Man Cave Mini-HT Project

Options
Mikey081057
Mikey081057 Posts: 7,127
edited April 2017 in The Clubhouse
I am now committed into turning my listening room into a combination listening room Man Cave Mini 5.1 HT.

Here is what I have started with

I have a Parasound P5 and A21 that i will config via HT pass through to keep together as a standalone system. This is paired with my Usher Mini Dancer-x DMD's

There is a 50" Samsung SUHD 4K tv already as well.

My TT and Marantz SA8004 along with Directv and Bluesound Node 2 will be sources of audio and video.

I am adding:

Oppo 203 4K BDP
Marantz SR5011 AVR (received today)
SVS SB 2000 Sub to replace Polk MP2K Sub
Usher BE-616 Center channel (maybe overkill but it matches the Mini Dancers) powered by a Parasound A23 that i already have.

Trying to decide on:

Rear channel speakers. Prefer wall mount somewhat thin but may wait a bit on those ( these will be driven by the AVR or I could use another A23) Thanks to @DSkip for locating 1 and helping me spend money.

How important is matching your rear channel ht speakers to your fronts? I may eventually go ceiling mounts.

Here is how it looks today:

vm3x003esh60.jpg

Thoughts? Comments? Advice?

My New Year's resolution is 3840 × 2160

Family Room| Marantz AV7704| Usher Dancer Mini - 2 DMD Mains |Usher Dancer Mini-x DMD's Surrounds | Usher BE-616 DMD Center | SVS Ultra Rear Surrounds | Parasound Halo A21 | Parsound Halo A52+ | MIT Shotgun S3's | Dual SVS SB 4000 Ultras | Oppo UDP 203 | Directv Genie HD DVR | Samsung 75" Q8 QLED | PSAudio Stellar GCD | Mytek Brooklyn DAC+ | Lumin U1 Mini | HP Elite Slice PC | ROON'd for life |

ManCave: HT:Polk LSiM 706VR3 LSiM 703's LSiM 702's|| Marantz AV7002 AV PrePro Sunfire TGA-7401| Sony PS4 Pro| Sony PS4 Pro|SVS PB13 Ultra| Oppo UDP 203 | Music Hall MMF 5.3se TT w/ Soundsmith Carmen | Samsung 55" SUHD TV | Sony PS4

Patio | Polk Atrium 8's | Yamaha R-N303BL |

Office BlueSound Node| KEF LS50 | Peactree Nova 125SE |

Bedroom | Focal 905's | Chromecast Audio |

Garage | Polk Monitor 5B's

Closet Yamaha M80 | 2 Polk MP3K subs| Yaqin MC100B with Shuguang Treasures KT 88's & CV181Z's | Tesla E83CC's | Marantz 2252B | Marantz 2385 |Polk SDA SRS 2.3 | LSiM 705's |
Post edited by Mikey081057 on

Comments

• hochpt21
    hochpt21 Posts: 5,423
    Options
    Wow, there is a lot of goodness happening in that room!
    2 ChannelTurntable - VPI Classic 2/Ortofon 2M BlueAmplification - Rogue Audio Cronus Magnum II, Parks Audio Budgie PhonoSpeakers - GoldenEar Triton 17.2 Home TheaterDenon AVR-X3300W; Rotel RMB-1066; Klipsch RP-280F's, Klipsch RP-450C, Polk FXi3's, Polk RC60i; Dual SVS PB 2000's; BenQ HT2050; Elite Screens 120"Man CaveTurntable - Pro-Ject 2.9 Wood/Grado GoldAmplification - Dared SL2000a, McCormack DNA 0.5 DeluxeCD: Cambridge AudioSpeakers - Wharfedale Linton 85th Anniversary; LSiM 703; SDA 2A
  • Mikey081057
    Options
    I am thinking of inviting @lightman1 down for a weekend of cable management and debauchery. I suck at cable management but both of us can handle a prime steak and some debauchery.
    >:)
    My landscaping may never be the same tho.

:D

Family Room| Marantz AV7704| Usher Dancer Mini - 2 DMD Mains |Usher Dancer Mini-x DMD's Surrounds | Usher BE-616 DMD Center | SVS Ultra Rear Surrounds | Parasound Halo A21 | Parsound Halo A52+ | MIT Shotgun S3's | Dual SVS SB 4000 Ultras | Oppo UDP 203 | Directv Genie HD DVR | Samsung 75" Q8 QLED | PSAudio Stellar GCD | Mytek Brooklyn DAC+ | Lumin U1 Mini | HP Elite Slice PC | ROON'd for life |

ManCave: HT:Polk LSiM 706VR3 LSiM 703's LSiM 702's|| Marantz AV7002 AV PrePro Sunfire TGA-7401| Sony PS4 Pro| Sony PS4 Pro|SVS PB13 Ultra| Oppo UDP 203 | Music Hall MMF 5.3se TT w/ Soundsmith Carmen | Samsung 55" SUHD TV | Sony PS4

Closet Yamaha M80 | 2 Polk MP3K subs| Yaqin MC100B with Shuguang Treasures KT 88's & CV181Z's | Tesla E83CC's | Marantz 2252B | Marantz 2385 |Polk SDA SRS 2.3 | LSiM 705's |
  • BlueMDPicker
    BlueMDPicker Posts: 7,569
    Options

How important is matching your rear channel ht speakers to your fronts?

Fantastic vibe in that space I would bet. Looks great!

I have Revel mains, center and sub with ceiling mounted Klipsch fronts and rears . I can hear nothing "unmatched" running 7.1 audio of any kind. My vote would be non-important. YMMV due to room differences.
  • scubalab
    scubalab Posts: 3,101
    Options
    Dayum! That's an awesome man cave Mikey!

I'd agree with Mike (BlueMDPicker) that matching your rear speakers is not that important at all since they don't pull that much weight in HT. I'd also think the Marantz AVR would be fine powering them... unless for OCD's sake you want another A23!
  • lightman1
    lightman1 Posts: 10,776
    Options
    I am thinking of inviting @lightman1 down for a weekend of cable management and debauchery. I suck at cable management but both of us can handle a prime steak and some debauchery.
    My landscaping may never be the same tho.

Sold!
  • Mikey081057
    Options
    He just needs to be careful of these in the bushes...

yoecqtu2kqzv.png

you wouldn't want to pee this guy off

• ZLTFUL
    ZLTFUL Posts: 5,640
    Options
    Sad thing is, I have seen his cable management first hand and I wouldn't let him within 3 meters of my cables!
    "Some people find it easier to be conceited rather than correct."

"Unwad those panties and have a good time man. We're all here to help each other, no matter how it might appear." DSkip
  • Mikey081057
    Options
    Maybe I will just hire somebody to do it while we he watches us eat and drink then.

• lightman1
    Options
    ZLTFUL wrote: »
    Sad thing is, I have seen his cable management first hand and I wouldn't let him within 3 meters of my cables!

Says the guy who didn't staple the romex within code to outlet or cans. And the 14-2 looked like Twizzlers going to said outlets.
  • lightman1
    Options
    Maybe I will just hire somebody to do it while we he watches us eat and drink then.

An even better proposition.
  • Mikey081057
    Options
    and please nobody make any mention of using romex for speaker cable in this thread.

• lightman1
    Options
    and please nobody make any mention of using romex for speaker cable in this thread.

It's got copper in it. What's the difference?

*lights fuse and steps away*
  • dromunds
    dromunds Posts: 9,981
    Options
    Hey, that rug looks just like a rug I had that my former girlfriend took when we split up. Wait a minute, you didn't ......
  • EndersShadow
    EndersShadow Posts: 17,528
    edited April 2017
    Options
    lightman1 wrote: »

Says the guy who didn't staple the romex within code to outlet or cans. And the 14-2 looked like Twizzlers going to said outlets.

And lets not even talk about using a Laser Level and making sure its... LEVEL lol.... tehehehehehe.... @ZLTFUL

To your question Mikey, Rear and side surrounds aren't "as" important to timbre match. As to if your personal OCD requires them to be, I cant speak to.

As long as they are a decent size speaker (IE not 2.5" drivers) you should be fine. In-ceiling or in-walls from a decent brand would work just fine.
    "....not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted." William Bruce Cameron, Informal Sociology: A Casual Introduction to Sociological Thinking (1963)
  • txcoastal1
    txcoastal1 Posts: 13,132
    Options

Answer this question sir.

Have you ever gone into someone's attic, and drilled a hole in the header and dropped a piece of romex down the wall, and fished it out, and then added a plug for someone?
    2-channel: Modwright KWI-200 Integrated, Dynaudio C1-II Signatures
    Desktop rig: LSi7, Polk 110sub, Dayens Ampino amp, W4S DAC/pre, Sonos, JRiver
    Gear on standby: Melody 101 tube pre, Unison Research Simply Italy Integrated
    Gone to new homes: (Matt Polk's)Threshold Stasis SA12e monoblocks, Pass XA30.5 amp, Usher MD2 speakers, Dynaudio C4 platinum speakers, Modwright LS100 (voltz), Simaudio 780D DAC

erat interfectorem cesar et **** dictatorem dicere a
  • lightman1
    edited April 2017
    Options
    txcoastal1 wrote: »

Have you ever gone into someone's attic, and drilled a hole in the header and dropped a piece of romex down the wall, and fished it out, and then added a plug for someone?

That's different. He had exposed framing and was doing rough in.
    Stick that in yer pipe and smoke it, swamp-a$$......
    Codes and standards....you, of all people should know better.

*middle finger emoji*
  • txcoastal1
    Options

*middle finger emoji*

I do know that...tell that to scubalab, sorry scubalab had to throw you under the bus :):pB)
    Gone to new homes: (Matt Polk's)Threshold Stasis SA12e monoblocks, Pass XA30.5 amp, Usher MD2 speakers, Dynaudio C4 platinum speakers, Modwright LS100 (voltz), Simaudio 780D DAC

• scubalab
    scubalab Posts: 3,101
    Options
    Wait... What did(n't) I do Ron? And how did YOU find out?!? :p
  • txcoastal1
    Options
    scubalab wrote: »
    Wait... What did(n't) I do Ron? And how did YOU find out?!? :p

Pics....and it happened brother. I've sent the fun police i.e. inspectors a pic of your sub install...they liked the sub, but not the unfastened romex :o:)B) ...... :D:D:D

• txcoastal1
    edited April 2017
    Options

*middle finger emoji*

Code wise cr@ptard would be to install conduit or a metal wire mold...and yes I'm just a low voltage guy, but do know a little about code....and I see you tried to wave yourself from the true answer....
    "Have you ever dropped romex down a wall????? (in my best Trey Goudy voice)"

And sir with your insults you have earned yourself a classic stink palm...see ya at LSAF ;)

https://youtu.be/MMzd40i8TfA

• Mikey081057
    Options
    And there goes my thread...

• txcoastal1
    Options
    And there goes my thread...

Just trying to help with the basics of wiring, and screening qualified individuals who may or may not work in your home mikey ;)

• Mikey081057
    Options
    Ron you can basically kayak to my house from the gulf coast of TX.. We can use a supervisor.

a7rjenqf1lno.png

• txcoastal1
    Options
    I'd fly but my arms would get tired :|

• EndersShadow
    EndersShadow Posts: 17,528
    edited April 2017
    Options

Just use all that hot air you're constantly blowing to float over there :grin:
    "....not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted." William Bruce Cameron, Informal Sociology: A Casual Introduction to Sociological Thinking (1963)
  • Mikey081057
    Options

That might be more devastating to the Gulf than the Deepwater Horizon blowout

• txcoastal1
    Options

If I could fly, your windshield would be the first bird bomb I'd drop

• txcoastal1
    Options
    Hey Mikey
    Can you get above the ceiling in that room? Can you drop wire behind your rack?

If you can, imho would use 2 Polk vanishing series speakers in that room.

They are really good speakers, they have adjustable tweeters, have installed them several times

• Willow
    Willow Posts: 10,871
    Options
    My manscaping may never be the same tho.

Fixed it for you.
  • Mr. Sharpe
    Mr. Sharpe Posts: 1,354
    Options
    Cool room! I love my p5 and hope you enjoy yours... you should fill in the wall space with more vinyls though:)
    Home theater:
    43” Westinghouse Displayer
    Marantz UD-7007 Player
    Emotiva MC-700 Processor
    Adcom GFA-5006 Amplifier
    Parasound Zamp Amplifier
    Ethereal ESO-1 Power Conditioner
    Klipsch RC-10 Center
    Klipsch R34c Fronts
    Klipsch RB-41 Surrounds
    Polk audio PSW-505

Stereo: