Any OLD motorcycle memories ? the classics - for those over 60.

Options
dee1949
dee1949 Posts: 1,425
edited January 2017 in The Clubhouse
... My first bike was a 1967 BSA Lightening 650cc. Bought it used (1972) with dented front wheel. Almost killed my self. Once replaced , it was a great adventure.

enjoy below. My Lightening was a custom model with the Spitfire tank painted Black. All Black and Chrome. The good Ole days !!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbjbGJ4Fwmw

Still have a 1973 Honda 250 in my basement. Stored for 30+ years.
Post edited by [Deleted User] on

Comments

• motorhead43026
    Options
    My first bike was my 1969 Triumph Bonneville. Sold it in 1978 to buy a new Bonneville.
    2 channel: Anthem 225 Integrated amp; Parasound Ztuner; TechnicsTT SL1350; Vincent PHO-8 phono pre; Marantz CD6005 spinner; Polk SDA2BTL's; LAT International speaker cables, ZU Mission IC's and power cables all into a PS Audio Dectet Power center.

Other; M10 series II, M7C's, Hafler XL600 amp, RB-980BX, Parasound HCA-1500 amp , P5 preamp, all in storage. All vintage Polk have had crossover rebuilds and tweeter upgrades.

The best way to predict the future is to invent it.

It is imperative that we recognize that an opinion is not a fact.

Imagine making politics your entire personality.
  • scottyboy76
    scottyboy76 Posts: 2,905
    Options
    My second bike was a late 60s Triumph Bonneville 650 hardtail chopper, I loved poppin around dc and northern Virginia.
    humpty dumpty was pushed
  • Jimbo18
    Jimbo18 Posts: 2,314
    Options
    Not my bike, my best friend's 1972 Norton Commando we rode around the Monterey and Carmel Beach area when we were in Calif. That's me on it when I still had dark hair and, apparently, curls.

b0pofi9y7sxn.jpg
  • Msabot1
    Msabot1 Posts: 2,098
    Options
    My dad's old 74 Knucklehead...wish I could get some pics on here of it...all original,it's an awesome old bike...runs like a top too...
  • boston1450
    boston1450 Posts: 7,453
    Options
    Well im not 60 yet. But close. Back in the early 1970's id say 1972-74ish - i was 10 or so & my father bought me a used red Honda 50 it had lights on it & blinkers & a place for a license plate. I though it was so cool. I use ta book it around our big back yard & thru the woods. Mind u i dropped it a few times or even hit a tree or two. Had a lot of fun on it & it brings back memories thinking about it. Then as i got older & i got into bigger dirt bikes & then onto road bikes. That was 45 plus years ago. Time flies
    Randy/Maine
  • motorhead43026
    Options
    Picture of me on my 78 Bonnie coming back from the Indy 500 ca 1979. Yes I did drink Schlitz.

iul3xn0lyeet.jpg
    2 channel: Anthem 225 Integrated amp; Parasound Ztuner; TechnicsTT SL1350; Vincent PHO-8 phono pre; Marantz CD6005 spinner; Polk SDA2BTL's; LAT International speaker cables, ZU Mission IC's and power cables all into a PS Audio Dectet Power center.

Other; M10 series II, M7C's, Hafler XL600 amp, RB-980BX, Parasound HCA-1500 amp , P5 preamp, all in storage. All vintage Polk have had crossover rebuilds and tweeter upgrades.

• Jimbo18
    Options
    Picture of me on my 78 Bonnie coming back from the Indy 500 ca 1979. Yes I did drink Schlitz.

iul3xn0lyeet.jpg

Looks like Peter Fonda :)
  • motorhead43026
    Options
    ^^I got that a lot in my younger days, not so much now....lol.

• sgtmick63
    sgtmick63 Posts: 166
    Options
    I also had a 1969 Triumph Bonneville that bought in 1971 for around $600 bucks. Vibrated like crazy. After driving it for 50 miles your hands, feet & arse would be numb.
  • helipilotdoug
    Options
    Bought a used BSA 650 in 71. Don't remember what year it was. It had been modified and had high rise handle bars and straight pipes. That bike was LOUD! Had a cop pull me over and tell me he heard me from several blocks away! It was fun to ride, but I sold it when moving. Never owned another bike.
    Sunfire Theater Grand IV
    Sunfire Cinema Grand Signature
    SRS 2.1TL
    SDA 2BTL's
    CSiA6
    FXiA4
    FXiA6
    SDA 2A's
    Monitor 10A's

http://www.douglasconnection.com
  • drumminman
    drumminman Posts: 3,396
    Options
    First bike was a Honda Dream 160 parallel twin. Rode it first couple of years at Uni, then sold it and a few years later bought a slightly used 1978 Honda CB-750, then moved onto a new 1980 Suzuki GS1000-G shaft drive.
    I took trips up and down the East Coast on that bike: to Nova Scotia, Florida plus trips to the NC mountains and outer banks. Great bike.

Now I ride a 2005 Hayabusa, a total blast!
    "Science is suppose to explain observations not dismiss them as impossible" - Norm on AA; 2.3TL's w/sonicaps/mills/jantzen inductors, Gimpod's boards, Lg Solen SDA inductors, RD-0198's, MW's dynamatted, Armaflex speaker gaskets, H-nuts, brass spikes, Cardas CCGR BP's, upgraded IC Cable, Black Hole Damping Sheet strips, interior of cabinets sealed with Loctite Power Grab, AI-1 interface with 1000VA A-L transformer
  • gce
    gce Posts: 2,158
    Options
    I couldn't find any pictures of my own but I had 2 of these back in the day. Got me to and from School and one time I road it up to Big Bear and back. Yamaha 175cc Enduro, my first bike. :)

cfgoafzmu0lt.jpg
    Anaheim Hills CA,
    HT 5.1: Anthem MRX 720 / BDP-Denon DBT1713UD / Polkaudio LSiM703 / W4S mAmp's / Polkaudio LSiM706c / Polkaudio LSiM702F/X's / SVS PC12-NSD / Panasonic TC P55VT30

2 Channel: Rogue RP-5 / WireWorld Electra power cord / Marantz TT-15S1/ Ortofon - Quintet Black MC / Marantz NA8005 DAC / W4S mAmp's / Synology DS 216+ll-4TB / Polkaudio LSiM703
  • Gatecrasher
    Gatecrasher Posts: 1,550
    Options
    t7hoh2.jpg
    1976 Kawasaki KV75 (Unrestored Survivor)

24biydi.jpg
    1972 Kawasaki MT1 (Unrestored Survivor)

I had one of these as a kid in the 70s.

45 years later I have four of them and the funny part is the bikes I own now are in better shape than the one I had back then.

• littlewoodboats
    littlewoodboats Posts: 823
    edited January 2017
    Options
    I am not yet 60 but working on it god willing. I started with a rigid briggs powered mini bike moving to a Honda 50 mini trail. I outgrew the Honda and moded to an 80cc Indian. Dad came home on my 13th birthday with a perfect Honda 125 Elsinore I rode until my first year of college until it got crushed one winter. Moved to a Yammie 175 like pictured above. Took the Yammie to the military until I swapped to a 650 Triumph mounted in a rigid.

Here is a shot of my dad taken in 53 while he was in the Air Force over in Japan. I still have his Ariel square four but it needs a full restoration. Not sure when I might get to it but cannot make myself sell it.

8dartke6sj0m.jpg

Dad was one of the earliest members of the All Japan Motorcycle Club

3di1euxyq1ob.jpg
    Post edited by littlewoodboats on
  • motorhead43026
    Options
    ^^That Ariel Square is sweet, and the fact you still have it.

• littlewoodboats
    Options
    Thats my old man when he was just a sprout. May he rest in peace, he is missed. He was attached to a photo recon squadron and when not flying missions running cameras they rode their bikes all over the place taking pictures. I have hundreds of photos from all over Japan and Okinawa he and his buddies shot. The Air Force did a movie about the club during a big road trip to visit some giant Budda statue stopping at temples along the way. I know the film exists as I have talked personally to four different people involved in its making but have yet to find a copy. I am sure the Air Force has it somewhere.
  • dee1949
    dee1949 Posts: 1,425
    Options
    ,,, gotta luv all those ole British bikes of the 70's when Their industry ruled.

http://www.classic-british-motorcycles.com/
  • Ricardo
    Ricardo Posts: 10,636
    Options
    gce wrote: »
    I had 2 of these back in the day.

cfgoafzmu0lt.jpg

I wish I had two of those.....Now.

2008 & 2010 Football Pool WINNER
    SOPA
    Thank God for different opinions. Imagine the world if we all wanted the same woman
  • Legender
    Legender Posts: 478
    Options
    I wish I had those two too.
    Music: Oppo103 - Parasound JC2 - Parasound A21- SDA 3.1
    Theater: Denon 3808 - B&K 7500/Emotiva XPA-3- RTi12, CSi5, RTiA7x4, PSW505
    Sleeping: Marantz 70005 - Harman Kardon 2400 - SDA 2
    2 Channel: Cary 306 SACD - Canary Audio 906 - Pass Labs x250 - PS Audio Perfectwave DAC, Polk LSiM705, SVS SB13 Ultra
    Office: Dell Optiplex, Emotiva XDA-2, Adcom 5500, LSiM 703
    Spares: Yamaha CA-810; LSi 15; Kenwood Basic M2a, Yamaha M60/M80, Polk Monitor 7, SVS SB13 Ultra
  • scottyboy76
    scottyboy76 Posts: 2,905
    Options
    Jimbo18 wrote: »

iul3xn0lyeet.jpg

Looks like Peter Fonda :)
    you do look like easy rider, you also look like a man enjoying life.

humpty dumpty was pushed
  • gwg_97
    gwg_97 Posts: 332
    Options
    My current project. xq4alf6iaz06.jpeg

System 1:Nakamichi PA-7Kenwood Basic C2Polk SDA 1C moddedSystem 2:Dynaco ST-70Polk Monitor 5B modded
  • mhardy6647
    mhardy6647 Posts: 33,029
    Options
  • pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,556
    Options
    gwg_97 wrote: »
    My current project. xq4alf6iaz06.jpeg

that's a good start now two wheels a frame and some guts and you may make a go of it :D
  • Legender
    Legender Posts: 478
    Options
    ^^^ exactly. You're going to need some more parts there to fit into this thread.
    Music: Oppo103 - Parasound JC2 - Parasound A21- SDA 3.1
    Theater: Denon 3808 - B&K 7500/Emotiva XPA-3- RTi12, CSi5, RTiA7x4, PSW505
    Sleeping: Marantz 70005 - Harman Kardon 2400 - SDA 2
    2 Channel: Cary 306 SACD - Canary Audio 906 - Pass Labs x250 - PS Audio Perfectwave DAC, Polk LSiM705, SVS SB13 Ultra
    Office: Dell Optiplex, Emotiva XDA-2, Adcom 5500, LSiM 703
    Spares: Yamaha CA-810; LSi 15; Kenwood Basic M2a, Yamaha M60/M80, Polk Monitor 7, SVS SB13 Ultra
  • gwg_97
    gwg_97 Posts: 332
    Options
    Legender wrote: »
    ^^^ exactly. You're going to need some more parts there to fit into this thread.

The other parts are in my secret vintage motorcycle cave. Plus, I need to get this one out of my basement first. z2k2ubpg9gfe.jpg

System 1:Nakamichi PA-7Kenwood Basic C2Polk SDA 1C moddedSystem 2:Dynaco ST-70Polk Monitor 5B modded
  • pitdogg2
    Options
    gwg_97 wrote: »
    Legender wrote: »

The other parts are in my secret vintage motorcycle cave. Plus, I need to get this one out of my basement first. z2k2ubpg9gfe.jpg

Ride it up the stairs looks like it would make a good enduro
  • treitz3
    treitz3 Posts: 18,316
    Options
    666.jpeg
    ~ In search of accurate reproduction of music. Real sound is my reference and while perfection may not be attainable? If I chase it, I might just catch excellence. ~
  • pitdogg2
    Options
    ^^^^ That's nice Tom
  • Jimbo18
    Options
    An AF buddy relaxing on his "chaise lounge". 750cc Triumph Bonneville 1971 or '72.

ixpjkf5ytzqv.jpg
  • motorhead43026
    Options
    First year for the T140V (750cc) was 1973. Just thought I would mention that, nice bike.