Pioneer PLX-1000

Options
98n6mk6vwd3r.jpg

I ordered this turntable during the holidays and wanted to give a quick review.

I am very happy with my decision to buy this table. It is easy to setup, is user friendly and the price is right.

There have been mixed reviews about this turntable as well as any direct drive turntable to be used as an "audiophile" source.

I cannot detect any wow and flutter or rumble.

Unlike some of the first production runs that reported having loose tonearm bearings mine are fine.

It weighs in at 28# and is immune to any footfalls. I have it between speakers and have not had even a touch of feedback.

I mounted a new Shure SC35C/N35X combo and have a vintage Shure V15III/VN35HE waiting on a headshell. I checked the tone arm weight calibration with a digital gram scale and it is dead on.

Currently I am using BJ cables to connect to the preamp.

I can report is that is sounds great to me and I am really enjoying listening to old LPs. The soundfield is wide, tall and deep. It is nice to listen to uncompressed music.

I still need to double check the cartridge alignment using a protractor and maybe adjust the anti-skate with a test record. Also I plan to clean my LP's.

That's all for now.
Mojo Audio Illuminati v3>>Quantum Byte w/LMS>>Rpi/PiCoreplayer>> Starlight 7 USB >> Mojo Audio Mystique v2 SE>>ModWright SWL 9.0 SE Signature>>Hafler DH-500 Amp+ (Musical Concepts Fully Modded)>>
SRS 2.3TL (Fully Modded)...Velodyne Optimum 8 subwoofer
1KVA Dreadnought

Marantz SA 8005
Pioneer PLX-1000 Turntable - Shure SC35C/N35X - V15III/VN35HE
Yamaha TX-540 Tuner...Sony BDP-S570
Sony PS4

Separate subpanel with four dedicated 20 amp circuits.
1. Amplification 2. Analog 3. Digital 4. Video

"All THAT IS LOST FROM THE SOURCE IS LOST FOREVER"

Comments

• honestaquarian
    Options
    It's based on the Technics SL-1200MKII table which I have and they work quite well for straight audio purposes.
    I'm using a Shure V15 Type V MR in one and a V15 Type VxMR in the other to great result!
  • erniejade
    erniejade Posts: 6,314
    Options
    That pioneer gets lots of positive reviews.
    Klipsch The Nines, Audioquest Thunderbird Interconnect, Innuos Zen MK3 W4S recovery, Revolution Audio Labs USB & Ethernet, Border Patrol SE-I, Audioquest Niagara 5000 & Thunder, Cullen Crossover II PC's.
  • pongshi
    pongshi Posts: 376
    Options
    I have heard nothing but good things about this table especially for DJing purposes. The guy (DJ) who sold me his Technics 1210 Mk2 tables replaced his tables with Pioneer PLX-1000 and raved about them.
    Living Room
    Parasound Model 2250v2 amplifier
    Parasound P5 preamp
    Turntable 1 - Technics SL-1210Mk2 turntable with Shure V-15 Type III cartridge
    Turntable 2 - Dual 1229 turntable, Dual AS-12 45 RPM stacker, Shure V-15 Type III cartridge
    Schiit Mani Phono Preamp for Turntable 2
    Oppo UDP-205 CD/SACD USB and FLAC duties
    Technics RS-1500US reel to reel
    Polk SDA SRS (2nd Gen) fully modded
  • mhardy6647
    mhardy6647 Posts: 33,032
    edited January 2017
    Options
    Not to stir the pot or anything -- but there are haters.

For the record, I haven't seen one in the flesh; looks like a perfectly competent (and not outrageously expensive) DD tt to me, so I'd expect good things of it... but there are those who, even sight unseen, were happy to throw it under the proverbial bus.

Lots of "human nature" on display in certain threads on this topic on certain other forums (best to leave it at that).

:(
  • machone
    machone Posts: 1,473
    Options
    I agree about the haters.

The reason I gave it a try is the people that "actually bought one" to try have almost always loved it and most of them have owned quality turntables. Many have owned this turntable for over a year and they are keeping it.

I am enjoying it. I did not realize how much I missed analog. I thought I would hate the clicks and pops but they just seem to fade into the background. Also I find myself listening to an entire side instead of changing to another song or portion of a song.

A friend of mine is retiring and RVing so he gave me his record collection. Now I have mine, my wife's and his collections with only a few duplicates.
    Mojo Audio Illuminati v3>>Quantum Byte w/LMS>>Rpi/PiCoreplayer>> Starlight 7 USB >> Mojo Audio Mystique v2 SE>>ModWright SWL 9.0 SE Signature>>Hafler DH-500 Amp+ (Musical Concepts Fully Modded)>>
    1KVA Dreadnought

Marantz SA 8005
    Sony PS4

• machone
    Options
    BTW
    Juno Record in the UK has the PLX-1000 listed for $540 usd. Add $100 for shipping. $640 delivered.
    1KVA Dreadnought

Marantz SA 8005
    Sony PS4

• dromunds
    dromunds Posts: 9,981
    Options
    You should like the V15 Type III with the hyper-elliptical stylus. If you ever see a Denon DL-110 for a reasonable price with low hours used snap it up. Also, an external phono preamp may really help your sound depending on what you are currently using just remember you won't be able to run it through your phono input. Even a Parasound Z-phono at a hundred or less used should be a marked improvement over internal phono preamps especially ones in newer receivers. Nice looking table. And as far as I'm concerned good direct drive is the shiznay.
  • Mike Reeter
    Mike Reeter Posts: 4,314
    Options
    Congrats on your new table, a fine looking deck that will give you years of enjoyment.

I would highly recommend a Record Cleaning Machine of some sort, if you don't already have one. Get all those LP's in pristine, clean condition!

• machone
    Options
    The Hafler 110 has upgraded components in the phono pre but it would be interesting to compare against an external phono pre.
    I am trying a Spin Clean along with a Vinyl Vac to clean the records.
    1KVA Dreadnought

Marantz SA 8005
    Sony PS4

• mhardy6647
    edited January 2017
    Options
    The Shure V15 family are kind of high-compliance for the medium mass arm on the SL-1200 clonies, I'd opine (and FWIW). Doesn't mean it can't work or sound good -- but it's probably not optimal.

(Take the advice above with a grain of salt, coming as it does from a feller who runs an ultra-low-compliance Denon DL-103 on a Technics SL-Q2 with a very similar class of arm :blush: )
  • erniejade
    erniejade Posts: 6,314
    Options
    I run a Denon DL160 on my 1200. I wonder the the KAB tweaks would work on the pioneer?
    Klipsch The Nines, Audioquest Thunderbird Interconnect, Innuos Zen MK3 W4S recovery, Revolution Audio Labs USB & Ethernet, Border Patrol SE-I, Audioquest Niagara 5000 & Thunder, Cullen Crossover II PC's.
  • mhardy6647
    Options
    prolly. It's pretty SL-1200-esque.
  • machone
    Options
    I know that the fluid dampener is an exact fit.
    1KVA Dreadnought

Marantz SA 8005
    Sony PS4