Telefunken 5080-0406/G73R/12AU7 tube

Options
snow
snow Posts: 4,329
edited February 2017 in For Sale (FS) Classifieds
For sale is a single Telefunken 5080-0406/G73R/12AU7 tube made for HP this is a very rare tube far more so then the 802S is. 5080-0406 is the part number HP used for the G73R tube it was made for only two companys Agilent Technology and Hewlett-Packard the Agilent Technology ones had G73R on them instead of 5080-0406 From what I understand Amperex also made this 12AU7 variant but this is a Telefunken tube with the Diamond in the bottom it has a small spot where the coating has came off. It tests in the NOS range at 3900/3900 where 1560 is minimum good on my tester NOS 12AU7's start at around 3500.

Here is what Brent Jesse has to say about it on his site.

As rare as the famous ECC802S, these are the elusive black shield coated avionics/aircraft grade SELECTED TUBE made only for Agilent Technology and Hewlett-Packard. The G73R part number and RFI/EMI black coat shielding indicated the very highest grading. This indicates exhaustive after-market testing for low noise, uniform output, freedom from microphonics or physical defects, long heater life, and even, uniform cathode emission. Hickok tested, and then ear tested in a preamp! The finest Telefunken diamond mark smoothplates, NOS, is what these rare tubes are based upon. These have the G73R printed or hand lettered on the outside black shield coating, and were only available as spare parts for Agilent or H-P equipment. Critical use in hospital or aerospace test equipment demanded tubes with super low noise, and tightly controlled output, and these beauties deliver! The ultimate tube for tube mics and mic preamps! Very fine, very rare tubes, in great demand, especially this smoothplate version. All are the real deal, with the diamond mark in the bottom glass. These are rare matched pairs, with transconductance tightly controlled internally and from tube to tube. Incredibly accurate, the amazing sound image emerges out of a dead quiet background.

$150.00 + shipping

lqjq9d9zy62e.jpg
gdskuqe9a043.jpg
m523atqx5chy.jpg

Regards Snow
Well, I just pulled off the impossible by doing a double-blind comparison all by myself, purely by virtue of the fact that I completely and stupidly forgot what I did last. I guess that getting old does have its advantages after all :D

Comments

• JuanR
    JuanR Posts: 718
    Options
    ONLY 1!

I can't listen to stereo this way...I need a twin for this.

I've heard these are very GREAT! but can't prove it unless I get 2 and throw them in my rig for testing...

I wish you had 2..................
  • snow
    Options
    Yeah me too :)
    Well, I just pulled off the impossible by doing a double-blind comparison all by myself, purely by virtue of the fact that I completely and stupidly forgot what I did last. I guess that getting old does have its advantages after all :D
  • heiney9
    heiney9 Posts: 25,092
    edited February 2017
    Options
    I see them FS on ebay occasionally. One could buy this and find a mate. I still have a 1948 Tung Sol 12AU7, clear glass, black plate, vertical D getter tube I have been searching for a mate. Still no dice and it's been 3 years. Pretty much unobtanium as they were very, very few made.

GLWS

H9
    "Appreciation of audio is a completely subjective human experience. Measurements can provide a measure of insight, but are no substitute for human judgment. Why are we looking to reduce a subjective experience to objective criteria anyway? The subtleties of music and audio reproduction are for those who appreciate it. Differentiation by numbers is for those who do not".--Nelson Pass Pass Labs XA25 | EE Avant Pre | EE Mini Max Supreme DAC | MIT Shotgun S1 | Pangea AC14SE MKII | Legend L600 | BlueSound Node 3 - Tubes add soul!
  • snow
    Options
    I have decided to keep this tube for now I am getting a little tube headphone amp that uses a single 12AU7 tube so this will work for that.

I am up going to be offering up some more tubes soon in the next week or two including some NOS Amperex Bugle Boy 6DJ8 tubes so keep an eye out :)

Regards Dan
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    Hey! That is what I thought to do w/ it.
    Should be great!
  • WagnerRC
    WagnerRC Posts: 2,139
    Options
    I will be watching.
  • snow
    Options
    Just listed some EL34s :)

Regards Snow
  • MIKEANDIKE
    Options
    Hello, I have been pawing through my collection of tubes I gathered since the early 60's. Many hundreds of them I need to deal with. I believe I have two of the 5080-0406 tubes. One is plainly marked as such and the other has lost some of it's outer coating along with the markings. Although it was marked 12AU7 in pencil. Both have the diamond on the bottom. I still need to test them. Any interest? Thanks
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,842
    Options
    You need 100 meaningful posts to sell here. Read the rules.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk