ABC switch for RCA ?

Options
Is there any type of product like a preamp but without any type of volume control that can just go between 2 or 3 sources? Like an ABC switch for RCA that wont add noise or change the sound?

The Wireless Kef only has 1 set of RCA. I prefer my lumen D1 running into the speakers vs its own wireless app. It has a little more body to it. If I want to listed to my turntable, I have to physically unplug the RCA's from the speakers and put in what I want.
Klipsch The Nines, Audioquest Thunderbird Interconnect, Innuos Zen MK3 W4S recovery, Revolution Audio Labs USB & Ethernet, Border Patrol SE-I, Audioquest Niagara 5000 & Thunder, Cullen Crossover II PC's.

Comments

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 10,716
    Options
    I can get you close. I have one of these you can try...
    http://schiit.com/products/sys
  • erniejade
    erniejade Posts: 6,315
    Options
    Only 50$ and passive so I can switch my Schiit. Sounds reasonable to me!
    Klipsch The Nines, Audioquest Thunderbird Interconnect, Innuos Zen MK3 W4S recovery, Revolution Audio Labs USB & Ethernet, Border Patrol SE-I, Audioquest Niagara 5000 & Thunder, Cullen Crossover II PC's.
  • tonyb
    tonyb Posts: 32,906
    Options
    My original LA-100 doesn't have a volume control, per say. Which makes it great for the purpose your describing. Maybe you should have kept the LA-150, set the volume to a certain point and used your individual volume controls on the digital gadgets.

I might be more inclined to get a tubed pre again anyway, switching sources and adding a little warmth is pretty much a characteristic of all tubed pre's. These other "switch box" type of devices might degrade the signal more so than help it out. One needs to try though because obviously quality would vary. Your basically looking for a SS pre without a volume control, and I don't see how that benefits digital playback.

Just my opinion of course, but if a switch box is up your alley, do your due diligence and research which would least influence your sound.

BTW, We still need to hook up bro.
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Acoustic zen Satori speaker cables
    Acoustic zen Matrix 2 IC's
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's
    Audio metallurgy ga-o digital cable

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • tonyb
    edited April 2017
    Options
    The problem with those devices Professor, is now your relying on a 10-40 buck device and it's analog output stage. How good can it be, right ?

I dunno man, I understand the implied value to these devices, but for me.....putting a cheap device like those in the link between quality pieces of gear just seems to work against the principles of good sound quality. Just my opinion of course, Brian is certainly capable of deciding which he wants to try out.

Maybe it won't matter much, as much as I contend they will, but the only way to know is to try. For the entry price, worth the try I guess.
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • erniejade
    Options
    I figure 50$ for the Schiit might be worth a shot. Or look for a Dared. Or just ditch the turntable. If I do that, it would solve my problem.

• muncybob
    muncybob Posts: 2,972
    Options
    Or just ditch the turntable :'(
    Yep, my name really is Bob.
    Parasound HCA1500A(indoor sound) and HCA1000(outdoor sound), Dynaco PAS4, Denon DP1200 w/Shure V15 Type V and Jico SAS stylus, Marantz UD7007, Polk L600, Rythmik L12 sub.
  • EndersShadow
    EndersShadow Posts: 17,534
    edited April 2017
    Options
    NM.... not applicable here... carry on
    "....not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted." William Bruce Cameron, Informal Sociology: A Casual Introduction to Sociological Thinking (1963)
  • mhardy6647
    mhardy6647 Posts: 33,046
    Options
    tonyb wrote: »
    The problem with those devices Professor, is now your relying on a 10-40 buck device and it's analog output stage. How good can it be, right ?

I dunno man, I understand the implied value to these devices, but for me.....putting a cheap device like those in the link between quality pieces of gear just seems to work against the principles of good sound quality. Just my opinion of course, Brian is certainly capable of deciding which he wants to try out.

Maybe it won't matter much, as much as I contend they will, but the only way to know is to try. For the entry price, worth the try I guess.

They're passive. Just wires a switch and a handful of RCA jacks. I don't think they're any "worse" than the Schitty or Emotival devices. It's testable -- but that's a road better left untrod in audiophile circles. ;)

There are also better quality but similar devices -- few if any in current production, though.

I use one of these and like it a lot. Best thing is it allows some flexible dubbing options for one recording device.

24678440802_b930d2e2f1_b.jpg009 by Mark Hardy, on Flickr

I also like (and have one of) these -- this is more focused on interconnecting tape decks and sources, but is pretty decent quality and quite inexpensive even on eBay.

https://www.hifiengine.com/manual_library/dbx/200.shtml

DSC_4341psfSmall.jpg
    dbx200r.jpg
    (stock images from teh webs)

And of course there's always the nuclear option - it does require acquiring or fabricating some 1/4" unbalanced (two conductor) terminated cables, though.

24770045716_cc0c761021_b.jpg011 by Mark Hardy, on Flickr
    24770042506_9c0f87c543_b.jpg014 by Mark Hardy, on Flickr

All of the above are strictly passive switchboxes.

I'd like to think that everyone has his or her own perception of value and of fitness for purpose.

I mean, yeah, teflon insulated wires and Vampire (or whatever's fashionable these days) jacks and mil-spec switches are cool, if the budget permits -- DIY will help a lot in terms of the value proposition, from my perspective (and FWIW).

:)
  • tonyb
    Options
    erniejade wrote: »
    I figure 50$ for the Schiit might be worth a shot. Or look for a Dared. Or just ditch the turntable. If I do that, it would solve my problem.

Indeed....maybe follow Ray's thread on ditching the TT. Mind you, he spent some coin doing it though to his satisfaction.
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • ALL212
    ALL212 Posts: 1,556
    Options
    Already built one - 3 in and 3 out, just RCA's and switches.

spy9i7sxpg52.jpg
    Aaron
    Enabler Extraordinaire
  • mhardy6647
    Options
    ^^^ That'll work.

I dunno, tho' -- ALL212's such a hack.

;)
  • mhardy6647
    edited April 2017
    Options
    oh, wait -- turntable.

mmmm.

Here's the thing.
    The cartridge-level output signal of a turntable is pretty darned fragile.
    That output shouldn't be run through a switch box. It should run through the shortest-possible, low-capacitance cables to the preamp/EQ, to minimize signal degradation.

If one's using a tt with a built-in phono preamp, the output of that preamp is a standard line-level signal and is (ahem, should be) plenty robust to feed through a switch box.

As would be the output of a standandalone phono preamp/EQ.

The output of an SUT wouldn't be good fodder for a switchbox, either. The output of an SUT (step-up transformer) being "driven" by a LOMC (low-output moving coil) cartridge is more or less comparable to the output of an MM or MI ("magnetic") cartridge (on the order of a few millivolts).

This has been a public service announcement :#
    (and my apologies if this all was glaringly obvious!)
  • erniejade
    Options
    I have a Jolida D9 phono preamp. Denon DL160 cart.
  • mhardy6647
    Options
    ahh -- OK, comin' out of the phono preamp stage should be a more-or-less standard line-level signal. Should be OK for any passive switchbox, although the output impedance could be a factor.

It's always :) a "best practice" to keep interconnects short to minimize HF rolloff.
  • erniejade
    Options
    Quick thank you to @rednedtugent for the Schiit! I really cannot hear a difference between the lumin going direct to the KEF or going to the Schiit to the kef. I did a google search for the Schiit sys and found out it's not just me that thinks this. Completely passive and lets the sound come through just as the original if you keep it at 100%. This little unit is the Schiit! I can see why it has a lot of good reviews and again, thanks to @rednedtugent for this wonderful little unit.

For those who are looking to go direct from a CD player or dac to an amp, this little unit works well.