polks terrible website

Comments

• rooftop59
    rooftop59 Posts: 7,952
    edited June 2017
    txcoastal1 wrote: »
    Because you don't discuss your "experience" with cables, you discuss DBT, and try to tell people how they should spend their money, and figuratively tell people that their experience is BS.

Right. With this rule you can post your personal observations *if you have any* and if you don't you can say that you don't recommend spending x on cables because you haven't and you're happy with your system, but that's it. So people could debate, based on experience, which cable they think are best and why. But we could NOT debate whether or not cables matter in toto.
    Living Room 2.2: Usher BE-718 "tiny dancers"; Dual DIY Dayton audio RSS210HF-4 Subs with Dayton SPA-250 amps; Arcam SA30; Musical Fidelity A308; Sony UBP-x1000es; Squeezebox Touch with Bolder Power Supply
    Game Room 5.1.4:
    Denon AVR-X4200w; Sony UBP-x700; Definitive Technology Power Monitor 900 mains, CLR-3000 center, StudioMonitor 350 surrounds, ProMonitor 800 atmos x4; Sub - Monoprice Monolith 15in THX Ultra

Bedroom 2.1
    Cambridge Azur 551r; Polk RT25i; ACI Titan Subwoofer
  • @Nightfall I believe people can make suggestions but then when it gets into name calling and general disregard for rules that is where the issue lies.

• K_M
    K_M Posts: 1,627
    Because you don't discuss your "experience" with cables, you discuss DBT, and try to tell people how they should spend their money, and figuratively tell people that their "experience" is BS.

Now you still would have the choice to communicate with the OP or anyone else via PM's to state whatever you would like about DBT, roger russell etc

I have mentioned using "Blind" or "unaware" comparisons as a double check to a sighted comparison.
    A verification method that may or may not agree with a sighted comparison and will often help in determining the outcome with more certainty.

DBT is something completely different.
  • Jimbo18
    Jimbo18 Posts: 2,310
    No more cable wars!!?? Where's the fun in that? :wink:
  • txcoastal1
    txcoastal1 Posts: 13,124
    @Nightfall I believe people can make suggestions but then when it gets into name calling and general disregard for rules that is where the issue lies.

Ken,
    It's not the name calling per se, it's the pages and pages of debate. This is what confuses the new OP when they simply come by to ask about wiring up their system.

90% of the time we suggest the basic cables like blue jeans, or signal. The the OP may ask about a higher end cable, we that have experience in such cables give our opinion and that's when the proverbial shiite hits the fan.
    2-channel: Modwright KWI-200 Integrated, Dynaudio C1-II Signatures
    Desktop rig: LSi7, Polk 110sub, Dayens Ampino amp, W4S DAC/pre, Sonos, JRiver
    Gear on standby: Melody 101 tube pre, Unison Research Simply Italy Integrated
    Gone to new homes: (Matt Polk's)Threshold Stasis SA12e monoblocks, Pass XA30.5 amp, Usher MD2 speakers, Dynaudio C4 platinum speakers, Modwright LS100 (voltz), Simaudio 780D DAC

erat interfectorem cesar et **** dictatorem dicere a
  • txcoastal1
    K_M wrote: »
    Because you don't discuss your "experience" with cables, you discuss DBT, and try to tell people how they should spend their money, and figuratively tell people that their "experience" is BS.

Now you still would have the choice to communicate with the OP or anyone else via PM's to state whatever you would like about DBT, roger russell etc

I have mentioned using "Blind" or "unaware" comparisons as a double check to a sighted comparison.
    A verification method that may or may not agree with a sighted comparison and will often help in determining the outcome with more certainty.

KenC.....this is the example
    Gone to new homes: (Matt Polk's)Threshold Stasis SA12e monoblocks, Pass XA30.5 amp, Usher MD2 speakers, Dynaudio C4 platinum speakers, Modwright LS100 (voltz), Simaudio 780D DAC

• K_M
    rooftop59 wrote: »
    Because you don't discuss your "experience" with cables, you discuss DBT, and try to tell people how they should spend their money, and figuratively tell people that their experience is BS.

Right. With this rule you can post your personal observations *if you have any* and if you don't you can say that you don't recommend spending x on cables because you haven't and you're happy with your system, but that's it.So people could debate, based on experience, which cable they think are best and why. But we could NOT debate whether or not cables matter in toto.

With dozens of variables in equipment, rooms, acoustics, music styles, and listeners hearing and preferences, I am not sure how one could determine a "best" that would be meaningful to someone else though.

• txcoastal1

Right. With this rule you can post your personal observations *if you have any* and if you don't you can say that you don't recommend spending x on cables because you haven't and you're happy with your system, but that's it.So people could debate, based on experience, which cable they think are best and why. But we could NOT debate whether or not cables matter in toto.

With dozens of variables in equipment, rooms, acoustics, music styles, and listeners hearing and preferences, I am not sure how one could determine a "best" that would be meaningful to someone else though.

We don't force the OP to do anything, we only provide suggestions....no different than amps, speakers, acoustical treatment, dacs etc

The OP can take or leave the suggestion, and they can do there own research, like I said you can PM the op's with all the DBT BS, at least our suggestions are experience related

• nooshinjohn
    nooshinjohn Posts: 25,034
    I think Ken, what Nightfall is suggesting is to look at threads that historically devolve into problems and come up with a way of tailoring discussion of those topics to eliminate the point at which they go off the rails. K_M here is one of the primary reasons so many threads spiral out of control, and by looking at her/his responses in this thread alone, you can begin to see why.

The primary issue is those with zero experience about a topic will jump in where we are offering experience based advise and shout us down because they believe that advice is wrong because they read it somewhere else on the internet rather than from knowing anything at all about the subject being discussed.

Many of us take offense to being told that we wasted our money and time, or that decades of experience are complete bs when the guy saying such things has zero experience in audio besides plugging his I-phone into a Bose wave radio.

By eliminating the point of contention, DBT testing in this case, we can discuss a topic based on relevant experience as opposed to arguing about it.
    The Gear... Carver "Statement" Mono-blocks, Mcintosh C2300 Arcam AVR20, Oppo UDP-203 4K Blu-ray player, Sony XBR70x850B 4k, Polk Audio Legend L800 with height modules, L400 Center Channel Polk audio AB800 "in-wall" surrounds. Marantz MM7025 stereo amp. Simaudio Moon 680d DSD

“When once a Republic is corrupted, there is no possibility of remedying any of the growing evils but by removing the corruption and restoring its lost principles; every other correction is either useless or a new evil.”— Thomas Jefferson
  • K_M

We don't force the OP to do anything, we only provide suggestions....no different than amps, speakers, acoustical treatment, dacs etc

The OP can take or leave the suggestion, and they can do there own research, like I said you can PM the op's with all the DBT BS, at least our suggestions are experience related

Yes I have read many threads, where "Suggestions" are made............

Anyone questioning them or the OP not taking them often results in bashing of the OP for not taking the suggestions or bashing the person making a different suggestion.

• F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,711

To the best of my recollection you have never stated what brand of cables you use or have compared, just vague comments which do no one any good.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• nooshinjohn
    edited June 2017
    Yes I have read many threads, where "Suggestions" are made............

Anyone questioning them or the OP not taking them often results in bashing of the OP for not taking the suggestions or bashing the person making a different suggestion.

Welll... There you go again.
    The Gear... Carver "Statement" Mono-blocks, Mcintosh C2300 Arcam AVR20, Oppo UDP-203 4K Blu-ray player, Sony XBR70x850B 4k, Polk Audio Legend L800 with height modules, L400 Center Channel Polk audio AB800 "in-wall" surrounds. Marantz MM7025 stereo amp. Simaudio Moon 680d DSD

“When once a Republic is corrupted, there is no possibility of remedying any of the growing evils but by removing the corruption and restoring its lost principles; every other correction is either useless or a new evil.”— Thomas Jefferson
  • Jstas
    Jstas Posts: 14,707
    Suggesting best to someone else is not what happens.

Suggesting a good starting point for the n00b is what happens.

It should be left to the n00b to do their own research and exploration of the hobby.

The starting point suggestions will sound amazing to a n00b's inexperienced ears so, not sure what the problem is there that causes all the consternation around the suggestions. A n00b doesn't care about the nuances of differences in gear and honestly, they'll never hear them anyway because they don't have any cables to connect their gear since everyone is arguing about what is right instead of just telling the guy to forget all this nonsense and go to Radio Shack to get started.

The problem arises when people get butthurt that their favorite was not suggested or they misinterpret the intentions of the suggestion and go off on a tangent about sciency stuff that their non-sciency self has absolutely no chance of comprehending completely. It then leads them to go on and on about very complex topics while getting them wrong. Mainly because it requires having advanced engineering degrees to comprehend and be able to simply explain accurately yet the self-proclaimed "experts" invariably, at best, have a high schooler's understanding of physics and chemistry. Yet, they feel they can expound in detail about the subject at hand that Ph. D's who formulate the theories behind such things as signal transmission and transmission line affects on such things have a hard time relating to someone with minimal experience and education on the matter to be able to understand accurately.

Then people get mad and insulted when they're told to shut their pie hole and quit embarrassing themselves. But egos don't let people just drop it. Then we devolve into snaky snipes and slinging of "doodooheads" and "poopypants" because grown, fricking people can't stop acting like 10 year olds for one frickin' minute and not click on that "POST COMMENT" button before they go back re-read what they are railing on and on about in their post that should be DOA and never posted to begin with.

It's like listening to a color blind guy shout about how he hates red cars at a car show for green cars only. Only one guy is angry and stirring the pot while everyone else is wondering WTF is going on? Why's he so angry? There isn't a red car in sight! And if he hates red cars so much, how come he has no problem with the red grass the red cars are parked on?
    Expert Moron Extraordinaire

You're just jealous 'cause the voices don't talk to you!
  • nooshinjohn
    I will choose agree John, but I LOL'd at your example at the bottom... :D

• pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,481
    BINGO John^^^^^
  • tonyb
    tonyb Posts: 32,903
    I will choose agree John, but I LOL'd at your example at the bottom... :D

Ditto that....ol' John can be pretty funny when he wants to be. :D
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Acoustic zen Satori speaker cables
    Acoustic zen Matrix 2 IC's
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's
    Audio metallurgy ga-o digital cable

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • tonyb
    But the rule in writing sets guide line

Why not ban discussions of cables all together then?

In the end, they serve no real pupose to anyone but the person posting.

I would respectfully disagree with that. They serve every purpose as much as a piece of gear does. Some look at cables as just wire, others look at it as a part of their system, stuff that glues everything together with the sound signature they seek.

Audio forums should be able to discuss all things related, you can't pick and choose to ban certain topics because they don't fit your idea of whats important to audio.
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • K_M
    tonyb wrote: »

I would respectfully disagree with that. They serve every purpose as much as a piece of gear does. Some look at cables as just wire, others look at it as a part of their system, stuff that glues everything together with the sound signature they seek.

Audio forums should be able to discuss all things related, you can't pick and choose to ban certain topics because they don't fit your idea of whats important to audio.

Just as you can not pick and choose, to only allow certain views or opinions?
  • txcoastal1
    You can suggest cables or gear

• Nightfall
    Nightfall Posts: 10,042
    @Nightfall I believe people can make suggestions but then when it gets into name calling and general disregard for rules that is where the issue lies.

I get what you're saying but what I'm saying is banning subjective vs objective debates all together would curb threads getting to that point to begin with the same as banning politics and religion does.
    afterburnt wrote: »
    They didn't speak a word of English, they were from South Carolina.

Village Idiot of Club Polk
  • tonyb
    edited June 2017
    tonyb wrote: »

Just as you can not pick and choose, to only allow certain views or opinions?

We don't.....it's not even within the memberships power to delete topics/opinions/ or someones viewpoint. Like I've repeated before.....all views and opinions are welcome, just be kind and inform us how you arrived to those opinions/views and your responses will be more informative rather than argumentative.

What your really getting at, in my view anyway, is you want no rebuttal to anything, no questioning or discerning opinions. That's not a discussion in my, or anyone I know, book.

Myself and many others have been around this forum for darn close to 20 years. Many of us don't agree on a host of topics audio related, yet we coexist and dare I say, even became friends. Why is it only a handful of people every so often can't get along with the membership ?
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • afterburnt
    afterburnt Posts: 7,892
    I just ordered some cables. Polk should sell cables.
  • txcoastal1
    edited June 2017
    Just a question K_M, not here to bash, just asking for clarification. If you do, I really don't care so I will not respond

Do you use cables like these?
    Would you recommend them?....Just asking your opinion
    hps98hu4zsk4.pngv6ho8qzjaz39.jpeg

• K_M
    Just a question K_M, not here to bash, just asking for clarification. If you do, I really don't care so I will not respond

I get the humour truly do, and I truly get your point!

But at the same time, now I think that perhaps you and others, may not get what the debate truly is or what some are arguing.

Of course I would never use stuff like that, and I we have a box full in the garage from various things over the years. The wire junk box we call it.

• txcoastal1
    I truly wasn't trying to be humorous....really I wasn't

Actually curious

• txcoastal1

But at the same time, now I think that perhaps you and others, may not get what the debate truly is or what "some" are "arguing".

Of course I would never use stuff like that, and I we have a box full in the garage from various things over the years. The wire junk box we call it.

And this is why the rule may be effective

• K_M

But at the same time, now I think that perhaps you and others, may not get what the debate truly is or what "some" are "arguing".

And this is why the rule may be effective

I pmed you, in the hope to discuss this more in depth and not in the forum!
  • mhardy6647
    mhardy6647 Posts: 32,929
    afterburnt wrote: »
    I just ordered some cables. Polk should sell cables.

There was a time... :)

https://www.hifiengine.com/gallery/images/polk-‘cobra’-speaker-cable.shtml

Many "fine" (but not particularly stable) amplifiers met their demise at the metaphorical hands of Cobra Cables :wink:

Polk%20CobraCable_SAM0728sm.jpg.jpg
  • rooftop59
    rooftop59 Posts: 7,952
    I do think its telling that more (or at least as manY members have been banned because of things said in a cable debate that political and religious discussions. In fact, I never thought I would say, but the forum was more active and, well, fun when we had some of the latter...

@KenCustomerService I do think we need a rule about cable debates. That is, if there is real interest in the forum continuing to flourish instead of just being flushed...
    Living Room 2.2: Usher BE-718 "tiny dancers"; Dual DIY Dayton audio RSS210HF-4 Subs with Dayton SPA-250 amps; Arcam SA30; Musical Fidelity A308; Sony UBP-x1000es; Squeezebox Touch with Bolder Power Supply
    Game Room 5.1.4:
    Denon AVR-X4200w; Sony UBP-x700; Definitive Technology Power Monitor 900 mains, CLR-3000 center, StudioMonitor 350 surrounds, ProMonitor 800 atmos x4; Sub - Monoprice Monolith 15in THX Ultra

Bedroom 2.1
    Cambridge Azur 551r; Polk RT25i; ACI Titan Subwoofer
  • afterburnt
    afterburnt Posts: 7,892
    The forum is only as fun as you make it.