My Vintage Klipsch Speakers ???

Options
2»

Comments

• agfrost
    agfrost Posts: 2,421
    Options
    mhardy6647 wrote: »
    Oh, and the L-pads look like they might have cadmium oxide (the thick coat of white powder) on them -- moderately nasty stuff requiring some care while handling.

https://rais.ornl.gov/tox/profiles/cadmium.html

I likes me some cadmium! Scrape it over scrambled eggs when I can't get hold of fresh truffles. *

*A very bad idea. I believe my chemical supply company refers to Cd salts as 'devils'. They can be handled, but care is a must as the illustrious Dr. Hardy has pointed out. To recap: Heavy metal: Fine for listening, not fine as breakfast condiment or dust inhalation.
    Jay
    SDA 2BTL * Musical Fidelity A5cr amp * Oppo BDP-93 * Modded Adcom GDA-600 DAC * Rythmik F8 (x2)
    Micro Seiki DQ-50 * Hagerman Cornet 2 Phono * A hodgepodge of cabling * Belkin PF60
    Preamp rotation: Krell KSL (SCompRacer recapped) * Manley Shrimp * PS Audio 5.0
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 10,716
    Options
    hold the line. I have seen these. They are satellite speakers for an organ I saw on TV.
    t8ztyvwvl69h.jpg
  • nooshinjohn
    nooshinjohn Posts: 25,102
    Options
    Then they got kicked by Mr. Ed...
    The Gear... Carver "Statement" Mono-blocks, Mcintosh C2300 Arcam AVR20, Oppo UDP-203 4K Blu-ray player, Sony XBR70x850B 4k, Polk Audio Legend L800 with height modules, L400 Center Channel Polk audio AB800 "in-wall" surrounds. Marantz MM7025 stereo amp. Simaudio Moon 680d DSD

“When once a Republic is corrupted, there is no possibility of remedying any of the growing evils but by removing the corruption and restoring its lost principles; every other correction is either useless or a new evil.”— Thomas Jefferson
  • TennMan
    TennMan Posts: 1,264
    Options
    Don't forget guys - one man's junk is another man's treasure.
    • SDA 2BTL · Sonicaps · Mills resistors · RDO-198s · New gaskets · H-nuts · Erse inductors · BH5 · Dynamat
    • Crossover upgrades by westmassguy
    • Marantz 1504 AVR (front speaker pre-outs to Adcom 555)
    • Adcom GFA-555 amp · Upgrades & speaker protection added by OldmanSRS
    • Pioneer DV-610AV DVD/CD player
    • SDA CRS+ · Hidden away in the closet
  • nooshinjohn
    Options
    TennMan wrote: »
    Agreed... just saw an episode of Hoarders and these speakers were in it somewhere.
    The Gear... Carver "Statement" Mono-blocks, Mcintosh C2300 Arcam AVR20, Oppo UDP-203 4K Blu-ray player, Sony XBR70x850B 4k, Polk Audio Legend L800 with height modules, L400 Center Channel Polk audio AB800 "in-wall" surrounds. Marantz MM7025 stereo amp. Simaudio Moon 680d DSD

“When once a Republic is corrupted, there is no possibility of remedying any of the growing evils but by removing the corruption and restoring its lost principles; every other correction is either useless or a new evil.”— Thomas Jefferson
  • mhardy6647
    mhardy6647 Posts: 33,049
    Options
    They're not pretty -- but they're not junk, either.
  • txcoastal1
    txcoastal1 Posts: 13,132
    Options
    TennMan wrote: »

Yeah John, you don't like it when people make fun of your junk :#

2-channel: Modwright KWI-200 Integrated, Dynaudio C1-II Signatures
    Desktop rig: LSi7, Polk 110sub, Dayens Ampino amp, W4S DAC/pre, Sonos, JRiver
    Gear on standby: Melody 101 tube pre, Unison Research Simply Italy Integrated
    Gone to new homes: (Matt Polk's)Threshold Stasis SA12e monoblocks, Pass XA30.5 amp, Usher MD2 speakers, Dynaudio C4 platinum speakers, Modwright LS100 (voltz), Simaudio 780D DAC

erat interfectorem cesar et **** dictatorem dicere a
  • nooshinjohn
    Options
    My son's foot is over two inches long...

• Frzninvt
    Frzninvt Posts: 15
    edited March 2017
    Options
    These are DIY creations, PWK never used L-pads. Klipsch components in a homebuilt cabinet. You already posted this on the Klipsch forum and got the same answer they are DIY.
  • Gatecrasher
    Gatecrasher Posts: 1,550
    edited March 2017
    Options
    They look lie they are from the 1950s. My Dad made his own cabinets back then and used University components. They consisted of a large woofer and a horned tweeter too.

I think a lot of the manufacturers offered bare components to builders back then.

Those cabinets look like they may possibly have been manufactured for the home builder market or the builder made them from plans in an audiophile periodical from the time or something like that. My Dad made his bass-reflex cabinets from plans in a magazine.

I do know one thing. My father's speakers sounded fantastic. Especially with his Eico tube amp he built in kit form and his old Garrard turntable and Tandberg reel to reel.

Back then there was a lot less off the shelf audio equipment for the budget-minded audiophile. This was before all the Japanese electronics were available too. Those speakers may be kind of ugly by today's standards but I bet they sounded pretty-good when they were new.

• leftwinger57
    leftwinger57 Posts: 2,917
    Options
    The large bottom 12"krl9aie5ccmv.jpg
    bb91j8xeuimf.jpg
    drivers look exactly the same as mine in my Rectilinear 3 Low Boys. I never heard Klipsch going w/ any other brand x-over A-type obviously Klipsch so it's so kind of Frankenklipsch
    2chl- Adcom GFA- 555-Onkyo P-3150v pre/amp- JVC-QL-A200 tt- Denon 1940 ci cdp- Adcom GFS-6 -Modded '87 SDA 2Bs - Dynamat Ext.- BH-5- X-Overs VR-3, RDO-194 tweeters, Larry's Rings, Speakon/Neutrik I/C- Cherry stain tops Advent Maestros,Ohm model E

H/T- Toshiba au40" flat- Yamaha RX- V665 avr- YSD-11 Dock- I-Pod- Klipsch #400HD Speaker set-

Bdrm- Nikko 6065 receiver- JBL -G-200s--Pioneer 305 headphones--Sony CE375-5 disc
  • mhardy6647
    mhardy6647 Posts: 33,049
    edited March 2017
    Options
    In their early days, Klipsch used many different drivers. Early on, they used pretty nice EV and University drivers -- but PWK was largely of the opinion that the drivers didn't matter much, and they moved towards cheaper & cheaper, "commodity" drivers as the years wore on.

Klipsch never used really good drivers -- Altec, JBL, stuff of that ilk. They could have, but didn't.