, I get their engineers typically.
  • Joey_V wrote: »

Usually rich doesn't answer the phones, I get their engineers typically.
    Well it was hard to get Elvis on the phone at Graceland too! :lol:

• Here is the first 1160 amp prototype being built B)

mjqhdfhx7oiy.jpg
  • Joey_V
    Sealed transformers, many capacitors for quick energy transfer, multiple output transistors... Yep that's a full fledged boulder.
  • A freshly blasted heatsink for the upcoming 300WPC 1160 amp ready to be anodized. Can you spot the subtle changes?

19yr0gvlm1ub.jpg
  • Joey_V
    It appears like the edges are chamfered. Very very nice.

Looks better than even on my 2060.
  • [Deleted User]
    edited May 2017
    It appears like the edges are chamfered. Very very nice.

Looks better than even on my 2060.
    You're right about the chamfered edges; the machining is beautiful to behold, even better in the metal. You're right that your amp should have a more class A sound compared to the 1160, yet I wouldn't be surprised if the 1160 sounds a bit better overall, though with less power and current. It is a massive amp!

I was thinking what kind of speaker i'd throw an amp like that at, and the Infinity IRS Omega's came to mind. With their Watkins dual vc woofers, the IRS speakers were notoriously power hungry. I'd love to throw a 1160 and ARC Ref 40th Anniversary pre at those speakers...I think that would be an awesome combo!
  • Joey_V
    My local buddy is looking at the ARC ref 10 preamp and a Boulder.

I guess I will have to live vicariously through him!

Also he is looking at Q7mk2 or M6.
  • Wow, your buddy is living the dream for sure! Then again, most folk on this forum would say we're living the dream bro :).
  • Joey_V
    Wow, your buddy is living the dream for sure! Then again, most folk on this forum would say we're living the dream bro :).

It's all relative Dave...

There's somewhat no budget. And then there's literally NO budget.

That's the difference when someone makes 5x what you make.
  • [Deleted User]
    edited May 2017

Trust me, I know! I've got friends who drive current model Rolls Royce & Porsches whose second system kicks the arse of my main system!

It's nice to live vicariously through friends :smiley:.
  • Joey_V

Trust me, I know! I've got friends who drive current model Rolls Royce & Porsches whose second system kicks the arse of my main system!

It's nice to live vicariously through friends :smiley:.

Agreed. It's nice to play tag-along over here too.