This one is in my yard.
pfppoc2irqrj.jpg
z5ijo3fqspkz.jpg

Comments

• F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 50,357
    The Wye oak.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• dromunds
    dromunds Posts: 10,007
    That's a biggun!
  • EndersShadow
    EndersShadow Posts: 17,580
    I've seen bigger.... it's not in my yard though.......
    "....not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted." William Bruce Cameron, Informal Sociology: A Casual Introduction to Sociological Thinking (1963)
  • dromunds
    That's what she said..... Lol
  • ken brydson
    ken brydson Posts: 8,735
    dromunds wrote: »
    That's what she said..... Lol

Damn, beat me to it...
  • Jimbo18
    Jimbo18 Posts: 2,334
    3lidrbuo39e2.jpg

Here's a little one on a plantation near Charleston, SC. My wife gives it some scale.
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 50,357
    That is one ugly tree......
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• mhardy6647
    mhardy6647 Posts: 33,608
    edited January 2017
    There is a big oak tree at one corner of the town where we lived in MA (Harvard). It served as a reference point for the original town boundary in 1732 --- and it still does. It is known as the Boundary Oak.

Surveys and boundaries are fun in New England -- ancient property deeds often describe plots of land in a rather qualitative fashion.

The Boundary Oak is pretty big, and it looks -- like a very old tree. Its health has waned in recent years, and it was almost cut down, but the town tree warden (who is also an arborist), worked hard on rescuing it, and (last I knew) it was still standing at the corner of Stow Road and Codman Hill Road (the Bolton/Harvard border).

I couldn't have find a photo on line (to my surprise), and I don't have one.
    If I manage to remember, I'll snap a photo of it sometime when I'm down there for something.

EDIT: Yeah, the poor old Wye Oak :(
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wye_Oak
    It was recorded as the largest oak tree in America, apparently.

My parents had seedlings from it which they planted, many years ago -- but they were munched upon by squirrels and didn't survive to maturity.

EDIT^2: There was a massive "Liberty Tree" on the Campus of St. John's College in Annapolis MD. It dated to the Colonial era. Turns out, to my chagrin, it wasn't an oak, it was a tulip tree -- "the largest... in America" :)
    http://msa.maryland.gov/msa/educ/html/liberty.html

It apparently met its demise at some point, though.
    EDIT: http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-srv/pmextra/oct99/25/pmliberty25.htm

liberty-tree-and-woodward-hall-st-john-s-college-annapolis-md-postcard.jpg
  • scottyboy76
    scottyboy76 Posts: 2,905
    edited February 2017
    Yep2 wrote: »
    wc1o2zkvlcbo.jpg
    Fredville Estate in England...
    600yrs old.
    beautiful trees, there are some huge old trees in England and Ireland that have such large decayed heartwood gaps that people have set up full size dining room tables, chairs, china cabinets and ran lights into.

gotta love oaks

We had a beautiful white oak behind our house that debs grandpa remembered as a little boy, one day it started looking bad, in a short while was dead, Sudden oak deathis what thay call it.
    sad
    humpty dumpty was pushed
  • mdaudioguy
    mdaudioguy Posts: 5,165
    This thread reminded me of a podcast story about the Treaty Oak in Austin, TX. If you love trees, this will make you mad, but it's a good story, nonetheless.

http://thisiscriminal.com/episode-36-perfect-specimen/
  • Jstas
    Jstas Posts: 14,804
    Wide or tall?

'Cause I have a pin oak in my backyard that is 110-115 feet tall. It's only about 5 feet wide though.
    Expert Moron Extraordinaire

You're just jealous 'cause the voices don't talk to you!
  • dromunds
    They just cut down the biggest pin oak in the world in my hometown situated just outside the student union at the university. Got oak wilt.
  • tonyb
    tonyb Posts: 32,947
    Jimbo18 wrote: »
    3lidrbuo39e2.jpg

Here's a little one on a plantation near Charleston, SC. My wife gives it some scale.

Have one that's been outside my property in the forest just like that one. I had to chew the neighbor a new arsehole a few years ago when he decided to cut off a large limb from a completely healthy hundreds of years old oak tree. Pissed me off, especially since there is fire wood from dead crap laying all over the forest floor for his outside firepit. You just can't beat stupid out of people sometimes.
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Acoustic zen Satori speaker cables
    Acoustic zen Matrix 2 IC's
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's
    Audio metallurgy ga-o digital cable

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • EndersShadow
    EndersShadow Posts: 17,580
    @tonyb

You were just mad cause it was blocking your naked arse from view when you locked yourself out of the house with just a robe on in the winter....
    "....not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted." William Bruce Cameron, Informal Sociology: A Casual Introduction to Sociological Thinking (1963)
  • Jimbo18
    Jimbo18 Posts: 2,334
    xbhja7mbxmuy.jpg

Avenue of the Oaks at Boone Hall Plantation near Charleston. First trees planted by the owners sons around 1743. They told us the avenue was the inspiration for the trees at Tara in the movie version of Gone with the Wind.
  • tonyb
    tonyb Posts: 32,947
    @tonyb

You were just mad cause it was blocking your naked arse from view when you locked yourself out of the house with just a robe on in the winter....

Nah, I do that out the front of the house. How do you think I get the neighbors to chip in and buy me drapes ?
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Acoustic zen Satori speaker cables
    Acoustic zen Matrix 2 IC's
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's
    Audio metallurgy ga-o digital cable