Best 12" Sub for under $200

Options
AustinKP
AustinKP Posts: 861
edited May 2004 in Car Subwoofer Talk
Any suggestions? I'm looking for the best 12" sub/box combo, or total cost of a sub and separate box. I want the best SQ sub I can get that still gets loud and hits hard. I hear the MM12 is awesome and it's on sale for $179. Is there anything else I should be looking at? Is the Kicker CompVR any good? Alpine Type R? The IDMax and Adire Brahma's are pretty expensive, aren't they? Where would I find prices on those?

Secondly, what's the best amp (also, under $200 if possible) to drive that one sub? Thanks guys,
-Austin
http://www.silverdragon.com/punkie/cybertusk/net.idiot.html - Read it, know it

Alpine 9815
Polk MM6's in custom fiberglass door pods
Ascendant Audio Atlas 12
HiFonics Zeus ZX6400 - 85x2 + 350x1
2 Gallons SecondSkin Spectrum V.2
Post edited by AustinKP on

Comments

• TrappedUnder Ice
    TrappedUnder Ice Posts: 975
    edited April 2004
    Options
    IDQ 12 or Adire shiva 12... 2 some of the best sq subs for the dollar:cool:
  • exalted512
    exalted512 Posts: 10,735
    edited April 2004
    Options
    $180 for a mm124 in a box is a steal
    the brahma runs around 330 and the max runs at 300
    -Cody
    Music is like candy, you have to get rid of the rappers to enjoy it
  • PoweredByDodge
    PoweredByDodge Posts: 4,185
    edited April 2004
    Options
    take the mm124 for 180 in the box... and go get a 500 x 1 at 4 ohms bridged amp -- try profile california or hifonics and u might be able to swing 500w for that price.
    The Artist formerly known as PoweredByDodge
  • AustinKP
    edited April 2004
    Options
    Originally posted by TrappedUnder Ice
    IDQ 12 or Adire shiva 12... 2 some of the best sq subs for the dollar:cool:
    But can I get these for under $200? If so, where?

Thanks guys, you're awesome. How long do you think I have before these subs sell out? I'm hoping by the beginning of the summer to get one... if they'll sell out before then, I *might* be able to convince my wife to up the time frame a little sooner ;)

Alpine 9815
    Ascendant Audio Atlas 12
  • michael_w
    michael_w Posts: 2,813
    edited April 2004
    Options
    shiva ... u can buy them off the site but there are some dealers of adire in different places..
  • neomagus00
    neomagus00 Posts: 3,899
    edited April 2004
    Options
    at that price, i'd begin negotiations w/ the wife now...
    It's not good, very fundamentally simply not good. - geolemon

"Its not good enough until we have real-time fearmongering. I want my fear mongered as it happens." - Shizelbs
  • AustinKP
    edited April 2004
    Options
    Originally posted by neomagus00
    at that price, i'd begin negotiations w/ the wife now...
    Dude, I'd already have it bought and installed, but her birthday is this Friday and she wants a new serger sewing machine, ~$2-300. It's going to take some sweet-talking... maybe next week. I'm just afraid they'll sell out quickly, then I'll be SOL.

Alpine 9815
    Ascendant Audio Atlas 12
  • AustinKP
    edited April 2004
    Options
    Originally posted by PoweredByDodge
    take the mm124 for 180 in the box... and go get a 500 x 1 at 4 ohms bridged amp -- try profile california or hifonics and u might be able to swing 500w for that price.
    Ok, I've been checking some prices, and that profile California CA800 $115 is a two channel that can be bridged to 600 W RMS x 1 @ 4 ohms. First, that means I can connect a 4 ohm speaker and not an 8 since the amp would "see" 4 ohms when bridged, right?

Second, what kind of quality amp is Profile? A Hifonics Nemesis NX600 can be bridged to 600x1 for $229. Is it worth the extra $114 for an amp just for my sub? How much difference will I hear?

Alpine 9815
    Ascendant Audio Atlas 12
  • Jstas
    Jstas Posts: 14,713
    edited April 2004
    Options
    There is nothing wrong with that Profile amp. It's a solid amp that should power your speakers ust fine. If you want to stay under 200 bucks and don't mind the slight flashiness of the Profile amp then go for it. You won't be dissappointed.
    Expert Moron Extraordinaire

You're just jealous 'cause the voices don't talk to you!
  • AsSiMiLaTeD
    AsSiMiLaTeD Posts: 11,722
    edited April 2004
    Options
    I'd go for the MM12 used for about $150...on Ebay...
  • MarkyBoy
    MarkyBoy Posts: 8
    edited April 2004
    Options
    i just got my MM12 for $129.99 + $34.95 for a four year warranty at Fry's Electronics. it's an awesome deal. i had the MM10, which was only $99.99, two days before and i blew it on the second day, so i returned it and upgraded.
    '02 NISSAN Sentra SER SpecV

:: PANASONIC CQ-C5310U :: POLK/MOMO MM12 (2):: ROCKFORD FOSGATE FNP 2614 6.5" Components :: ROCKFORD FOSGATE FRC4306 6.5" 3-ways :: ROCKFORD FOSGATE 601s :: ROCKFORD FOSGATE 301X :: ROCKFORD FOSGATE CPC10-03 Capacitor :: DIRECTED AUDIO 204 X-Over :: AUDIOBAHN AVM56T LCD :: ABSOLUTE DVD550 ::
  • AustinKP
    edited April 2004
    Options
    Wow! Is that the normal price, or are you getting some kind of employee discount? What were you doing that blew the MM10 in 2 days?

Alpine 9815
    Ascendant Audio Atlas 12
  • TrappedUnder Ice
    edited April 2004
    Options
    Adire Shiva directly from adire is 129 + ship

can get idq 12 from many on line dealers for 129+

or sounddomain who is authorized for 169
  • AustinKP
    edited April 2004
    Options
    How do the Shiva and the IDQ compare to the MM12? SQ vs. SPL?

Alpine 9815
    Ascendant Audio Atlas 12
  • MarkyBoy
    edited April 2004
    Options
    the prices were sales that last only for a day or two. the regular sticker price was 399.99. and no i'm not an employee. as for the 10, the gain was too high since my amp over powers the sub. as for the 12, i just turned down the bass level on my EQ just to be on the safe side.

:: PANASONIC CQ-C5310U :: POLK/MOMO MM12 (2):: ROCKFORD FOSGATE FNP 2614 6.5" Components :: ROCKFORD FOSGATE FRC4306 6.5" 3-ways :: ROCKFORD FOSGATE 601s :: ROCKFORD FOSGATE 301X :: ROCKFORD FOSGATE CPC10-03 Capacitor :: DIRECTED AUDIO 204 X-Over :: AUDIOBAHN AVM56T LCD :: ABSOLUTE DVD550 ::
  • exalted512
    edited April 2004
    Options
    Originally posted by AustinKP
    How do the Shiva and the IDQ compare to the MM12? SQ vs. SPL?
    not quite sure
    the shiva will have better sq
    i would say the idq slightly edges out the mm124 in sq as well...but not by much, if at all
    theyre 2 different sounding subs, so it depends on what ya like
    the mm124 will get louder because it can handle more watts
    -Cody
  • TrappedUnder Ice
    edited April 2004
    Options
    Heck...at least you can put the shiva and IDQ in a ported box...and get much better low end extension than you will with the momo.
  • goingganzo
    goingganzo Posts: 2,793
    edited April 2004
    Options
    av12 from stryke audio 23 mm of x max and it can pound and has good sq
  • flashback
    flashback Posts: 9
    edited April 2004
    Options
    hey i just thought i might add this in.... so i pick up my Fry's add yesterday... skim through it... and BAM The Polk MM12 for $99...... ya.... thats right 99 bucks, i hauled **** over there and got me one.. looks hot... but i can't hook my amp back up until i get my capacitor back from Monster Cable.... i mean i don't care what this sub sounds like compared to others... for 99 bucks flat from a local place you definitely can't go wrong
    Bumpin a MM12 w/ a Rockford Fosgate 500s
  • AustinKP
    edited April 2004
    Options
    DOES ANYBODY LIVE NEAR FRY'S THAT CAN SEND ME ONE??? I'll pay for shipping and everything... You would be my best friend for life!
    -Edit- Where did you get that one? I just called Fry's in Phoenix and they said it was $149 and that the prices should be the same everywhere? Problem is, I live in UT. They don't have a Fry's here :mad:

Alpine 9815
    Ascendant Audio Atlas 12
  • flashback
    edited April 2004
    Options
    I live in Dallas

well i can tell your right off looking at my fry's ad here that it says $99 and i definitely have one sitting in my closet that i bought yesterday for $99...i am overloaded with work for about the next week or so , so i can't go buy one and send it to you, but heres all the info i can give you straight from the box on Fry's Price tag

Polk MM-12 $399.99
    Polk MM-12
    12" MOMO SUBWOOFER
    500W RMS. 1000W PEAK
    0.88 CU. FT. ENCLOSURE
    3450973(i believe thats fry's part #)

i guess its possible for fry's prices to vary in different locations, best bet if you don't have any friends in Dallas, call up fry's directly and ask them if arrangements could be made, i got mine from their Plano store. If the deal goes on through middle of next week or so when i'm not so flooded with stuff i can try and help you out with shipping or something... but i can tell you right off the box is HUGE and it weighs a LOT.... ur prolly looking at arround 40 bucks shipping(random guess)
  • AustinKP
    edited April 2004
    Options
    I called Fry's and asked if they'd send it. They won't, neither will they take phone orders. They said that the sale for $149 ended Tues. I'll send a check today if I can. That's just an incredible price. Just to make sure, the sub that you got, was the 12" momo sub that comes WITH the box w/ that plexiglass window, right? Did you get that 4 year warranty?

Alpine 9815
    Ascendant Audio Atlas 12
  • flashback
    edited April 2004
    Options
    yes, i got the mm12 which is the 12" WITH the plexi glass enclosure.. 99 bucks, if i had a scanner i would scan in hte ad.... but just call the Plano TX Fry's electronics and they will verify this price for you

i didn't go with the 4 year warranty though, i would be cautious about this though, i'm not sure we're talking about hte same exact thing, but what hte sales man told me was
    $20
    Will replace as long as 'you didn't blow the hell out of it' for 1 year
    After that for hte next 3 years 'we'll try to repair it'

that just didn't sound like it was worth my money

i mean i guess its not too bad of an idea, but polk's 3 year warranty is good enough for me... by the end of hte 3 years i'll be wanting somehting bigger and better anyways and even if i blew mine, and then they decided to 'replace it with a 'similar' sub, i'd be getting some cheap $99 sony or something

but its up to you if you think its worth it
  • AustinKP
    edited April 2004
    Options
    Oh yeah, I forgot that they come with a 3 year warranty from Polk. Man, I need to figure out a way to get one, that's such an awesome deal. Even if it costs $40 to send it, that's still way cheaper than I can get it anywhere else.

Alpine 9815
    Ascendant Audio Atlas 12
  • twmazinger
    twmazinger Posts: 8
    edited April 2004
    Options
    IF you live in Socal and want to buy the MM-12 for $160, contact me ASAP~!!!
  • exalted512
    edited April 2004
    Options
    $20 more from sounddomain and get a 3 yr warranty...20 bucks for an extended 3 yr warranty isnt bad at all...
    -Cody
  • MarkyBoy
    edited April 2004
    Options
    Originally posted by flashback
    yes, i got the mm12 which is the 12" WITH the plexi glass enclosure.. 99 bucks, if i had a scanner i would scan in hte ad.... but just call the Plano TX Fry's electronics and they will verify this price for you

i didn't go with the 4 year warranty though, i would be cautious about this though, i'm not sure we're talking about hte same exact thing, but what hte sales man told me was
    $20
    Will replace as long as 'you didn't blow the hell out of it' for 1 year
    After that for hte next 3 years 'we'll try to repair it'

that just didn't sound like it was worth my money

i mean i guess its not too bad of an idea, but polk's 3 year warranty is good enough for me... by the end of hte 3 years i'll be wanting somehting bigger and better anyways and even if i blew mine, and then they decided to 'replace it with a 'similar' sub, i'd be getting some cheap $99 sony or something

but its up to you if you think its worth it

i went to fry's today to get my 30 bucks back since it went on sale again. i also returned the warranty after what you said. thanks for the advice. i also bought a 2nd MM12 hehe!

• AustinKP
    edited April 2004
    Options
    MarkyBoy - are they on sale for $99 again? PLEASE let me know! :D Anyone else seen them for that cheap? I'm getting antsy here...

Alpine 9815
    Ascendant Audio Atlas 12
  • MarkyBoy
    edited April 2004
    Options
    the sale ended yesterday and i was told that i picked up the last one. but i'm sure they'll have the sale again, it's just a matter of time.

• AustinKP
    edited April 2004
    Options
    WHY does this always happen to me? :( I find out as soon as it's over...

Alpine 9815
    Ascendant Audio Atlas 12