Custom Vifa Speakers

Options
I just picked up this pair of speakers from a local builder. For the monitors, he used Vifa silk dome tweeters and 6.5in woofer (I haven't removed them yet to pull the model numbers), crossovers with Solen caps and air core inductors, and 3/4in MDF cabinets generously braced and finished with real oak; each probably weighs about 25lbs. Subwoofers are a seal NHT 1259 12in woofer with similarly constructed cabinets at about 80lbs each; active crossover included.

I just started playing with them, but they appear to be well designed speakers with a fairly neutral and polite q27qu6pzl17v.jpg
p00yczq5pht7.jpg
c0s4nudo3nq3.jpg
5cbg8lp5hqv0.jpg
74mqvu0b0m6h.jpg
sound.

Comments

• pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,559
    Options
    Dang those look sweet
  • zingo
    zingo Posts: 11,258
    Options
    Nice sounding speakers for sure that are easy to listen to and error, if anything, on being too laid back. They have a bit of a boxy sound at times, but my daily speakers at work are magnetic planar. I expected more bass from cabinets that big with the hope of not using a subwoofer for my home office, but I'm also comparing these to a pair of Camber's with 8in woofers.

The subwoofers sounded strong sub 30hz wired in series and driven with a meager NHT SA1 amplifier. For office duty, my small Focal 8in subwoofer will do a good job, and I'll play with these big guys for HT duty.
  • xschop
    xschop Posts: 4,684
    Options
    The volume of the cabs look correct for a garden variety of Midwoofers. They look like a poly cone MW. It would be neat if you could swap in a Polk MW with doped paper.
    Don't take experimental gene therapies from known eugenicists.
  • VR3
    VR3 Posts: 28,020
    edited February 2017
    Options
    - Not Tom ::::::: Any system can play Diana Krall. Only the best can play Limp Bizkit.
  • zingo
    Options
    You are correct they appear to be a DR7 clone; kewl! Nice sounding speakers with 1" braced cabinets, so a fun find even if I want to tinker on them.
  • zingo
    edited February 2017
    Options
    I bought some Parts Express grills for the woofers, and they give them a very nice look. I also picked-up a used Behringer NU6000DSP to power the subwoofers. It's a neat amp with great programmable DSP, tons of power, and fans that are a little louder than I hoped... :wink: However I've just started playing with it's crossovers, filters, and other features.

oz84y7abyyfh.jpg

mye5frz9szyo.jpg

acpelm1ljp5f.jpg
  • zingo
    Options
    Behringers software

vnrnf86vs8i4.jpg

aawr1crigmht.jpg

opwxc66gk5gy.jpg

• Mike Reeter
    Mike Reeter Posts: 4,314
    Options
    Looks like the builder did a very nice job on the cabinets!
  • zingo
    Options
    Yes. The cabinets alone were worth the price of admission. Having done builds with the NHT 1259 before, they are very nice drivers in seal cabinets, but don't have the power handling or excursion of more modern woofers. I have the power on the amp limited to 1000w per driver, but if I accidentally toast them during a movie, the large cabinets would be perfect for a variety of drivers.

Same with the monitor cabinets; the drivers are showing their age with some plastic fatigue, but there are many well designed 2-way monitors I could instLl in the roomy and ported cabinet.