2ch and tv

Options
Wondering what you guys do for set up?
Now that I have gone 2.1 in our TV room, we are looking at a new cabinet. I find my Aventage quite large. So I could use my rotel 1068. Issue is I won't get the new digital formats, with that said, will I miss not having dd+ in 2.1? This also means I'd have to use Toslink or buy a marantz nr series avr to keep hdmi and all the networking features.

Thanks

Comments

• Joey_V
    Joey_V Posts: 8,520
    Options
    Yeah, that's also my issue, the size of the console prevents us from going with certain upstreams.
    Magico, JL, Emm, ARC Ref 10 line, ARC Ref 10 phono, VPI, Lyra, Boulder, AQ Wel, SRA Scuttle Rack, Bluesound
  • Willow
    Willow Posts: 10,877
    Options
    Joey_V wrote: »
    Yeah, that's also my issue, the size of the console prevents us from going with certain upstreams.

Which is why I'm going to have to go with a dedicated pre or something in the marantz nr series.
  • mdaudioguy
    mdaudioguy Posts: 5,165
    Options
    Willow wrote: »
    Issue is I won't get the new digital formats, with that said, will I miss not having dd+ in 2.1?
    Maybe? What do you watch? I don't think the "new digital formats" matter once they're downmixed to stereo.

• tonyb
    tonyb Posts: 32,906
    Options
    mdaudioguy wrote: »
    Willow wrote: »
    Issue is I won't get the new digital formats, with that said, will I miss not having dd+ in 2.1?
    Maybe? What do you watch? I don't think the "new digital formats" matter once they're downmixed to stereo.

I would think so also. If the stand is the problem, get a new stand.
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Acoustic zen Satori speaker cables
    Acoustic zen Matrix 2 IC's
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's
    Audio metallurgy ga-o digital cable

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • Willow
    Options
    The formats still come in dd+ when using an avr. Even in 2.1

As for the cabinet, we are getting a new one but I'd prefer a cleaner more streamline look of a smaller pre or avr
  • Upstatemax
    Upstatemax Posts: 2,623
    Options
    I don't think you'll miss anything...

I have my TV hooked up to my P5 via an optical cable and I have zero issues.

I run a cable line directly to the TV for regular TV (football) and I use the built in Sony apps for streaming (Netflix, Hulu, Amazon). 2ch audio gets sent to the P5 by the optical cable.

On the rare occasion I watch a movie in that room, the Oppo sends it to the P5 with my stereo analog connection while I send the HDMI cable directly to the TV for video.
  • tonyb
    tonyb Posts: 32,906
    Options
    The problem with that is your not getting the newer surround codecs that come with Blu-ray.
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Acoustic zen Satori speaker cables
    Acoustic zen Matrix 2 IC's
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's
    Audio metallurgy ga-o digital cable

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • Willow
    Options
    DSkip wrote: »
    tonyb wrote: »
    The problem with that is your not getting the newer surround codecs that come with Blu-ray.

Not a big deal for those who are more into 2 channel. I have stayed out of this because my views on it are different than HT enthusiasts and I don't know where the OP stands.

Right now I want the best of both worlds. It's the only hi-fi system in the house and the only TV. Until the basement gets finished this is where all the a-v action happens.
  • afterburnt
    afterburnt Posts: 7,892
    edited January 2017
    Options
    My basement is where the b&h action happens but thats just me