MLP Lossless/24-bit LPCM/DTS 5.1 Digital Surround DVD-A a layman's explanation

I have googled all of this stuff but my brain is broken, it don't work no more. Can one of you explain it to me in the we todd did version?

Comments

• afterburnt
    afterburnt Posts: 7,892
    and for the hell of it, throw in a little bit about Blew Ray Audio.

Thanks in retreat.
  • mdaudioguy
    mdaudioguy Posts: 5,165
    I'll have what he's having! :D
  • afterburnt
    afterburnt Posts: 7,892
    Hey, I can hear the difference but I just want to know the technicals of it. I have a bunch of Steven Wilson (Blew Ray) and some Steven Wilson remixes of old stuff (DVD-A), Yes, King Crimson etc. There are a lot of replay options and I wanted to know the how and why of the various formats available on the disc. DVD-A is kind of weird but that is what he does the remixes in. Some are better in 5.1 and some are better in stereo but that depends on which record. FWIW the Blew Rays are superior anyway you look at it but they are not remastered from decades old masters.
  • tonyb
    tonyb Posts: 32,902
    Like every other recording....it depends. Just because something is recorded in a higher format, or remastered is no guarantee it will sound better than a standard redbook CD. Taking a 24 bit file of 2 channel music and remixing it into a DTS surround 5.1 format might work for some recordings and sound funky on others.

I do think Blu-ray audio in it's DTS HD Master audio is outstanding though, and that certainly has legs to explore.
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Acoustic zen Satori speaker cables
    Acoustic zen Matrix 2 IC's
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's
    Audio metallurgy ga-o digital cable