Adcom GFA-555 ii

Options
Found a Adcom GFA-555 ii for $450 on CL. Thoughts on this amp with yamaha rx-a1060 and s60s?
Living Room
Parasound HINT 6, Yamaha Aventage RX-A 1060, Oppo 103D, Cambridge Audio Azur 851N, KLH Model 5s, Polk CSi A6, Samsung 65" LED

Office
Yamaha A-S501, Auralic Aries Mini, LSiM 703s

Douglas Connection ICs and Cables

Best Answers

• daddyjt
    daddyjt Posts: 2,322
    Answer ✓
    Options
    That's about $100 over what you should pay for that amp. It is a good performer though, and would work find in that setup.
    "Conservative Libertarians love the country, progressive leftists love the government." - Andrew Wilkow

“Human beings are born with different capacities. If they are free, they are not equal. And if they are equal, they are not free.”
    ― Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn

• polrbehr
    polrbehr Posts: 2,826
    Answer ✓
    Options
    daddyjt wrote: »
    That's about $100 over what you should pay for that amp. It is a good performer though, and would work find in that setup.
    Agreed
    So, are you willing to put forth a little effort or are you happy sitting in your skeptical poo pile?

http://audiomilitia.proboards.com/

Answers

• rburgess714
    Options
    Cost aside I read another thread on amp sensitivity. My avr preout is 1 volt and the Adcom sensitivity is specd for 1.75. So does this mean that I wouldn't achieve optimum performance?
    Living Room
    Parasound HINT 6, Yamaha Aventage RX-A 1060, Oppo 103D, Cambridge Audio Azur 851N, KLH Model 5s, Polk CSi A6, Samsung 65" LED

Office

• tonyb
    tonyb Posts: 32,906
    edited January 2017
    Options
    Cost aside I read another thread on amp sensitivity. My avr preout is 1 volt and the Adcom sensitivity is specd for 1.75. So does this mean that I wouldn't achieve optimum performance?

Yes and no.....what that means is your amp will not be able to be driven to full power. However, most never really drive their amps to full power anyway.

Consider your speakers don't need a lot of power to begin with, they can only use so much to perform at their optimal. That amp has plenty to give even when not driven at full power over what a receiver offers. You'll experience better clarity, dynamics, and may even be able to listen at louder levels before hurting your ears.

The downside is, you may not notice these advantages until you turn up the volume some. Doesn't have to be window rattling levels, just a bit louder than casual listening levels.

HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Acoustic zen Satori speaker cables
    Acoustic zen Matrix 2 IC's
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's
    Audio metallurgy ga-o digital cable

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • rburgess714
    Options
    This makes sense so to newb it down.. the closer my preout voltage is matched to the amp sensitivity the better the sound will be at lower volumes and at higher volume it is less of an issue?

So I have my eyes on three options at this point:

Adcom 555 at 1.75 sensitivity asking price if $450
    B&K 7250 at 1.4 sensitivity asking price is $600 - but don't really need 5 channles
    Parasound HCA 1500 at 1.2 sensitivity asking price is $450

My primary use case is music though I watch tv and movies on the same system. I only have LCR and don't intend to add surrounds or a sub. I may run speakers in a different zone at some point but having multi channels is not a requirement. Also, I tend to have my system running 6-8 hrs/day not sure if that is something that needs to considered in my selection process.

Thoughts and input on the models and option I am considering?

Thanks,
    RB

u8ph5dovyk42.jpg

Living Room

Office

• leftwinger57
    leftwinger57 Posts: 2,917
    Options
    I don't know much about the other gear but the $450 for a series II model seems high. $300/350 range is where they should be whether a series 1 or 2..
    2chl- Adcom GFA- 555-Onkyo P-3150v pre/amp- JVC-QL-A200 tt- Denon 1940 ci cdp- Adcom GFS-6 -Modded '87 SDA 2Bs - Dynamat Ext.- BH-5- X-Overs VR-3, RDO-194 tweeters, Larry's Rings, Speakon/Neutrik I/C- Cherry stain tops Advent Maestros,Ohm model E

H/T- Toshiba au40" flat- Yamaha RX- V665 avr- YSD-11 Dock- I-Pod- Klipsch #400HD Speaker set-

Bdrm- Nikko 6065 receiver- JBL -G-200s--Pioneer 305 headphones--Sony CE375-5 disc