Completely disappointed in this 24K speaker...*shakes head*

13»

Comments

• konikkonik Posts: 3
    Hey Tom why don't you go and kick rocks cuz you're a liar buddy and I think I respect Robert deutsches opinion more than yours cuz he reviews for stereophile and he bought the three hundreds of this new reference so I think you better get your ears checked take the wax out of them you're a joke you couldn't review crap.
  • F1nutF1nut Posts: 44,507
    Oh great, another troll.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• NightfallNightfall Posts: 9,032
    konik wrote: »
    Hey Tom why don't you go and kick rocks cuz you're a liar buddy and I think I respect Robert deutsches opinion more than yours cuz he reviews for stereophile and he bought the three hundreds of this new reference so I think you better get your ears checked take the wax out of them you're a joke you couldn't review crap.

If you like them so much just enjoy them. Why are you so concerned what other people think about them?
    afterburnt wrote: »
    They didn't speak a word of English, they were from South Carolina.

Village Idiot of Club Polk
  • treitz3treitz3 Posts: 14,506
    *yawn*

Tom
    In search of accurate reproduction of music. Real sound is my reference and while perfection may not be attainable? If I chase it, I might just catch excellence.

~ The best way to enjoy digital music reproduction is to never listen to good analogue reproduction ~

~ Not all things that can be measured can be heard and not all things heard can be measured ~

~ When the law ends, tyranny begins ~
  • voltzvoltz Posts: 5,423
    edited November 2019
    konik wrote: »

Sorry my friend that you feel that these people who ears I have come to realize are special and better then mine feel that the speakers in question do not own up to what they cost.

I myself have heard some of the upper Audio monitors stuff and was left a little wanting but at other time the lower cost stuff seem worth every penny spent!
    I didn't get my ear on the ones in question so I can not give a opinion except that I have come to trust Tom's ear's and would not ever considered buying anything he himself would not considered buying. (if that make's any sense)

All that every matters is what your own ears think is special...so if those speakers speaker to you i& makes you feel they are special then go for it.. buy them and lose no sleep over what anyone else things! I sure the heck wouldn't B)

I choose to walk my own path..but I will never judge others for like homey when I hate homey....my dad swore he love the taste of homey.. I told him you wrong? you may like it or thing you love it but nobody could love something so taste less as homey then my sister jump in and said she really likes homey also? what is wrong with my family ?

anyways Rock on! enjoy your stuff and chill
    2 ch- Polk CRS+ * Vincent SA-31MK Preamp * Vincent Sp-331 Amp * Marantz SA8005 SACD * Project Xperience Classic TT * Sumiko Blue Point #2 MC cartridge

HT - Polk 703's * NAD T-758 * Adcom 5503 * Oppo 103 * Samsung 60" series 8 LCD
  • richiegrichieg Posts: 1
    Tom,
    Have you listened to B&W 800’s D3? If so, I would love to get your opinion.
    Thanks,

Rich
    Hello, richeg and welcome to Club Polk. No sir. I have not heard that particular speaker, therefore I cannot comment on them. We have a shop in town that has a B&W and McIntosh room but that particular model has not been in there yet.

Tom
    In search of accurate reproduction of music. Real sound is my reference and while perfection may not be attainable? If I chase it, I might just catch excellence.

~ The best way to enjoy digital music reproduction is to never listen to good analogue reproduction ~

~ Not all things that can be measured can be heard and not all things heard can be measured ~

• WillowWillow Posts: 10,071
    I think Joey probably has listened to those or actually has them as his pantry set up.
    2Ch- B&W 703, SVS PB10 NSD, Marantz NR1607, Parasound 1500a, Pro-Ject Debut Carbon (Yellow) with Acrylic platter, Pro-Ject phono pre, MIT AVT 2 speaker cables, MIT AVT 1 and AVT 2 ICs, XLO Jumpers, Signal Dig Coax, Signal Cable Magic Power Cables x3, Samsung 55JS7000, Harmony 1100, Sony BDP-S6200, Marantz DV-4200 (as Transport), Cambridge Audio DAC Magic100, Monster 3600MKII, Android Mi Box3 and Apple TV. - Pool /Gazebo Yamaha RX-A1010, Polk Patio 25x4, Rotel RDV 1045 (as CDP) MIT AVT3 ICs - Work - Spotify Premium or Neutron App to my FiiO Kunlun into my Grado SR125e

• nooshinjohnnooshinjohn Posts: 22,677
    edited February 7
    I have heard the D3's... I love the design of B&W speakers, and really want to like the sound of them, but they are just too dry and sterile sounding for my taste. They are incredibly accurate, but they also seem to strip away the soul of the music.

I have a couple good friends that work for Magnolia. They both are of the opinion that I would be nuts to part with my SDA-SRS 1.2TL's to get the Bowers. They prefer the big Polks to the Kef Blades and the D3's.
    The Gear... Carver "Statement" Mono-blocks, TriangleArt Reference SE with Pass Labs Xono Phono Preamp, Walker Precision Motor Drive, ClearAudio Goldfinger Diamond v2 cartridge and Origin Conquerer Mk3c tonearm, Polk Audio "Signature" Reference Series 1.2TL with complete mods, Pass Labs X0.2 three chassis preamp, PS Audio PerfectWave DAC MkII, Krell Evolution 505 SACD Player, Pioneer Elite SC-LX701, Oppo UDP-205 4K Blu-ray player, Sony XBR70x850B 4k, Polk audio AB800 "in-wall" surrounds.

Saying that it's "too hard" to pursue your dreams is no different than admitting to yourself that you are too lazy to achieve them.

“If it moves, tax it. If it keeps moving, regulate it. And if it stops moving, subsidize it.”
    @richieg, I did have time today to stop by that shop to see what they had. The big boy B&W's that they had set up were the 802's hooked up to McIntosh separates with mono blocks. I would hope that the D3's sound much better because I didn't want to listen to too much on this set up.

I listened to;

1 - 1 minute of Yosi Horikawa's "Bubbles"
    2 - about 45 seconds of Alan Jackson's "Like Red on a Rose"
    3 - Less that 20 seconds of Yosi Hirokawa's "Bump"

What I heard was the emotions that one would get from crushing a cricket and bass that was slow, sloppy, muddy and laughable when it came to the lowest of registers. The mids were congested (especially on voices) and the upper end was decent (read defined) but clinical, if you will. Overall, just a bad experience that left me wanting so much more.

I don't know how much those speakers cost but it had a front end that was probably around 45K (All McIntosh) played with a network system that I didn't even bother to look at or inquire about. The salesman was a little taken aback of my observations when he asked me if I liked it but I'll give credit where it's due and will not hold back when I have an experience like this. It was just plain old bad. You could not pay me to listen to a system like that.

My apologies to anyone on this forum who happens to own these speakers but it is what it is and I will not sugar coat something that was so uninspiring that I honestly felt like I needed to take a bath after auditioning.

Tom

• deronb1deronb1 Posts: 5,094
    Ha! Its the McIntosh's
    Might have been, I dunno. Rumor has it that they go good with Classe gear. Anyhoo, I called back because I started researching the different lines of the B&W's and apparently the pair I heard today were the D2's.

Tom

• KexKex Posts: 4,270
    edited February 7
    treitz3 wrote: »
    ... What I heard was the emotions that one would get from crushing a cricket and bass that was slow, sloppy, muddy and laughable when it came to the lowest of registers. The mids were congested (especially on voices) and the upper end was decent (read defined) but clinical, if you will. Overall, just a bad experience that left me wanting so much more.

[...] It was just plain old bad. You could not pay me to listen to a system like that.

[...] I will not sugar coat something that was so uninspiring that I honestly felt like I needed to take a bath after auditioning.

Tom
    C’mon now... don’t hold back, tell us what you really feel! 😂 😱
    Alea jacta est!
  • jbreezy5jbreezy5 Posts: 54
    treitz3 wrote: »
    Might have been, I dunno. Rumor has it that they go good with Classe gear. Anyhoo, I called back because I started researching the different lines of the B&W's and apparently the pair I heard today were the D2's.

Tom

Haven’t heard any big B&Ws that I like yet. It’s hard to fathom at these price points; one would think they should embarrass more affordable designs. I like B&W CMs, though.
    deronb1 wrote: »
    Ha! Its the McIntosh's

I’ve heard a confused sounding McIntosh system with the 7-tube preamp (not sure the model #) and MC275 on Paradigm Signature floorstanders. I was shocked to say the least. One could hardly attribute the result to the speakers, in this case.

However, the MC275 sounded fabulous with a McIntosh solid-state pre on Totem’s. Also, the speakers wouldn’t have added to or taken away from the experience, here.

Verdict: 🤷🏻‍♂️ (to all of the above)
    edited February 8
    The pre that they had in there used 10 tubes total. IIRC, there were 2ea 12AT7's and the other 8 were 12AX7's. When I inquired about what brand of tubes they were, they said they were relabeled Russian tubes, most likely Tung Sol. The pre also had a "controller" unit underneath it. When I inquired, the pre and controller were about 14K for both.

I got up and did not want to hear anymore after around 20 seconds of "Bump". It isn't because I am an audio snob or anything, they simply sounded bad. I've heard systems at Best Buy that would sound more pleasurable, TBT. I really do not see what the hype is with them.

Just for reference, they sounded better at lower volumes but when we turned it up? The system completely fell apart. (sound wise)

[EDIT:] Found it - https://www.mcintoshlabs.com/products/preamplifiers/C1100 - but I think they had a different controller IIRC.

Tom
    Post edited by treitz3 on

• jbreezy5jbreezy5 Posts: 54
    edited February 9
    treitz3 - I hear you on the “not being a snob” point. It’s good to be an audiophile these days. Incredibly good sound can be had for relatively little $$$.

I’ve never heard the 24k Monitor Audios referenced in this thread; but I have a pair of Silver 1 bookshelves, and they sound superb. Got’em NIB on clearance for $600/pr.; mighty impressive at 40x less cost!
    Post edited by jbreezy5 on