Another one bites the dust...

exalted512
exalted512 Posts: 10,735
edited April 2004 in Car Audio & Electronics
Amp number 3 to **** the fan on me
this time it was my RF 550S
last week i started getting some funky noises through my sub...like clip/hiss noise
thought it was my sub
switched subs...same thing
called RF
"no sorry, thats not covered under warranty"
so i did what any normal person would do
turned the gain up...all the way up
fried today
sending it back pretty soon
beh...at least i still have one sub...
and its under warranty
RF SUCKS ****
never again will i recommend, use, buy, or endorse any of their products because they f*cking blow
literally
this one lasted for lets see...8 months maybe?
shouldve went with hifonics...
having said that...i feel better now
but im not that mad...in fact...im kinda happy...maybe this will screw thezeb over more!
woohoo
-Cody
Music is like candy, you have to get rid of the rappers to enjoy it
Post edited by exalted512 on

Comments

• MacLeod
    MacLeod Posts: 14,358
    edited March 2004
    Damn dude. I cant believe that. I always thought Rockford Fosgate was good stuff. I was looking at getting one of the new Power series amps down the road, not now. If I remember right, there was a dude on here a few weeks ago that had a RF amp that had fried. Thats a let down. I always like RF.

Did you buy all 3 from The Zeb? Do you think that Zeb could be sending out remanufactuered ****?

Ah hell, I guess I should just buy Coustic amps. Yeah, theyre not the cleanest around but theyre pretty much bullet proof and will last forever. Ive got a 13 year old 160A that had been sitting in the garage for about 7 years straight. When my first Alpine amp died, I pulled it out and hooked it up. Played like a champ. And even though its rated at 35x2 it played louder and stronger than the 40 rms of the Alpine!
    polkaudio sound quality competitor since 2005
    MECA SQ Rookie of the Year 06 ~ MECA State Champ 06,07,08,11 ~ MECA World Finals 2nd place 06,07,08,09
    08 Car Audio Nationals 1st ~ 07 N Georgia Nationals 1st ~ 06 Carl Casper Nationals 1st ~ USACi 05 Southeast AutumnFest 1st

polkaudio SR6500 --- polkaudio MM1040 x2 -- Pioneer P99 -- Rockford Fosgate P1000X5D
  • exalted512
    edited March 2004
    no, the original amp I fried was a BD1000 that i bought from carstereotime
    2 months out of warranty or something like that
    theyre not authorized dealers....so they only had a 1 yr warranty
    that was my first mistake
    the other 2 were from the zeb...but the 450S i fried was my fault
    i had this big fight with thezeb...im talking huge...lasted a few months...it started with me buying 2 450S' to replace my BD1000
    this was last summer(2003)
    well...being the "i want it to be as loud as i can get" person...i decided to send back the 450S'(uninstalled...only 1 came out of the box and it didnt even work! but i dont count that as one of my amps that didnt work)
    send it back with some extra cash to make up the price difference for the 450S to the 550S
    they reimburse me for the one that didnt work
    the other one was "not in new condition" even though it was never taken out of the box...it didnt even come with a birthsheet!
    words were exchanged over the phone and i got no where
    so me, being the super nice guy i am decided to just make nothing out of it and go ahead and install...
    but being the newbie i am, i accidently wired the amp to 0 ohms even though it only 4 ohm stable
    purely accident though...i mean really...i thought you just connected the negative of one channel of the amp with the negative of the other channel and do the same with the posistive...
    i couldnt find anywhere to plug the speaker into...it was weird
    :rolleyes:
    anyway
    the amp ended up dying on me...
    so i sent it back and got the 550S
    a guy from thezeb wrote me an email saying that he hated me
    i **** you not
    its somewhere on this forum
    look up "**** thezeb" in the search and look for a thread that i started
    you should be able to find it
    so anyway...im always looking for new ways to screw thezeb...guess i found another one
    -Cody
  • PoweredByDodge
    PoweredByDodge Posts: 4,185
    edited March 2004
    i got three little letters for you --- M T X ... roughly translated, this means "indestructable".
    The Artist formerly known as PoweredByDodge
  • exalted512
    edited March 2004
    lol
    my next amps are going to be USAmps
    1 or 2 tube amps and the usa-3000 for my 2 adire brahmas
    :D
    -Cody
  • PoweredByDodge
    PoweredByDodge Posts: 4,185
    edited March 2004
    if you're suspension in that truck is not "butter smooth" or you go over any "rough roads", i'd be wary of tube amps... while car audio tube amps have come a long way over the past years, they are still not as reliable as solid state amps....

and - some may not realize this - but tubes, regardless of quality, will "wear out" over time... every few years you'll be replacing the tubes -- it's the equivelant to "changing the oil" in your truck.. maintainance... and they're not cheap.

i've grown more and more wary of buying a tube amp... this stuff is what i think john was worried about a while ago when i first mentioned tubes in cars... he was like "i dunno, never thought much of tubes in cars" (or something to that effect)... and i've been kind of leaning more toward that cautious side.

the bonus to USamps as a whole though is they're cheap (for what you get -- they're not cheap cheap, but for the product u get, its not high priced), durable, and if they need service, that's cheap too... i've been told they'll even talk you through a repair on the phone if its simple enough.
    The Artist formerly known as PoweredByDodge
  • exalted512
    edited March 2004
    yeah thats the only thing ive been worried about for the tube amps...i drive my truck really hard...so im not completey sure about that yet...any other suggestions on 3000x1@2ohm amp?
    -Cody
  • Jstas
    Jstas Posts: 14,804
    edited March 2004
    Other draw backs to tube amps other than being delicate and very susceptible to vibration is the maintenance that can be expensive especially if the tubes you need are not being produced anymore. Tubes also have to warm up where as solid state is pretty much instant on. Tubes can also be a source of interference.

You have to listen to one and decide for youself if the sound quality is worth the added cost in both labor and money.
    Expert Moron Extraordinaire

You're just jealous 'cause the voices don't talk to you!
  • MacLeod
    MacLeod Posts: 14,358
    edited March 2004
    Originally posted by PoweredByDodge
    i got three little letters for you --- M T X ... roughly translated, this means "indestructable".

Man I really want to like MTX, I just think they are cool as hell and Ive owned a ton of their subs dating all the way back to 2 Road Thunder 8's back in 89! I just keep hearing that they dont sound good and arent very clean. Ive never heard one though outside of a Circuit City showroom so I really dont know for sure. I especially like the way theyre built like a tank and last forever.
    polkaudio sound quality competitor since 2005
    MECA SQ Rookie of the Year 06 ~ MECA State Champ 06,07,08,11 ~ MECA World Finals 2nd place 06,07,08,09
    08 Car Audio Nationals 1st ~ 07 N Georgia Nationals 1st ~ 06 Carl Casper Nationals 1st ~ USACi 05 Southeast AutumnFest 1st

polkaudio SR6500 --- polkaudio MM1040 x2 -- Pioneer P99 -- Rockford Fosgate P1000X5D
  • TrappedUnder Ice
    TrappedUnder Ice Posts: 975
    edited April 2004
    hehe... I told ya about RF cody... :p
  • exalted512
    edited April 2004
    lol...USAmps for now on...
    RF isnt bad if you run it t like 3/4 its rated power...but if you try to run it at full power(With the gains set right)...they dont like it
    -Cody
  • TrappedUnder Ice
    TrappedUnder Ice Posts: 975
    edited April 2004
    WElll I slapped the new sub setup in the Tahoe... on the 401s... since I didnt have time to put in the Autotek amp... Sounded horrible again..l.<freakin amp>...then i remembered that the new setup is 2ohm load vs 4ohm load... what a joke... took the subs out- will try the 401s on the fronts...see if it does any better...if not...to the choppin block it goes