Options
13»

Comments

• K_M
    K_M Posts: 1,627
    edited April 2017
    Options
    F1nut wrote: »
    Thank God they are not B&W 801's because they are everything a speaker shouldn't be.

Many will disagree with that comment.
    To many they were a standard in sound, and received great reviews.
    We have a pair in our basement system, and they are simply in another league, sound, build and quality wise, compared to ANY of our Polks.

The ones we own.

http://www.stereophile.com/floorloudspeakers/506/index.html#M66fsSfoPHpTTsdg.97

• K_M
    edited April 2017
    Options
    F1nut wrote: »
    Thank God they are not B&W 801's because they are everything a speaker shouldn't be.

I never had or heard them but a lot of people seem to like them.

There always seems to be a lot for sale though (and they usually aren't cheap).

When you make a statement like you did F1, you have a lot more credibility if you actually say why you feel the way you do. That's why a lot of people on here don't take you seriously sometimes. They just figure you are arguing simply for argument's sake.

Not me of course.

lol

So why not elaborate? What sucks about the B&W 801s? Is it all of them or just certain models? I think they made like 3 or 4 different generations didn't they?

The first generation is not as good overall. Its not bad, but we had those many years ago.
    Bass wise, it was not comparable to the Series 2 801.

But even the first generation was fairly well regarded. Many studios used it.
    It is still impressive sounding, heard on its own. Been a few years, but even though our newer version 2 beat the earlier one for sure, the earlier one was not bad at all.
  • Gatecrasher
    Gatecrasher Posts: 1,550
    Options
    heiney9 wrote: »
    F1 has made his thoughts known on 801's. I don't think everytime someone makes a comment they have to rehash the same old info.

Also not a B&W fan.

K_M, I'm flattered you think I care what you think. I'm not trying to convince you of anything.

H9

I never heard anyone say anything too bad about them. As a matter of fact, most people speak very highly of the 801s.
  • K_M
    Options
    heiney9 wrote: »
    F1 has made his thoughts known on 801's. I don't think everytime someone makes a comment they have to rehash the same old info.

Also not a B&W fan.

K_M, I'm flattered you think I care what you think. I'm not trying to convince you of anything.

H9

You care enough to reply.
    I think you just fell into the internet logic black hole, either way.
  • K_M
    edited April 2017
    Options
    txcoastal1 wrote: »
    K_M
    They are speaking in terms when they came out in the 80's.

Take a look at some of the speakers from 78-85, nothing really special in build quality back then internally/externally , from almost all the manufacturers

Kinda like saying, the best car is the ford model T....

Without implying or stating one meant back in 1920?

• txcoastal1
    txcoastal1 Posts: 13,132
    Options
    K_M wrote: »
    txcoastal1 wrote: »
    K_M
    They are speaking in terms when they came out in the 80's.

Take a look at some of the speakers from 78-85, nothing really special in build quality back then internally/externally , from almost all the manufacturers

Kinda like saying, the best car is the ford model T....

Without implying or stating one meant back in 1920?

That's exactly what you didn't say. You spoke of them in past tense terms, and in the past '80's they were deemed as audiophile speakers.

2-channel: Modwright KWI-200 Integrated, Dynaudio C1-II Signatures
    Desktop rig: LSi7, Polk 110sub, Dayens Ampino amp, W4S DAC/pre, Sonos, JRiver
    Gear on standby: Melody 101 tube pre, Unison Research Simply Italy Integrated
    Gone to new homes: (Matt Polk's)Threshold Stasis SA12e monoblocks, Pass XA30.5 amp, Usher MD2 speakers, Dynaudio C4 platinum speakers, Modwright LS100 (voltz), Simaudio 780D DAC

erat interfectorem cesar et **** dictatorem dicere a
  • lightman1
    lightman1 Posts: 10,776
    Options
    Bunny pics in your future.
  • lightman1
    Options
  • lightman1
    Options
  • lightman1
    Options
    At times, I reflect upon my life and say "Now I know why recluses do what they do."
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    In an e-mail thread I recently had with a fella that is/was selling his 3.1TL's and non-TL 2.3's. Says the 2.3's flat out kill the 3.1's.
    DHS Dave told me he has 3.1's on his bucket list which tells me they can't be bad. If I didn't have some ridiculous medical bills to pay off, I'd drive down and grab his 3.1TL's
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    Oh yeah, people around here are asking from $450-500 up to $900 for nice 3.1's.
  • tlwing
    tlwing Posts: 13
    Options
    Bit of a newbie and I’m considering a pair of 3.1’s for home stereo only. I’m using a HK 930 receiver, will that suffice ? If not any other suggestions will be appreciated.
  • tlwing
    Options
    Just noticed how old this thread is. Oh well.
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,802
    Options
    Get them, then come back for suggestions. I believe you'll like them.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• tlwing
    Options
    Well I’ve picked up the Polk 3.1’s and you were correct I do enjoy them a great deal. The game however has changed and I am currently saving for A Mac 452 and C 40 separates. I will use the Polks for awhile but new speakers will be inevitable eventually. For the first time in my life I can get whatever the hell I desire and I guarantee fun will be had by all !
  • audioluvr
    audioluvr Posts: 5,437
    Options
    tlwing wrote: »
    ... For the first time in my life I can get whatever the hell I desire and I guarantee fun will be had by all !

I'm sensing a man with a divorce in his future. Or he finally moved out of his parents basement. Either way, good luck!
    Gustard X26 Pro DAC
    Belles 21A Pre modded with Mundorf Supreme caps
    B&K M200 Sonata monoblocks refreshed and upgraded
    Polk SDA 1C's modded / 1000Va Dreadnaught
    Wireworld Silver Eclipse IC's and speaker cables
    Harman Kardon T65C w/Grado Gold. (Don't laugh. It sounds great!)

There is about a 5% genetic difference between apes and men …but that difference is the difference between throwing your own poo when you are annoyed …and Einstein, Shakespeare and Miss January. by Dr. Sardonicus
  • nooshinjohn
    nooshinjohn Posts: 25,100
    Options
    Well I’ve picked up the Polk 3.1’s and you were correct I do enjoy them a great deal. The game however has changed and I am currently saving for A Mac 452 and C 40 separates. I will use the Polks for awhile but new speakers will be inevitable eventually. For the first time in my life I can get whatever the hell I desire and I guarantee fun will be had by all !

You will be absolutely blown away by them once you upgrade the crossovers, and gobsmacked by what they do when you get high-end, quality gear to drive them. Looking for better speakers after that will become very difficult to do.
    The Gear... Carver "Statement" Mono-blocks, Mcintosh C2300 Arcam AVR20, Oppo UDP-203 4K Blu-ray player, Sony XBR70x850B 4k, Polk Audio Legend L800 with height modules, L400 Center Channel Polk audio AB800 "in-wall" surrounds. Marantz MM7025 stereo amp. Simaudio Moon 680d DSD

“When once a Republic is corrupted, there is no possibility of remedying any of the growing evils but by removing the corruption and restoring its lost principles; every other correction is either useless or a new evil.”— Thomas Jefferson
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,802
    Options
    ^ This ^
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• Mike Reeter
    Mike Reeter Posts: 4,314
    Options

You will be absolutely blown away by them once you upgrade the crossovers, and gobsmacked by what they do when you get high-end, quality gear to drive them. Looking for better speakers after that will become very difficult to do.

My wife and I recently demoed a pair of Sonus Faber Sonetto V which retail at 5K, at a dealer. They were set-up in a good space, driven by an Arcam Integrated and an Innuos Streamer.

After the first 30 seconds she looked at me and said, "why do you keep doing this to yourself, you cant afford anything that's going to sound better than what you already have"

I always hate it when she is right, especially when it pertains to Audio.

Give the 3.1's the love they deserve and you will be rewarded, rather handsomely.