Amps shutting down

C-Man
C-Man Posts: 307
edited April 2004 in Car Audio & Electronics
So... when I turn my stereo up loud in my truck, my amps tend to turn off... Sometimes just my sub amp and sometimes both amps. I've had the install in there for a couple weeks now and it just started doing it a couple days ago. I haven't had a chance to check the grounds and all that but I just wanted to post what's going on in case anyone had this happen to them before and could shed some light on what might be happening. I figured it might be a loose ground, but the amps will shut off, then turn back on light clockwork about 5 seconds later... so it doesn't seem all that logical that it would be just a loose ground. I was also thinking maybe a faulty remote wire, but what are the odds of that? Anywho, any light that can be shed will be great. I dont' wanna go tearing anything apart that isn't necessary.
"The Big C"
Post edited by C-Man on

Comments

• Jstas
    Jstas Posts: 14,804
    edited April 2004
    Two things pop into mind.

Number one, heat. If they got hot enough to trip the protection circuitry, they will stay off until temps go below a certain level. Then the usually click back on.

Number two and what seems more likely is that you are over-drawing your battery and the amps turn off when not enough voltage is being provided to prevent damage. When the voltage level recovers, they will turn back on. Given you description of teh situation, this seems like the most likly explanation but, it could be a combination of the two or just heat.
    Expert Moron Extraordinaire

You're just jealous 'cause the voices don't talk to you!
  • C-Man
    C-Man Posts: 307
    edited April 2004
    Yeah, I thought about the battery, it's a stock Nissan battery which I'm sure isn't great, but it is brand new. I was trying to watch my cap to see how low the voltage drops but of course when I was doing that it didn't work. I have to find my meter and measure it for sure... I know it's not heat, it does it as soon as I turn the amps on, and it used to only shut them off when my bass would hit heavy, but now it's doing it at more moderate levels. Maybe it will be my alternator and I can con Nissan out of a new one since the truck is only about a month old.:)
    Thanks.

Chris
    "The Big C"
  • exalted512
    exalted512 Posts: 10,735
    edited April 2004
    yeah...sounds like some type of protection circuitry kicking in...could be a bad amp...ive heard of some amps that the protection circuitry would kick in for no reason, but since you say more than one amp is doing it, then im guessing something else is wrong
    -Cody
    Music is like candy, you have to get rid of the rappers to enjoy it