MagniFi Mini soundbar making humming noise when in standby or off

Hello, my new MagniFi Mini sound-bar makes a high frequency humming noise when the TV is off and the unit is on standby or off (this noise not loud but definitely audible when the TV and sound are off, enough to be distracting when sitting on the couch). The sound-bar is hooked up to a Samsung UN60KU6290 with the provided HDMI cable.

Is there anything I should try to remedy this?

thanks!

Comments

• txcoastal1
    txcoastal1 Posts: 13,124
    Does it hum with only the power supply hooked up?
    2-channel: Modwright KWI-200 Integrated, Dynaudio C1-II Signatures
    Desktop rig: LSi7, Polk 110sub, Dayens Ampino amp, W4S DAC/pre, Sonos, JRiver
    Gear on standby: Melody 101 tube pre, Unison Research Simply Italy Integrated
    Gone to new homes: (Matt Polk's)Threshold Stasis SA12e monoblocks, Pass XA30.5 amp, Usher MD2 speakers, Dynaudio C4 platinum speakers, Modwright LS100 (voltz), Simaudio 780D DAC

erat interfectorem cesar et **** dictatorem dicere a
  • motorhead43026
    motorhead43026 Posts: 3,892
    edited March 2017
    Mine does the same thing, but I have to be close to it to really notice. Yes, it is only with the power supply hooked up. I have 2 of them, and both do the same.
    2 channel: Anthem 225 Integrated amp; Parasound Ztuner; TechnicsTT SL1350; Vincent PHO-8 phono pre; Marantz CD6005 spinner; Polk SDA2BTL's; LAT International speaker cables, ZU Mission IC's and power cables all into a PS Audio Dectet Power center.

Other; M10 series II, M7C's, Hafler XL600 amp, RB-980BX, Parasound HCA-1500 amp , P5 preamp, all in storage. All vintage Polk have had crossover rebuilds and tweeter upgrades.

The best way to predict the future is to invent it.

It is imperative that we recognize that an opinion is not a fact.

Imagine making politics your entire personality.
  • heiney9
    heiney9 Posts: 25,053
    Is that what I hear? I guess mine does it too. It's faint, but once you hear it, you can't unhear it. Only when everything is silent. I was trying to find the source of that high pitched whine last night. Thought it might have been my Dish TV receiver box.

H9
    "Appreciation of audio is a completely subjective human experience. Measurements can provide a measure of insight, but are no substitute for human judgment. Why are we looking to reduce a subjective experience to objective criteria anyway? The subtleties of music and audio reproduction are for those who appreciate it. Differentiation by numbers is for those who do not".--Nelson Pass Pass Labs XA25 | EE Avant Pre | EE Mini Max Supreme DAC | MIT Shotgun S1 | Pangea AC14SE MKII | Legend L600 | BlueSound Node 3 - Tubes add soul!
  • Artem
    Artem Posts: 4
    Yes, noise is only there with power supply hooked up. If I pull power, the noise is gone. I tried swapping power bars or going direct to receptacle on wall, this did not solve the problem.
  • motorhead43026
    If these all do it I don't think it can be considered a problem, more like the nature of the beast. I can't hear mine unless I am close and the room is totally silent, which it never is.
    2 channel: Anthem 225 Integrated amp; Parasound Ztuner; TechnicsTT SL1350; Vincent PHO-8 phono pre; Marantz CD6005 spinner; Polk SDA2BTL's; LAT International speaker cables, ZU Mission IC's and power cables all into a PS Audio Dectet Power center.

Other; M10 series II, M7C's, Hafler XL600 amp, RB-980BX, Parasound HCA-1500 amp , P5 preamp, all in storage. All vintage Polk have had crossover rebuilds and tweeter upgrades.

• msg
    msg Posts: 9,309
    This would probably get to me, as well once I knew it was there.
    Maybe a switching power management center could be a solution? Have the soundbar in one of the Switched outlets that powers up when the master Always On device is powered? Like the TV, perhaps?
    I disabled signatures.
  • heiney9
    heiney9 Posts: 25,053
    I should clarify mine is more of a high pitched whine, very low level. I will check again tonight. I may be mistaken as it might be something else entirely.

I don't get a "hum" at all. The whine is only noticeable when dead silent or very near the unit, not from the listening position under normal circumstances.

H9

P.s. I have heard power supplies emit a very low level high pitched whine before.

P.s.s. I love this soundbar. Pretty much perfect for my situation. Much better than I expected it to be based on size and price.

"Appreciation of audio is a completely subjective human experience. Measurements can provide a measure of insight, but are no substitute for human judgment. Why are we looking to reduce a subjective experience to objective criteria anyway? The subtleties of music and audio reproduction are for those who appreciate it. Differentiation by numbers is for those who do not".--Nelson Pass Pass Labs XA25 | EE Avant Pre | EE Mini Max Supreme DAC | MIT Shotgun S1 | Pangea AC14SE MKII | Legend L600 | BlueSound Node 3 - Tubes add soul!
  • Artem
    I agree, it's more of a "whine" than a "hum".
  • motorhead43026
    It is a high pitched whine

• motorhead43026
    I had mine plugged into the wall originally. I freed up some space on my PS Dectec power center and plugged the mini into it. The high pitched whine appears to have left the building.

• txcoastal1
    Great info @motorhead43026

Since I own 3-dectec's and they do at the least part of what they are designed for...tfs
    Gone to new homes: (Matt Polk's)Threshold Stasis SA12e monoblocks, Pass XA30.5 amp, Usher MD2 speakers, Dynaudio C4 platinum speakers, Modwright LS100 (voltz), Simaudio 780D DAC

• Artem
    Good to know about the power issue. It's a shame though that PS Dectec power center costs twice as much as the MagniFi Mini :P

Do you know of any other power supply units that could resolve this, for much less $$$?
  • txcoastal1