2ch and HT......

Options
2»

Comments

• George Grand
    George Grand Posts: 12,258
    edited April 2004
    Options
    Does my unwashed friend mean the people such as moi, who use two channel equipment as HT, RATHER than the converse, using surround equipment as two channel?

If that's what you mean it's still dead. Dead is dead.

Is this going to be a two-part question?

Tell your wife I love her, but don't tell her about what I said to Doro.

George Grand (of the Jersey Grands)
  • TroyD
    TroyD Posts: 13,077
    edited April 2004
    Options
    George...not a word, I promise.

Well, per Dan's definition, what George has isn't HT. That said, I'll take George's rig that he has in his den over any surround rig that I can think of and we will continue to collect an horde our 2ch gear that is superior in sound quality to just about any surround receiver and so forth that the folks are walking out of tweeter and so forth with.

I digress, though.

Companies that produce 2ch gear are FAR from dead. Lesse, Madrigal and it's holdings, Conrad Johnson, McIntosh, Bryston, Audio Research, Musical Fidelity, Music Hall....etc etc etc....all these companies are producing 2ch gear and seem to be claiming increasing sales. Music Hall is selling more turntables than they can produce (not too many LP's in 5.1, methinks). The point is, SOMEONE is buying 2ch gear. They ain't buying it at Tweeter because they don't sell it there.

That said, high end 2ch has ALWAYS been a niche market. Are the midfi/lowfi companies turning to HT, sure, that's the fad and it's where the markup is. The point that I'm trying to make is, Dan, is that Tweeter is only a segment of the consumer electronics world and the directions that Tweeter is taking is not neccessarily indicitive of the listening habits of the entire spectrum of consumers.

BDT
    I plan for the future. - F1Nut
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,871
    edited April 2004
    Options
    All one has to do is take a look at the ads in Stereophile or TAS to see that 2 channel is alive and well.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• TroyD
    edited April 2004
    Options
    Oh, and as soon as I can round up a dig camera George, I'll send you a picture of Wendi standing with '007' with her 8x10 glossy of you perched on top.

BDT
  • TroyD
    edited April 2004
    Options
    Oh, and if anyone is out there wondering WHY Tweeter and stores like it are far busier hawking plasma TV's than 2ch gear. One word. MARKUP.

The ones that I really laugh at are the guys who drop a few G's on a plasma TV and have it hooked up to a 300 dollar HTiB. Those folks deserve **** sound.

BDT
  • gidrah
    gidrah Posts: 3,049
    edited April 2004
    Options
    Sometimes I forget my HT receiver can do 5.1. Maybe someday I'll hook it up. Either that or I'll just put it on a shelf and replace it with better separates or an integrated.
    Make it Funky! :)
  • scottdawg
    scottdawg Posts: 166
    edited April 2004
    Options
    I dont even have an HT setup, for one Im not interested and two I dont know a thing about it.
  • HBombToo
    HBombToo Posts: 5,256
    edited April 2004
    Options
    For as long as I can remember the audio from TV's just sucked but that 10ft long console in our living room sounded great to me. From the time I bought my first Carver I intended to hook it up to my TV so it could sound as good as the music I was playing. Stereo(or 2 channel) has always been enjoyable to me and now with all the cool stuff for HT I can say that I really enjoy both the same.

I can't say 2 channel is dead but I will say HTIB systems are better than TV speakers and is responsible for the increase in enthusiasts across all walks of life. Markup on HTIB or not it is still inexpensive enough to at least get people talking audio and sparking the increased sales in the 2 channel market.

Face it though... most Americans spend way to much time in front of TV's so IMO HT is more attractive to the majority.

HBomb
    ***WAREMTAE***
  • George Grand
    George Grand Posts: 12,258
    edited April 2004
    Options
    It's dead. We are a niche market. Stereo was NOT a niche market. High end stereo is a niche market. I don't see it getting any larger. I think Music Hall is selling turntables to "curiousity seekers" for lack of a better term. Seems faddish right now to be into vinyl (to a certain group, obviously there are diehard stalwarts out there also) and I think that's what all the hubbub is about. Stereophile? Mike Fremer is reaching 100,000 readers if that, and half probably don't have turntables.

There will soon be more model railroad enthusiasts than true STEREO enthusiasts.

It's unfortunate, but I think SACD and DVD-AUDIO will also slowly die out.

Real two-channel stereo? Where a real man says, "Nay, we'll have no smattering of satellite cubes in this house by god, we will have two monoliths!"? That part is dying

Personally, I'd hoard.

George Grand (of the Jersey Grands)
  • organ
    organ Posts: 4,969
    edited April 2004
    Options
    2ch is the best! It's not dying IMO. There are plenty of new companies that focus only on 2ch...ASL, MF, Jolida, Nohr, etc. There are also a lot of companies making vacuum tubes today.

For HT, I love multichannel. I haven't watched any of my movies since I got rid of the Onkyo receiver. I'm planning to start a HT system again. It will ONLY be used for movies. No music! I also have my LSi9 stashed away waiting for that one fine day when she gets powered up by a killer amp and great a great pre, source, etc.

Maurice